No announcement yet.

Constantly getting logged out...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No idea sorry, that's way beyond my pay grade
    Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
    Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
    (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

• Originally posted by pshare View Post
      Sussamb,

I see the value of the checkmarks but are the photos really necessary?
      From a technical point of view, maybe 10 years ago a simple checkbox on a website was enough to block 99% of spambots. These days, spambots are getting more and more sophisticated, so it takes more effort to prove you're human.

As a "bonus" (for the CAPTCHA provider, not us), by clicking on the pictures, you are actually training algorithms, especially for self-driving cars (you may have noticed an inordinate number of requests to click on pictures of bicycles, cars, crosswalks, traffic lights, etc.)

This goes back to free labour, and how we're all providing it, all the time. Of course, this is part of the cost of "free" websites such as this. Of course, on this particular website, we are often providing free labour in another way (by supporting other users with issues)....

TL;DR every company's business model in 2019 is to extract as much free labour from customers as possible. See: self-checkout machines (which I use all the time).

Comment

• I get logged out, across 3 browsers I tried on my PC, cleared every single Garmin cookie, the cache, everything.
        Same deal on my Android tablet, it's almost instant.

It's taking me 3-5 "login cycles", to make a single post. If Garmin doesn't want people to use the forums, this is a great way to turn most away, IMHO...
        I'm perfectly fine with using my account as a test-bed, it logs out almost instantly, and repeatedly (as mentioned, the multiple logins required to make a SINGLE post).

Thanks.

Comment

• Yeah, WillNorthYork , we're WAY past a simple checkbox for bot-blocking, even the multi-pic stuff isn't that great, anymore, but like you say, it's "free labor", in terms of image-reco-mining.

I can't stay logged in here, no way, no how, and so far my traces (debugging the HTML) have gotten blocked by the authentication engine, or traversing the login code anyway (HTML debugging isn't my strong suit, I'm much more of a procedural/stack guy).
          Doesn't Garmin care enough about the boards to get someone with access/familiarity with their model to look into this?

Edit: It took me 6 logins, to just do this simple post, seems pretty ridiculous...

Comment

• It's in the Polling loop, where it's trying to auto-refresh the header data (loadheaderdata function), somewhere, or that's triggering the logout anyway.
            I'm pretty sure that in the process, it's checking some timestamps, and fails, thinking the stamps are "vastly mismatched".

Hmm, I think it's mis-matching DST and my timezone (PST), tracing into HTML, as a non-HTML guy is cumbersome (it' probably help if I used a "real" debugger, instead of the F12 tools ;-]).
            I'm pretty sure this is triggering the constant logouts, it's matching that against an SSO object, probably my "main" Garmin login, and it fails, almost always.

There's also a problem with the HTMLImports use, that's being deprecated in a month or so, but I don't think that's the issue at-hand, here, just another issue that's about to become "real".

Yep, about every 4-5 seconds it's polling for "header changes", and the mismatch happens, pretty much every single time (I haven't figured out yet, why I can post "at all", but it's probably due to something delaying the refresh).
            Why in the world is it polling that often, instead of using a notification or something, this is 2019, or at least not 2012 or thereabouts...
            Last edited by pgrey; 02-09-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• Duh, well it's kind of obvious now, it's getting my timestamp from an SSO login, and mismatching the timestamp in my forums account, which is causing a 3 hour delta, and triggering the logout.
              Still not sure why I can "sometimes" post, I had to create a JS of my own, just to keep trying login, so I can make *these* posts.

Fixing the constant polling would help (pretty sure anyway), but really the timestamps need to be aligned (I haven't tried to debug into the user data retrieval).
              I'm really surprised some Garmin web developer hasn't debugged/fixed this, I've done virtually no coding of this type, and it's pretty easy to see the trace, if you ask me.

Comment

• philipshambrook
                philipshambrook commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice work. Hopefully there'll be a fix coming soon, but I'm not holding my breath. However, a little birdie told me there might be a change for the better in the next few weeks that does not involve a fix, more a change.

• Yup and I also get a message "You are not authorized to create this post" or "Image verification unsuccessful due to incorrect reCAPTCHAâ„¢ parameters. Contact the admin.when trying to post a replay or new message.." when trying to post a replay or new message.

Comment

• any solution to this???
                I must have typed 20 times my password today...

Comment

• I have the same issue since a few days. It is a real pain in the backside...

Comment

Working...
                  X