In rapid need of help. Can't charge inreach

Hi everyone - I'm currently remote in the Andes and my inreach se is suddenly having a strange problem with charging. When I go to plug it in to my external charging battery pack, it flashes an alternating exclamation point and ac charge symbol. When I plug it in while turned off, it will come up with the "time to full charge screen" briefly, before it shuts off. I've tried two different charging cords as well as plugging it directly in to my solar panel...the symptoms persist.

It's been charging just fine for the past week. Unfortunately I'm now preparing for a summit push and I'm at 84% and dwindling. I don't dare turn it on except for summit day so I at least have enough power for "SOS" functions, should it be necessary.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Sorry to advise this isn't a problem that can be fixed by forum help. You have a hardware issue that can only be solved by a return to vendor. Either your charging connection has gone bad or the battery is failing. If the SE is more than two years old, the battery issue could be likely.
  • Although it's still possible, sudden onset argues against it being a battery problem - particularly since the unit still shows a charge and still operates. On the other hand, you've tried more than one cable. I can only think of one other thing that can be done in the field. Visually inspect the USB connector on the device to make sure there's nothing in it. If you see anything, trying blowing it out. Can't recommend sticking anything into the connector. Even if your probe is non-conducting, you risk doing more harm than good.

Even if it's not the battery, it's still quite possible that it's some other internal component that has failed. Nothing you can do about that in the field.
    1. Power off inReach Mini
    2. Press and hold: Back, Down and Power
    3. Once a USB icon and Gear Icon appear on the screen, let go of all buttons. 
    4. Press and Hold SOS until the device displays "Applying Update" then let go. The device will power off after several seconds. 
    5. Power the device back on and choose the correct language.
    6. The device will start the activation setup wizard.