Tracking ascent/elevation gained using InReach

Hi,

I purchased a Garmin Map64ST about six months ago and it works exactly as I expect including the Basecamp app where I can view my tracks, routes and edit them to clean up extra time in parking lots and when I forget to stop the track.

I recently purchased an InReach Explorer+ to give my wife a sense of security when I go on longer solo hikes/climbs.  I thought it would do everything the 64ST does but also include satellite communication.  That was a seriously flawed assumption.

The InReach won't work with Basecamp.  It will work with the explore.garmin.com website  but the site contains a fraction of the functionality of Basecamp most notably for me, the inability to track my elevation gains and edit tracking points in tracks.  Seems like a huge step backward.

Does anyone know if Garmin will ever enable these simple features in any form for InReach?  Seems silly to have spent $450 on InReach and still have to  carry my $300 64ST just to be able to get access to data.

Thanks,

Lance

• Garmin purchased the inReach line from DeLorme a while back. The SE+/Explorer+ were the last two devices developed by DeLorme before the acquisition. As such, they are not full members of the Garmin ecosystem. In particular, they do not use standard Garmin cartography and they do not interface with most Garmin software (including BaseCamp and the older mapping software). I doubt that this will ever change since there devices are now two generations back.

The Mini was developed by Garmin. However, it's not a mapping device. It is better about integrating with the ecosystem. For example, firmware updates are delivered via Garmin Express. However, it's still not a full member of the ecosystem.

Unfortunately, the device you probably wanted is the recently released GPSMAP 66i. This device is functionally equivalent to the rest of the GPSMAP 66 series with the addition of iR messaging. It's a full member of the ecosystem in every respect.

• Thanks for the help, much appreciated.  I might consider the 66i if it is compatible with Basecamp.  From what I'm reading in forums, sounds like Basecamp is being phased out and since the 66i is new it doesn't seem like it would be compatible.  My current thoughts are to return the Explorer+ and suspend my contract until I can determine which device or platform will provide what I need.  Maybe a Mini for sat and one of the many phone apps for mapping.

• I think it is true that BaseCamp is being phased out. For example, there's a long-standing bug with the component that sends maps to the device. Hadn't been fixed the last time I looked - people are rolling back to the prior version of that component. And I have seen public information (not sure where) to that effect.

I don't use BaseCamp much myself. But I don't see any reason why the 66i would not be compatible. It can produce either .fit or .gpx files for tracks. It uses t he standard Garmin maps. The few things I have tried, such as directly dropping .gpx files onto the device, have worked just fine.