Is it worth buying 66i because of battery type?

Hello all,

I do consider buying Garmin 66i or 66st. The main benefit of 66i is a rechargeable battery, especially if I'm carrying solar powerbank during the hikes. On the other hand, most likely, I will not be an avid user of inReach features (paying for something not being used), hence, the 66st makes more sense. Which one would you select in my position? In the long run there is another issue for consideration, specifically, lithium batteries, like any other battery, have a lifespan, so it will be less and less useful over time. There is no information on replacing the battery.

Thanks,

Michael

Parents
  • All inReach devices have a LiIon battery which cannot be replaced by the user. Once it reaches end of useful life, Garmin will service it (most likely, swap it with a refurbished unit) for a fee. You can probably find instructions for replacing it yourself - as well as third-party compatible batteries. However, this will void your remaining warranty (if any). And you run the risk of damage to things like the water-tight seals even if you have no problems with the electronics.

If you like rechargeable batteries, you can use them in any Garmin handheld. However, they will not recharge IN the unit. You need an external charger. 

Judging from the forum traffic, most people seem to prefer the standard form factor replaceable batteries (AA or whatever) over the non-replaceable LiIon. Most of that discussion seems to center around either (a) the finite life of the non-replaceable battery or (b) the fact that I can't carry and use spare batteries - I have to lug a backup battery pack or solar charger.

• All inReach devices have a LiIon battery which cannot be replaced by the user. Once it reaches end of useful life, Garmin will service it (most likely, swap it with a refurbished unit) for a fee. You can probably find instructions for replacing it yourself - as well as third-party compatible batteries. However, this will void your remaining warranty (if any). And you run the risk of damage to things like the water-tight seals even if you have no problems with the electronics.

If you like rechargeable batteries, you can use them in any Garmin handheld. However, they will not recharge IN the unit. You need an external charger. 

Judging from the forum traffic, most people seem to prefer the standard form factor replaceable batteries (AA or whatever) over the non-replaceable LiIon. Most of that discussion seems to center around either (a) the finite life of the non-replaceable battery or (b) the fact that I can't carry and use spare batteries - I have to lug a backup battery pack or solar charger.

Children