This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can I use the SOS to request roadside assistance?

I had an incident last fall where I needed AAA roadside assistance in an area that had no cell phone reception. I told myself I would never let myself end up in that situation again! I was thinking I would need a satellite phone, but then it was suggested to me that the inReach would be a more affordable solution. But I'm trying to figure out how I would handle the exact situation I was in. How would I call AAA? The sales clerk at REI said that wouldn't be enough of an emergency to use the SOS. He suggested that I would text one of my contacts and tell them I need roadside assistance, and they would have to contact AAA for me. I really don't have anyone that I feel I could rely on for that. Is it true that using the SOS to request them to contact roadside assistance for me would be considered a misuse of the SOS? If so, do you have other suggestions for the best way to handle such a situation? Thank you.
  • nsew has this right. Unless there are injuries, this would be a misuse of the SOS function. Think of it as calling 911 because your pizza delivery is late :-D SMS direct to AAA is a much better option if it's available to you.
  • Thank you nsew and twolpert for taking the time to reply.
    I wanted to follow up on this, for anyone who runs across this post and has the same question I had.

I called AAA and confirmed (as I had suspected, because I had searched and couldn’t find any reference to this) that there is no way to request roadside assistance via SMS. You’ll notice that the link that nsew shared regarding AAA SMS Terms and Conditions only refers to the messages they send you to report the status, after you have requested assistance. The only way to request assistance from AAA is via phone or the app, which of course would require cellular service.

I had seen a posting in another forum where someone said that IRECC was able to contact AAA and coordinate a tow to the nearest service station. Also that they had used them a couple of times, all for vehicle failure out of cell range. That post was a couple of years old, so I thought it was worth posing my question here rather than just believe what I had read. But now I started to wonder if what that person reported was still true, because everyone I asked said that needing roadside assistance would not qualify as an emergency. (With all due respect, I think being stranded by the side of the road in a remote area without cellular service is a little more serious than late pizza delivery!) So I found the phone number for IRECC non-emergency customer service and called them to ask. After all, they do talk about how “emergency” could mean safety, not just injury. I described my scenario and she said in that situation they would contact my emergency contacts. She did not say they would contact AAA for me. I would have to rely on having my emergency contacts call AAA for me. So I think it’s questionable if there’s any value in using the SOS first, rather than just message your own contacts asking them to call AAA.

I know that seems like the simplest solution, but I was really hoping that the IRECC would coordinate contacting AAA as that other person claimed they would do. After all, how do I know that my contacts are available and able to call AAA when I’m stranded? Seems like that’s the advantage of having a 24x7 manned center. It’s not like once I send an SOS, the IRECC automatically sends out the search and rescue. I’m able to send a message describing the situation, and they wouldn’t have to do much to call AAA for me. But if the situation ever arises, I will know to try using my own contacts first.
  • Thanks for taking the time to post their response.
  • Interestingly, the latest Garmin promotional video for inReach specifically lists this scenario as an acceptable reason to use SOS. It claims that GEOS will treat this like any other emergency, including dispatching a tow truck and contacting the emergency contacts on your account. I don't know if this is actually a policy change or just some marketing type going overboard.
  • Thank you for that update. While I could certainly try my own contacts first in this scenario, it's comforting to know that I wouldn't be "in trouble" for resorting to use the SOS if necessary.
    Where would I find the video you mentioned?
  • Took me a while to find it again. Video here. In fairness, they did drag a blizzard into the roadside assistance scenario.
  • I just contacted GEOS Travel Safety Solutions, home of the IERCC, and the response was the SOS feature can be used for a variety of scenarios from life threatening situations to running out of gas. I followed up with a question regarding cost. For roadside assistance through SOS, GEOS will contact roadside providers (i.e. AAA) but you must provide the phone and membership details and the only cost incurred would be from the service provider. In this case, the membership would cover the cost.

I am only sharing responses to my questions from GEOS Travel Safety Solutions and do not guarantee so please confirm for yourself.
  • Old thread here; I couldn't find any more recent ones on this topic.  To me this is a valuable potential use of this device: being able to use it to request roadside assistance (for yourself or someone you come upon needing vehicle assistance) in a cellular dead zone.  My auto insurance-provided roadside assistance (Progressive) has a process that is similar to most I'm guessing:

1. Simply start your request online, through the app, or over the phone. No matter how you do it, we'll need your name, policy number, and a description of your vehicle's problem.
    2. Wait for the service provider—we'll send them right to your location. They'll either fix the problem on site or offer a tow to the nearest qualified repair shop.

So have we confirmed that we can use IERCC via SOS to do this (= have IERCC call the roadside assistance 1-800 number and give them your name, policy number, description of vehicle problem, etc.)?

• There is no telling if the information in this thread is valid at this late date. You should probably contact GEOS directly to ask about current policy.

But yes, if the service provider requires anything more than your name and location, I would assume that you would have to relay it through GEOS. And if GEOS does not already know how to contact the service provider, you'll have to tell them that as well.