This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sending SMS Problem

Trying to send an SMS to a friend in Florida using my inReach.
- AT&T
- He never receives the SMS messags
- Sending an SMS to his wife's phone in the same room works fine (also AT&T)
- Sending message as an e-mail to his e-mail address works fine.

But SMS messages to his phone number never get through. I can see the messages on my Garmin web account. Is there a way to see if those messages were actually sent??

We checked his phone for blocked numbers but didn't see the incoming number shown on his wife's phone.

SMS messages to my AT&T phone in Arizona work fine.

Thanks,
  • Everyone,

This issue has been fixed.

If you want to stay up to date on the status of the inReach Network or be notified of any other issues, feel free to check the inReach status page (https://status.inreach.garmin.com/in...s/4f1fgnczxq4p). Also, if you have not already, Subscribe for updates by clicking on the blue button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
  • This issue has NOT been fixed.
  • We have been having issues too. My husband is remote and my phone won’t receive texts but my sons will?? InReach told me several days ago it was resolved but mine still isn’t working. Brand new SE+ that was just set up, so it shouldn't need synced. Worked before he left town. InReach told me it was some type of spam filtering that ATT was doing with texts and had to do with the location services being sent with messages. We turned that off and it still isn’t working.
  • Although I doubt that it has anything to do with the problem, a brand new device does need to sync.

"Location services" is a misnomer. The actual problem apparently had to do with the fact that the message text contains your latitude and longitude. I am not sure what you did to"turn it off". To do so, you need to go to the account tab for your inreach.garmin.com account. In the lower right corner, there are SMS options. Turn off the option to "include my latitude and longitude".

You may also want to turn off "include a link to an online map". The only reason I mention this is that the shortened URL in the link was the cause of the previous problem with ATT and SMS delivery.

Supposedly, both of these things have been fixed. If you are still having problems - particularly after turning off both of the options above - then please call tech support again. Tell them it is still not working. The only way they know about these things is if customers tell them.

Also, the conventional wisdom here is to use email instead of (or in addition to) SMS. Email delivery is much more reliable in general because there are a lot fewer moving parts (and third-parties) involved in it. This is not to say that you are not entitled to complain about problems with SMS. Just that email is a way to get around the problem in the short term - particularly since you seem to imply that you need an immediate solution.

If you would like to do some checking on your own, please see this post: https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-the-trail/inreach/inreach-mini/1479047-a-litany-of-inreach-mini-woes-erratic-message-delivery?p=1479519#post1479519

Tech support will appreciate any information you can provide along the lines outlined in that post.