FYI: KML feeds currently not returning tracks, but it's being worked on

I frequently use KML feeds to show the current position and tracks of InReach users in Google Earth.  Recently the position has been returned correctly however the tracks have been empty.

I spoke with Garmin technical support about this today.  They confirmed the issue and, with a bit of research, determined that a ticket is open to address it.  If I understood correctly, this was first reported to them approximately a month ago. I didn't receive an estimate of when the issue might be resolved.

The agent, Marvin, was thoroughly knowledgeable and very professional.  I've used Garmin devices for many, many years and this has nearly always been my experience with their telephone support. This superb support is among the top reasons that I keep buying Garmin devices and recommending them to others.

-- Pete

• The KML-feed works exactly as documented.
    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=tdlDCyo1fJ5UxjUbA9rMY8 

What you are trying constantly ignore, is to provide starting date to your link. Without providing starting date the KML feed will show you just the very last point. Only one point, no track. Your track example is absolutely correct.

If you need to see historical data (early today, yesterday, last month etc) you have to provide starting date/time like this: inreach.garmin.com/.../SAMPLE1?d1=2012-10-16T06:19z

The SAMPLE1 is your inReach share name.

I just built my own website to see historical inReach data and to let others see my Live-data and I never had any issue with KML-feed.

• If you like coding then you like this GitHub project with all the nice track management logic: https://github.com/LeivoSepp/TrackMe-inReach-app-in-Azure-for-free

I try to find time to publish the entire project into GitHub. Currently the website code is missing from GitHub, but it is just simple javascript page. Nothing special.

• Thanks very much for responding, @Leivo.  I'm sorry if it appeared that I was ignoring your guidance.

The example result I posted here on 5/17/2020 was from a query that explicitly included "?d1=...".  It returned a track consisting of just one point. And yet... it's working for you.  There must be some difference... Experimented more...

I THINK I FOUND THE ISSUE!

I was using Loader URLs as described in the Additional Information section of the documentation. (It says these are specifically for use with Google Earth.) When given a Loader URL, Garmin's servers return a Direct URL and periodic refresh information which Google Earth then uses to fetch the location information.  Garmin's servers are returning that Direct URL without the date(s) that were specified on the Loader URL.  Manually editing the Direct URL to include the dates returns a complete track.

So you were right.  The issue was the lack of a start date.  It was, however, omitted by Garmin.

My suspicion is that Garmin made a change on their servers sometime between Summer 2018 and Summer 2019 that resulted in any dates specified on Loader URLs not propagating to the generated Direct URLs.  I'll report that and let Garmin decide which behavior is correct.  Meanwhile, I'll use Direct URLs and manually add the periodic-refresh parameters.

I would not have found this without your prodding. Thanks again for taking interest and sharing your success.

-- Pete