InReach 1.5 will sync when connected to desktop but will not turn on when disconnected and batteries installed... idea?

Lithium AA installed, brand new. No LED lights appear. Any tricks for a reset button?

• I don't know the answer to this. Hopefully, somebody who does will chime in. You might also try a call to tech support. 

• The term "Reset", this term does not appear in the manual.  I just put new cells in both mine and they started up OK.  I have no reset button on mine nor does the manual describe such.  Mine acts exactly as described below when I put cells in them.
    From manual:  
    Power  • To turn the inReach on, press and hold the Power button until the Power LED flashes green and then release the button. When powered on, the Power LED will flash green once every three seconds. • To turn the inReach off, press and hold the Power button until the Power LED flashes rapidly and then release the button. • When power is low, the Power LED flashes red once every three seconds. See Batteries on page 4 for more information. • When there is not enough power to send any messages or tracking points, the Power LED flashes red every 1.5 seconds. See Batteries on page 4 for more information.
  • If CowboySlim doesn't have the answer, chances are nobody out here does.

I'm a little concerned that this might be a hardware problem - just because it works on USB but not battery. I don't actually own one. But the wired sync clearly uses USB power. The power button has to be working well enough to put it in sync mode, so it's probably not the power button itself. Leads me to believe there's an issue with the battery contacts, wiring, or power supply. Call to tech support is probably in order.