New Watch Backlight Query

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Watch Backlight Query

Hi All,

Just got my Instinct, it really is a great watch.

One question regarding the backlight, it appears it’s side lit from 3 of the 4 sides, the right side doesn’t appear to have a light from it, the light is pretty even though.

You can see the light if you tilt it on the 3 sides coming under the screen if that makes sense?
    Just wanted to confirm this is normal like others?

Thanks all.

Originally posted by TaffSpur View Post
    Hi All,

Just got my Instinct, it really is a great watch.

One question regarding the backlight, it appears it’s side lit from 3 of the 4 sides, the right side doesn’t appear to have a light from it, the light is pretty even though.

You can see the light if you tilt it on the 3 sides coming under the screen if that makes sense?
    Just wanted to confirm this is normal like others?

Thanks all.
    I normally set the backlight to 20% and observe an evenly lit display.

If I turn the backlight up to 100% and carefully examine the edges in a dark environment, I observe a single light source on the left edge of the display - the display is still evenly lit.

Your display sounds perfectly normal to me. Remember, the transflective display on the Instinct is illuminated differently than the usual LCD display found in watches. Rather than using an electroluminescent panel under the LCD, or LED's above the LCD as in a usual digital watch, the Instinct has a reflective panel below a space under the LCD - illumination is provbided by an LED on the edge of the space above the reflective panel and below the LCD.

It looks something like this:

Just substitute "LCD Panel" for "Top Diffuser/Prism Lens/Bottom Diffuser" and it's pretty close.

The reflective panel provides excellent visibility in daylight, and even distribution of illumination in the dark.

HTH

Comment

Let's try that image again:

Finger crossed.

Comment

Many thanks for the reply, that makes sense with the left edge having the reflector so the light appears to come from there, I figured it was normal due to the lighting method but wanted to check.

I really am impressed with it and the visibility and clarity in daylight is amazing.

Just trying to work out all the functions now

Comment

One other thing I’ve noticed is that using the screen with big digital numbers and 24 hr setting the left side is almost off the screen, not sure if it’s a bug, screen is not misaligned as all other screens line up perfectly.

In most lights it looks off the screen and also depending on angle. Other times like 17:00 etc are fine as digits are not so wide I guess.

Anyone else’s like this? Can you guys check for me?

Many thanks.

I’ve attached a pic.
          Last edited by TaffSpur; 11-11-2018, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TaffSpur View Post
            One other thing I’ve noticed is that using the screen with big digital numbers and 24 hr setting the left side is almost off the screen, not sure if it’s a bug, screen is not misaligned as all other screens line up perfectly.

In most lights it looks off the screen and also depending on angle. Other times like 17:00 etc are fine as digits are not so wide I guess.

Anyone else’s like this? Can you guys check for me?

Many thanks.

I’ve attached a pic.
            Perfectly normal. If you want 24-hour time with more space on the left side, try using Military style time: MENU>Settings>System>Time>Time Format>Military

HTH

Comment

Many thanks once again for your reply.

Good to know they are all like it. Set to Military time now.

Something they can maybe fix in an update as it’s so near the edge that in most light it looks off the screen and the 2 appears cut off.

The font slightly smaller would fix that when in 24hr mode.

Comment

Working...
              X