Mapshare link on Facebook

One of my friends who own an InReach just posted a link to follow them on their voyage on Facebook. I didn't know this was supported. I know how to text and email these mapshare links, but don't know how to put it on FB, unless I just copy the link from the email/text into FB. Really, that easy?
  • You can post a static link to your MapShare page anywhere you want. This is the link that you see on the Social tab of your account, right under the row of MapShare buttons.

It used to be possible to link your Facebook account to your inReach account and post directly from the device to your FB timeline. This is no longer possible. Something about changes in FB privacy policies. Supposedly, it's still possible to post to a page (as opposed to your timeline), but I've never tried to set that up.You'd start from the Link Facebook button near the bottom of the social tab.
  • Hi Twolpert- First of all... thank you for all the posts and great answers you provide on this forum. I hope Garmin recognizes your value to them!

So what they have posted doesn't seem static. Each time I click it, it updates the new location. Perhaps that's what you mean, that I need to click it for the update, vs live updating?
  • What I meant by static is that the text of the link itself does not change (as long as you don't change your MapShare URL). And the link always points to your MapShare page. But yes, the MapShare page itself is updated in (more or less) real time.

This is different from the links that are sent (from your device via the Garmin servers) with individual SMS or email messages. Those links point to special-purpose pages which display information about that particular message, including a map showing the location.

I would assume that the information posted to a FB page would be similar to the latter - pointing to a similar message-specific page, not to your MapShare page. But I haven't tried it, so that's an assumption.