No announcement yet.

Editing a post doesn't submit form data

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing a post doesn't submit form data

If I try to edit my post, once I click Post, I see a "working" message on a yellow background top centre of the screen, and that simply stays like that and never goes away. If I navigate to the main list of posts, and select the post, I can see that my edit has not been successful.

you can check your post with the preview button
    sometimes removing smileys or linked usernames can help

Comment

Originally posted by alienspaces View Post
      If I try to edit my post, once I click Post, I see a "working" message on a yellow background top centre of the screen, and that simply stays like that and never goes away.
      That only happens if you edited the content of your post to something that would have produced an error message (for whatever random and/or obscure reason in Garmin Forums' current messed-up implementation of vBulletin) if you had submitted the same content as a new post.

Comment

Originally posted by ASmugDill View Post

That only happens if you edited the content of your post to something that would have produced an error message (for whatever random and/or obscure reason in Garmin Forums' current messed-up implementation of vBulletin) if you had submitted the same content as a new post.
        There's at least one exception to that. There are some things that the forum will automatically change for you after you submit your original post, which would cause the edited post to become unsubmitable (without making ANY manual changes).

As OnlyTwo mentioned, if there is a "linked username" (@-mention) in your post, such as WillNorthYork, then you have to remove the link before submitting any edits. The forum software will automatically convert @-mentions to links after you submit your post.

Example:
        1) Create new post
        2) Add @-mention for an existing user (in text format; do not select a matching name from the dropdown that appears, otherwise a link will be created and the post won't submit)
        3) Submit post. You will see that the text @-mention in your post was converted to a link.
        4) Edit post. You will now find that you cannot submit the edited post, even if you made no changes. The fix (in this one case) is to delete the link that was created.
        Last edited by WillNorthYork; 03-11-2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

WillNorthYork OK, let's test this out.

Using Safari browser on my MacBook Pro (running OS X 10.11)
          Last edited by ASmugDill; 03-13-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

ASmugDill try it without the trailing colon. Or try @-mentions in the middle of your post. I noticed that trailing characters such as colon or comma sometimes prevent @-mentions from being converted. In this case, a trailing colon after an @-mention at the beginning of post, with other text after it, seems to suppress the @-mention conversion. It's as seemingly random as to why certain text with brackets or keywords like "alert" still prevent posts from being submitted.

I guarantee if you edit your post to remove the colon, the @-mention will be converted.

(You can test this on the fly using the preview function.)

Comment

Originally posted by WillNorthYork View Post
              As OnlyTwo mentioned, if there is a "linked username" (@-mention) in your post, such as WillNorthYork, then you have to remove the link before submitting any edits. The forum software will automatically convert @-mentions to links after you submit your post.
              Then as far as I'm concerned you're talking generally about rendered formatting or insertions. On numerous occasions, images I attached inline using [IMG][/IMG] tags were changed to being marked up using some fancy tags upon the post being reloaded into the WYSIWYG editor for editing, and they caused the content submission to be blocked. I've also seen it happen in highly marked up blocks of text with lots of indentation, changes in colour and font size, superscripting and subscripting all at the same time.

Undoing all the rendering in the WYSIWYG editor and applying markup tags anew usually works.

By the way, the @-mentions are the result of using [USER ][/USER ] tags. I can insert one that links to you (with any text label). The problem with either selecting a user from the auto-complete dropdown that appears when you start typing a ‘word’ beginning with @, or accepting the changes the Garmin Forums platform has made for you, while in the WYSIWYG editor is that the @-mention is submitted in rendered form.

Comment

"The problem with either selecting a user from the auto-complete dropdown that appears when you start typing a ‘word’ beginning with @, or accepting the changes the Garmin Forums platform has made for you, while in the WYSIWYG editor is that the @-mention is submitted in rendered form."

Uh yeah, I understood that from the start.

None of that invalidates my point that it's an exception to what you wrote:
                "That only happens if you edited the content of your post to something that would have produced an error message (for whatever random and/or obscure reason in Garmin Forums' current messed-up implementation of vBulletin) if you had submitted the same content as a new post."

ASmugDill will be converted to a link upon submission (whether you want to say it's immediately before or immediately after), whether or not you use the WYSIWYG editor. For that reason, I don't really care what the markup looks like. (I posted this in "source" mode, so no markup is being added on the fly, and I've added zero markup on my own.)

All those examples you gave of rendered formatting only further prove my point, assuming that the original post is accepted with no problems and subsequent editing fails (with no other changes).

It's pretty simple:
                1a) User enters content in form. (Who cares if it's WYSIWYG, markup or plain text?)
                1b) User presses Submit and system says "Ok! Content accepted". Content is now displayed in system. (Who cares what changes the forum software is making? A reasonable assumption would be that the forum software is able to handle any changes that the forum software ITSELF has made.)
                2a) User presses Edit and makes NO changes
                2b) User presses Submit and system says "I don't like that content!!! Submission failed"

Saying "accepting the changes the Garmin Forums platform has made" is a bit disingenuous when:
                - You previously implied it was only changes made by the USER that would cause the problem described in the OP
                - In this case the user has not made any conscious decision to accept changes, nor are they necessarily aware that a change has been made.
                - The user can't prevent the Garmin Forums platform from converting @-mentions to links, unless you trigger a bug like the one you triggered in your post above. The only solution is to avoid using @-mentions at all, or to know that you have to delete the @-mention links and recreate the @-mentions manually if you want to edit a post containing @-mentions.

To me it seems like a lot of work just to post on these forums, especially seeing how Garmin benefits from users helping one another. It's funny, because I know a few people who think that all forums are obsolete (maybe except for reddit and stackoverflow). It would be funny if people just stopped posting here, and Garmin had to pick up the slack on user support. I mean, there are many examples of modern forums, but this one sure isn't one of them....
                Last edited by WillNorthYork; 03-13-2018, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WillNorthYork View Post
                  "Saying "accepting the changes the Garmin Forums platform has made" is a bit disingenuous when:
                  - You previously implied it was only changes made by the USER that would cause the problem described in the OP
                  - In this case the user has not made any conscious decision to accept changes, nor are they necessarily aware that a change has been made.
                  Nothing disingenuous about it. As far as I'm concerned, from a database operations perspective, if a user submits a piece of data (however it is generated) to overwrite some or all of the contents of an existing record, that's an update. In the context of a discussion forum platform, the record is the post, and the update is an edit. It's that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by ASmugDill View Post

Nothing disingenuous about it. As far as I'm concerned, from a database operations perspective, if a user submits a piece of data (however it is generated) to overwrite some or all of the contents of an existing record, that's an update. In the context of a discussion forum platform, the record is the post, and the update is an edit. It's that simple.
                    Except that's not the same as what you originally said, and none of this has anything to do with databases, or creating/updating records, especially from the user's perspective. It's about what kinds of content will cause the forum to fail (there's so many) and how that content gets in your post in the first place. If you want to get technical, I'm almost certain that it's not the database backend that's failing when text such as "alert" is added to posts in certain circumstances, for example

Clearly in this context when you say "you edited the content...to something that would have produced an error message", you are not referring to an abstract database operation. You are talking about making changes to the content in the editor. The word "you" here obviously refers to the user, and not the forum software. The implication here is that the user is the one who originally introduced the invalid content into the post, not the forum. Which, as I pointed out, is not always the case.
                    1) Make post with plain-text @-mention. System accepts post and converts @-mention to link.
                    2) Edit post. Make no changes. System rejects post. "What did I do wrong???"

I don't see where the user introduced invalid content in that scenario. In fact the user can add all the valid content they want in step 2), it'll still be rejected unless they know to delete the link.

Seems to me you moved the goalposts a bit, but whatever. First you made a statement about the only way (according to you) posts can break that is inaccurate (especially in spirit), then you want to reinterpret the original meaning of the statement rather than just admit you were wrong in the first place. I mean, your original statement basically boils down to "OP, you're doing it wrong", which is unhelpful IMO, especially when it might not even be true.

If you had originally said "that only happens if the content of the edited post is invalid, which can happen if you enter invalid content OR if the forum converted some of the text in your original post to something it doesn't like, such as links", then I would've agreed with you. But hey, clearly you're not capable of making mistakes, misstating facts or holding incorrect assumptions. Case in point: you seemed pretty sure that plain-text @-mentions would not automatically be converted to links, and made a post to the effect. When you were called out on that mistake, the post was neatly updated to remove the "evidence" that you were -- gasp -- incorrect about something.

Anyway it doesn't really matter or help anyone with the problems that have plagued this forum for quite some time. Maybe these problems will be fixed in 2020.
                    Last edited by WillNorthYork; 03-15-2018, 04:12 PM.

Comment

@WillNorthYork: Fine. Let me revise it to, "the only way it happens is if you submit, as the content of your edited post – by clicking the Save button in the Edit process – in the WYSIWYG editor that would not have been accepted if it was a new post and you'd clicked the Post Reply button.” Ultimately it's the person who requested the ‘edit’ and then submits content using that process that has to be responsible for what is submitted, regardless of which party made the changes that made it into the content. The whole intent of my original post is so that people will look at what changed from what they submitted before. If they submitted something marked up with tags (as I usually do) to avoid issues with rendered content in the first place as a new post, and now in the edit they're ‘accepting’/overlooking rendered content and submitting that as edited content, then that's where they should look and fix in order to achieve their desired functional outcome, instead of futilely wait for Garmin to tell them (or fix) what's wrong.

Comment

Okay fine, fair enough. I still think that’s expecting too much of forum users. I just had a case where I quoted an emoji and my post submitted fine. Then when I made an edit, it wouldn’t submit until I removed the quoted emoji. In this case it wasn’t even technical “my” content that caused the problem. I just think that all of these issues are not helping Garmin’s cause. Nobody has to post here and maybe these problems will discourage a few from even bothering.
                        Last edited by WillNorthYork; 03-16-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X