Collapse
No announcement yet.

Constantly getting logged out...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can still count me in as having issues philipshambrook , I don't hold much faith that anything will be done with Garmin-Heath going quiet and SUSSAMB burying his head in the sand and trying to pretend the problem doesn't exist because it isn't happening to him.

If this doesn't turn out to a be a server side capacity issue then I will be VERY surprised.
    All file repairs are done using the Fit File Repair Tool.

I am not a Garmin employee and I am not affiliated with them in any manner - other than I own three of their products.
    For all intents and purposes this is a peer-to-peer forum and any assistance provided is voluntary and on an 'as time allows' basis.
    Garmin Support from Garmin employees can be found here. Suggestions to Garmin or rants can be made here.

Comment

Not a question of burying my head but the fact is many remain logged in for a reasonable period of time, but eventually get logged out, presumably as a security measure just like on numerous sites. I accept some are logged out after a very short time of logging in, and it's that that needs to be resolved. Tracking down the reason why it's happening to those it affects though isn't really possible here, it's an issue somewhere within some systems starting from the user through their network and into Garmin servers so the best way forward is for those affected to contact Garmin Product Support for detailed help, but it's possible even they won't be able to identify where the issue is. I feel for those it's happening to but unless someone here comes up with a lightbulb moment I can't see it being resolved.

Edit: just to add I logged in on my tablet about 0800 this morning UK time and have checked back at odd intervals since but at nearly 4 and a half hours later I'm still logged in.
      Last edited by SUSSAMB; 01-24-2019, 07:19 AM.
      Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
      Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
      (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Using Chrome and the Staying Alive browser extension I've not had to log in even once for more than a week.

Comment

Originally posted by SUSSAMB View Post
          Not a question of burying my head but the fact is many remain logged in for a reasonable period of time, but eventually get logged out, presumably as a security measure just like on numerous sites..
          You are burying your head in the sand. This very topic is covered in the sticky at the top of this sub-forum. In fact, this sub-forum was created because of issues like this. It never worked properly and doesn't do so now. 'Remember me' should mean just that.

My Connect IQ Apps: Foot Pod Pace, Battery Up Down and a few more

Comment

No one is suggesting that works, it doesn't for anyone. It's the logging out issue after a short period of time that affects a small number of users that is being discussed in this thread.
            Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
            Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
            (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by kiwimtnbkr View Post
              Any one else being constantly logged out...as in log in, scroll to the bottom of a page only to find you have been logged out?
              It's the logging out issue after a short period of time that affects a small number of users that is being discussed in this thread.
              Add one more to the "small number of users."
              Vivoactive HR, Fenix 3 (drowned), Forerunner 645, HRM-Run

Comment

Tracking down the reason why it's happening to those it affects though isn't really possible here, it's an issue somewhere within some systems starting from the user through their network and into Garmin servers so the best way forward is for those affected to contact Garmin Product Support for detailed help, but it's possible even they won't be able to identify where the issue is. I feel for those it's happening to but unless someone here comes up with a lightbulb moment I can't see it being resolved.
                Wow what an incredible response and, sorry to say, pretty representative of Garmin’s approach to certain issues, as well as that of certain members of the community. I know you don’t work for Garmin, but it’s eerie.

The forum has an incredible number of issues, not just limited to this one, but also:
                - inability to edit certain posts
                - edits to certain posts not showing up for users who are either logged in or logged out
                - issues with posting images / attachments
                - issues posting code (still!)

Sure some issues have been fixed. Others have been known for years, with no end in sight.

And the response is basically (in no particular order)
                - You’re doing it wrong
                - it works for me
                - It probably can’t be fixed anyway
                - Maybe someone here can help, because our time is worth lots of money and yours is free

This isn’t an isolated attitude because I see the exact same kind of response when there are device firmware issues and CIQ issues (many of which will also never be fixed.)

I’ll just say the same thing I’ve said in the past: these forums are a place where users basically support each other for free, at little or no cost to Garmin. At the very least it’s Garmin’s customers donating their valuable time. And to deal with forum issues we are expected to donate even more time. Then we are further asked to help solve these problems, which is, yeah you guessed it, even more free labour.

No different than when a device like 935 is released with numerous bugs and end users need to do the work of filing detailed bug reports with precise re-creation details so they can get the device they paid for. Then you have forum regulars still claiming today there was never anything wrong with 935, “you were just doing it wrong.”

No different than various issues in the CIQ ecosystem, yet another place where the majority of ppl are providing free labour. Another place where the gut reaction is “you’re doing it wrong”, until someone finally admits there’s an issue.

I’d prefer to hear an honest “we don’t care about your problems, deal with it. Oh and thanks for the free labour, suckers. We saved $X on Product Support thanks to you”

I get it. It’s all about limited resources. Good thing our time and patience is unlimited. So long as we keep buying Garmin products, it’s all good, amirite.
                Last edited by WillNorthYork; 01-25-2019, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pshare View Post
                  Using Chrome and the Staying Alive browser extension I've not had to log in even once for more than a week.
                  How have you configured Staying Alive to accomplish this?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaffi View Post
                    I think this might be tied to IPv6.
                    Using the following clients: Windows XP (yep, I know) with IE8,9,10,11, Chrome 31; Windows 7,8,8.1,10 with IE11, Edge (on 10), Chrome 66,67,68,69,70,71,72; Android 4.4,5,6,8,9 all with the same results on various networks - and this remains the only site with issues. No issues with connect.garmin.com which appears to use the sso.garmin.com infrastructure...

I doubt it - I spend some time on an IPv6-only network, it logs me out sometimes between pressing enter to login and the page refreshing (so my username appears in the top bar of the page).

I spend some time on an IPv4/v6 mixed network again, it logs me out sometimes between pressing enter to login and the page refreshing (so my username appears in the top bar of the page).

I spend some time on an IPv4-only network - guess what? Yep, it logs me out sometimes between pressing enter to login and the page refreshing (so my username appears in the top bar of the page).

IPv6 as a protocol is almost a quarter of a century old - it really isn't rocket science.

Of as much concern is the fact that the board is still running vBulletin 5.3.0. Since then the following have been released: 5.3.1, 5.3.2, 5.3.3, 5.3.4, 5.4.0, 5.4.1, 5.4.2, 5.4.4, 5.4.5, 5.5.0. vBulletin only support the current release and one older. This place is apparently now 10 releases behind current and many of the releases (including 5.3.0) have security flaws patched subsequently.

Originally posted by philipshambrook View Post
                    CloggyAbroad Must only be you and me with problems :-)
                    Very much not.

No one is suggesting that works, it doesn't for anyone. It's the logging out issue after a short period of time that affects a small number of users that is being discussed in this thread.
                    And that short period of time can be shorter than the page load time between logging in and the page displaying that I'm (once again not) logged in...

Comment

Originally posted by Roedema View Post

How have you configured Staying Alive to accomplish this?
                      I just entered the forum URL https://forums.garmin.com/forum or https://forums.garmin.com with a 5 minute delay. I uncheck the "End Loop when browser tab is closed".

That's about it.

After a few weeks, it stops working for some reason so I just recreate it and I'm good for another few weeks.

Comment

I've been using Staying Alive for some time now, and I have it set for 10min on 2 computers. Sometime I have to re-login, and it seem to be things if the forum is off line for a bit or I reboot one of the computers, but I can stay logged in for days at a time if the tab forum is there. (win 10, latest chrome)
                        My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
                        Facebook - Instagram -
                        Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by pshare View Post
                          I just entered the forum URL https://forums.garmin.com/forum or https://forums.garmin.com with a 5 minute delay.
                          Originally posted by jim_m_58 View Post
                          I've been using Staying Alive for some time now, and I have it set for 10min on 2 computers.
                          Thank you both. I've installed the extension and have configured it for the minimum 1 minute. Unfortunately, I seem to sometimes be logged out within milliseconds.

UPDATE: Staying Alive has not helped at all. It may be a solution for "Remember me" not working, but not for the issue described by the OP and others.
                          Last edited by Roedema; 01-26-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

well.. I still have trouble posting.. I manage it usually after 3-4 tries .
                            Forerunner 630
                            fenix 3
                            Forerunner 935

Comment

I think you guys have a different problem that can't be solved by Staying Alive. Roedema is right. Staying Alive compensates for "Remember me" not working.

Comment

I think you guys have a different problem that can't be solved by Staying Alive
                                Yep! We sure do. Getting logged out simply when changing between pages is indeed very different to. the forum not 'honouring' the check in the box to stay logged in.

So, head out of the sand people and read what we have been saying. And BTW, as kiwimtnbkr notes, Garmin-Heath has indeed gone very quiet - no response to a PM last week. Note also, as I've said earlier, even the engineers in the development teams recognise the difficulty we have posting "send an email if the forums are playing up".

What hope is there for us mere mortals if Garmin's own engineers recognise the presence of a problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X