Show Mapshare as iframe an web page

I am a new forum user setting up my new Inreach Explorer+. It seems to be a very nice thing to use. So far I am happy.

I'd like to integrate the Mapshare map on my own web page. I have found that I can use iframe for that.

However the Mapshare always start with all features visible, which make the map too small, I think. Attached is an example of how it looks like. I think the control panel on the left side takes too much space. The user can minimize the control panel himself. But at next home page visit the control panel is maximized again, as in the image.

Is there any way that I can make the control panel start as minimized instead? That would then show the map in a more suitable size. ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1462277.png
  • Indeed, this is what I want to do as well. Since 50% of my web traffic is mobile, this Mapshare map is totally unusable. By giving us some control over what is displayed, it would be a lot better. And, we aren't able to use the KML feed because of the Javascript CORS issue. Strange to have such as polished product but no good way to display on a (WordPress) website.
  • Yes, it's a pity that the control panel cannot be made smaller or hidden at startup.

I am thinking of trying the KML feed to get the track points and show them in other map software instead. I think I'll then need to convert the KML data to GPX, but haven't figured out yet how to do that. I need to find some php script examples.

What is that CORS issue about?
  • It is exactly the same issue I have and I am quite annoyed by it. The Inreach Explorer+ is such a great product but the implementation possibilities are shockingly bad

• I'm just starting on a journey looking at integrating an InReach 'live' track to a Kayak Challenge website (in this case Wordpress). I understand the CORS issue (Cross-Origin Resource Sharing) - i.e. you have your own website abc.com and it's trying to access a resource on garmin.com which isn't configured to *allow* requests from abc.com.

I don't yet have access to a live Garmin Explore account or device, but i'm doing some initial research. As you say, embedding the Mapshare iframe is the simple and dirty solution for showing a live map on a different website, but if you want better control or to use different base maps you need the somehow get the KML data from Garmin.

I've come across a wordpress plugin called Trackserver which supposedly includes "A proxy for external KML and GPX tracks, to work around CORS restrictions." https://www.grendelman.net/wp/ 

Might be worth a look. I'd also be VERY interested in anyone who has managed to embed a live map into a Wordpress website showing live(ish) Garmin Explore data.

• quick update - yes the Wordpress Trackserver plug-in works nicely - have now got a clean OpenStreetMap base working with a KML file pulled in from an external server loading over the top on a Wordpress page. The CORS issue is circumvented by using proxy: before the external URL. 
    i'm currently testing with a sample KML file but i haven't yet tried a live Garmin Explore KML feed. need my client to setup an account and their device for some proper testing of that. but assuming Garmin spits out decent KML data it *should* technically work?? fingers crossed.

• I tested this with real inReach and this solution doesnt show the track but only the last known point. The reason is that the KML-feed contains only one point and not a track or series of coordinates.
    If inReach will send out a tracking point, it will not append to the KML feed but it will replace the KML-feed with that last point. 

• There was a reported issue with the track portion of the KML feed. It's described in this thread.

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/inreach/f/inreach-general/169396/fyi-kml-feeds-currently-not-returning-tracks-but-it-s-being-worked-on/950428#950428

It may well be that the ticket is still open. You should call tech support. Be prepared to reference the thread in question. The more people who report the problem, the more likely it is to get fixed. Note that the person who originally reported the problem says that engineering closed the ticket prematurely at least once.

• ah that's useful to know. wondering whether to offload to these guys https://www.followmychallenge.com/ as they have a slick solution that seems more appropriate for longer challenges 2-3 months etc.

• Guys.

It's working. Really.
    Without starting date it shows only one point.
    Putting starting date like this: ?d1=2020-02-01T06:19Z it shows all the points connected by line and starting from that date.
    This is the screenshot from my Wordpress site.

• Well done!

It's just the slight problem I'm on a Joomla site.