Announcement

Collapse

Forum Upgrade

We’re excited to announce that the Garmin Forums will soon be moving to a new platform that should greatly improve our forum experience for everyone. We will update everyone as more information becomes available.
See more
See less

This forum

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This forum

Hate to be that guy, but after some some three years of navigating on this forum, I have to say that it's one of the worse web apps I've been using. It has numerous bugs which have not been tended to, and the experience gets gradually worse.
    For a few months, I cannot log in to the forum without being constantly logged out. I cannot use the @mention feature normally. I don't know why you're using such strange piece of software when you have Discourse, which is an absolute gem in this space.
    This is a hate post. I have to vent my long frustration with this forum. Take that.

+1 to the hater!

Comment

Or NodeBB. Or, really, anything but this. Nothing sums up the Garmin forums experience than having multiple ways to post images, none of which work reliably except for the method that’s the hardest to use and the least known. Oh and that method requires the use of an external image host which of course could delete/replace your images at any time.

And I’m sure the answer to your question is that this was the best / most readily available solution available at the time, and they are now unwilling to invest the time and money to change to new software or fix the current software. It’s the answer to most “Why is X still using Y?” questions.

If you work at any company with an “old” culture, you’ll see similar issues. Real example from my work experience: imagine having to use an internal bug tracker that only works properly with Internet Explorer. Imagine that there’s awareness of the problem and how to fix it, but no will to do so, because it’s better to force employees to work around the issue. Ppl literally only use internet explorer to work with that one thing, and only because they’re forced to.

Then again, I hear a “change” is coming, so maybe Garmin will surprise us and change the forum software completely. Or shut it down and force all discussion to move to FB....

ArtaudAntonin I do think @-mentions have been fixed now. If they’re not working for you, leave them as plain text before submitting your post (don’t let them autocomplete to a link.)
      Last edited by WillNorthYork; 02-12-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Certainly does https://forums.garmin.com/forum/vbcm...ing-logged-out

Comment

First off, moderator help, from SUSSAMB in the case of the only moderator I've interacted with, has been excellently awesome.

But as far as the forum engine … (+)1 google to the OP.
          • It took me *months* to be able to register for this forum. Finally able to using a certain combination of browser and an old aol account. What in the world?
          • What is it with the infinite captchas required to do anything? Is this a branch of the NSA?
          • Copy/Paste of a message has been a nightmare (I haven't tried in months, maybe it's fixed now). There would be an error code, and then a snowballing of problems until the only thing left to do was shut down the browser and start over.
          • Enable/Disable sending a Private Message: Impossible, without some weird weird workaround: https://forums.garmin.com/forum/vbcm...48#post1348448
          • Plus others I'm too frustrated to remember now, plus the others that people have posted in this thread.
          Please fix this Garmin! I'd like to love all things Garmin, not just my watch, and to be honest as silly as it may be, how I feel about the forum affects how I feel about my watch!

Comment

The forum engine is powered by vBulletin, a slow and buggy piece of software.

For a much better experience, Garmin should move to XenForo.

Comment

See the announcement at the top of the forum.

FORUM UPGRADE

We’re excited to announce that the Garmin Forums will soon be moving to a new platform that should greatly improve our forum experience for everyone. We will update everyone as more information becomes available.
              The Connect IQ section has already been moved to the new forum software.
              My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
              Facebook - Instagram -
              Twitter

Comment

Working...
              X