Garmin Support Poor? Issue with Track log data syncing

Been on the phone/email for the past few days re a track which has failed to sync to the online "Map" portal. Just keep being pointed to FAQ entries which are unrelated or have read 100 times.

The satellite "send" has worked fine with 10min polling showing, however the 15second a logging not so. Can see the required logging data on Inreach itself and when viewing the track on the earthmate app just can't seem to get this data across to the online "Map" portal.

This was first real test int he field, so have lost complete trust in the product and Garmin..

• Yeah was a bit of a last resort attempt/nothing to lose as I have been getting limited feedback from support and understand that the inReach has no way of doing a manual/direct extract to a PC like the old explorers/new map devices.

•  We are sorry about your experience with the support team and I have reached out personally to that Garmin Support Center and talked to their leadership about your experience.  If you run into issues in the future, please let us know here so we can make sure that it is a more enjoyable experience next time.

Also,  thank you for all your help too.

• Anyway of passing on feedback to the dev team that the inreach really does need a offline sync application, even if it just a beta/unofficial app. In cases like this if the online portal is failing the device is useless.

My device in question is only weeks old so bit frustrating to be dealing with these issues so soon. I have a trip coming up in Novemeber which I need to rely on this device for track recording. At the moment I have no trust in it so have just purchased a Spot tracker to take on trip instead. Garmin inreach will be tracking my desk drawer location.

• Not sure what you mean by "offline". Regardless of the sync channel (wired desktop sync, Earthmate app sync, Explore app sync, or whatever), it all talks to the same server back end.

The ability to export (for example, in .gpx format) from the phone apps would be useful, though.

• Yeah ability to extract data off the device itself directly to a pc or phone without syncing to portal.

Ie with my original issue, earthmate was Bluetooth connected to inreach and was showing the logging data. If I could have just selected the track writhin the app and saved as a gpx etc I would have had the info I needed. Or like the older explorer units where you could use Google earth/basecamp/GPSMap to extract the device logs.

• Having a further think, being able to save the gpx from within Earthmate would also help when:

- you may not be able to access a internet connection for multiple weeks to undertake a sync

- keeping track sizes small. One of the first questions from Garmin support was that my track was too large.. Being only 4 hours worth of tracking i was a little concerned when i was told this. Being able to take a daily "offline backup" of tracks when on a multiple day trip would be a great feature.

• There used to be no issues with track log sizes. Then Garmin either limited it or did something to cause an error. I've used this device since the initial release of the delorme device making huge 1 sec track logs with no data size issues. If Garmin is going to say the track log is too big for their limited servers then we need a way to download the tracks directly from the device without using their portal. I can't even access my latest track and I could care less about the portal. I really wish delorme didn't sell out. I have lost faith in Garmin years ago and was super bummed to hear that Garmin bought them.

• Depending on which iR device you have, you may be able to get the track log directly from the device. For example, you can do this with the GPSMAP 66i. 

I don't believe this applies to the Mini. Although you can mount the Mini as a removable USB "drive", I don't think that the logs are exported as .gpx files. I could be wrong about that, though. Will check when I get a chance.

I no longer have an active legacy device. But I believe that "sync" is the only way to get the logged tracks from an SE+/Explorer+. 

Note that there is an upper limit to the size of the logged track on the device itself. But it's quite large. And some of the devices, such as the 66i, provide the ability to start a new log automatically. Still limited by the overall storage on the device, though.

• I have the original inreach explorer from Delorme and I don't believe there is any way to extract the data from it other than through the portal. I have a weekends worth of tracking at 2 sec intervals and it is only using 19% of the internal capacity. Yet the portal/explorer site can't even show it. I used to use 1 sec  intervals regularly with zero issues. 

• Been a while since I tried it. But you ought to be able to import this as a track (as opposed to a route). I THINK that the imported track retains full fidelity so that you can export it again and get what you want (a .gpx or a .kml with all the points). I do not know if it displays correctly in the portal, but my recollection is that it's all there.

Please post back if you try this. I would like to know the actual answer.