Password not recognised in Sync

Well that didn't take long. Garmin takes over and bang there goes all the software.

I can log into the explore site with my password and even download the new sync update. BUT when i open the sync app it says that my password is incorrect. Then locked me out.

Typical Garmin.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

I'm receiving the same error when trying to sync with the Earthmate app. Sign-in works fine via the web, but Earthmate seems to have trouble authing.

I've cut a support case and will report back if anything useful comes out of it.

• This is still a problem. Ive tried everything in this thread and still no joy #frustrated

• Whatever problem you are having does not apply to everybody. I just tested it with the Earthmate app and it works fine. (Not clear if you're talking about the desktop sync app or Earthmate. This thread went OT somewhere along the line.) Either way, call tech support. It's possible that it's a problem with your specific account.

• i had the exact same problem but found that my explore.garmin.com password DID NOT work for the inreach login credentials.  What did work was that I have a different password for sso.garmin.com and that did in fact allow me to login to in reach and successfully sync my device.

• sso.garmin.com is not an independent thing. Garmin does single-signon across ALL of it's properties. This works well for people who have only ONE Garmin account. It is the source of massive confusion for anybody with more than one. 

You sign into ANY Garmin property. SSO arranges things so that you are now signed in to that SAME account at ALL Garmin properties. For example, if you sign into the forums as [email protected], you are now ALSO signed into explore.garmin.com as [email protected].

To further muddy the waters, when you sign in at any property, Garmin helpfully CREATES an account for you at any other Garmin property where that account does not exist. Suppose you sign in to the forums as [email protected], but there is no account for [email protected] at explore.garmin.com. As soon as you sign into the forums, Garmin magically CREATES an account at explore.garmin.com. It has no associated devices, but the account exists. If you navigate to explore.garmin.com, you will find yourself logged into the automatically created account.

It is easy to MISS the fact that this is not your "real" inReach account. It is particularly easy to miss when you log into something like desktop sync, where you cannot see anything for context. 

I BELIEVE that this applies to desktop sync because a browser is somehow involved. I do not know about mobile devices. For a mobile app, you should always check to make sure that the app is logged into the proper inReach account.

• The problem with browsers is caused with cookies and at least for me it is slightly annoying. I would prefer to have one account in tab1 and other account in tab2 etc. Now I have to have number of browsers and use also 'private' browsing window in each as I have to manage number of accounts and administer number of profi group accounts.

With the desktop sync software it is slightly different. From beginning it was possible to enter the credentials of own account, regardless of the cookie stored in any browser. However in our professional account we did set up an extra user just for sync. 

I remember I had long dispute with support, who claimed that there is no way to use other user credentials for sync except the one the device is assigned to. However with an group account, one can use any user to sync any device in that particular group account,independent of any of the browsers on my pc.