Garmin Support Poor? Issue with Track log data syncing

Been on the phone/email for the past few days re a track which has failed to sync to the online "Map" portal. Just keep being pointed to FAQ entries which are unrelated or have read 100 times.

The satellite "send" has worked fine with 10min polling showing, however the 15second a logging not so. Can see the required logging data on Inreach itself and when viewing the track on the earthmate app just can't seem to get this data across to the online "Map" portal.

This was first real test int he field, so have lost complete trust in the product and Garmin..

• inReach Explorer+, so ability to extract data off the unit itself to a PC etc is hamstrung to syncing only which has been attempted via earthmate and desktop inReach Sync app.

Testing with new tracks works fine, can get the 15sec log data to show. Issue is just with one track in particular which just happened to be my first "real world" usage.

Going round and round with support at the moment re "too much data" unrealted FAQ questions etc, however it isn't a huge track and am planning to do larger ones in future. At the moment trust in product is zero so about to bin this inReach and buy a spot device.

• What’s the symptom when you attempt to sync? Errors of some sort or just fails to show on the map?

• No errors, looks as if the sync has occurred with no issues. Just when checking the actual Map portal/MapShare only data from the satellite sync shows (ie 10min polling).

When looking at the same track on the inReach itself or on the earthmate app, track detail shows with the required 15second high detail.

PS, nice work posting on these forums. In the reading i have done for this issue you show up in the posts with very suitable information. Shame the same can not be said for Garmin support.

• I don’t have an active legacy device to test this. I have seen issues with the Mini, which also uses the sync app and Earthmate for data sync. I have never seen this particular symptom. The usual symptom there is failure to combine the sent points and the logged points into a single path on the map. 

I know support probably asked some of these things. Does the detailed track show at all in the left sidebar? Does zoom or pan make any difference? Asking the latter because I’ve seen some really weird rendering problems...

The only suggestion I have for possibly avoiding issues in the future is to be sure you clear the detailed track log on the device before starting a new track, or set of related tracks.

• Yeah track looks otherwise normal on portal. Track just looks like a normal track which has not had a sync done to upload the additional logging data (ie 10min polling data only). Zooming in and out just highlights the logging data which is not uploaded.

Re the clearing, yeah I do this currently anyway (have used explorer models in the past) to make sure I have a "clean" device before each trip out. I just haven't cleared the device post this trip yet as the inreach/earthmate is the only copy of hte data at the moment.

Will give support a few more days before requesting a refund on the device being not fit for purpose.

• Just to make things worse, logged into my portal account and all my account details now reflect those of the support agent helping on the call earlier Bit of a breach of privacy for that support agent as now I have their personal mobile and address.

On hold again to Garmin Service Desk for last 15min now to report...

• If you're still engaged with support, don't clear the device again. Even with the data present, the sync probably isn't doing anything because it thinks the data has already been sent. But if you clear the data, subsequent syncs definitely won't get it back.

Did support ask you for the sync log from the desktop sync application?

• Well just managed to sort this out myself.

Deleted all tracks (including the track in question) from the online portal and then just did a resync via earthmate/device. Track in question popped up straight away.

• So the original sync was busted. Deleting it from the web side allowed a re-sync to work. In general, you need to be careful about this kind of thing. When it's working right, sync is (mostly) bi-directional. Deleting things wholesale from one end can result in deleting them all over.

Glad it worked out for you, though.