No announcement yet.

Fenix 2.90 Software

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenix 2.90 Software

Fenix software 2.90 is now available via WebUpdater. Let us know if you have any issues with this new software. We hope everyone will enjoy indoor training support just in time for winter!

Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:

Added indoor training support http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupda...ith-fenix.html
    Added Foot Pod support
    Added FIT History to main menu ( moved from Tracks )
    Added additional details in FIT History
    Added Save as Track option to FIT History
    Added Delete option to FIT History
    Added ability to Pan the map when reviewing Tracks, Routes and Waypoints
    Added precision to heart rate zone data field
    Added feet/hr vertical speed units
    Improved vertical speed
    Improved ANT sensor connection reliability
    Improved calorie calculation
    Improved performance of elevation data in fixed altimeter mode when GPS is not running
    Improved performance of elevation data in sensors always on and sensors on demand modes
    Improved waypoint list length
    Fixed potential issue with alternate time zone DST calculations
    Fixed potential issue with the active track showing incorrectly on the map
    Fixed potential issue with Auto Light
    Fixed potential issue with spell search for waypoints
    Fixed potential issue with missing data when saving large FIT activities
    Fixed issues with entering negative elevation values
    Adam Cloud

Excited to test this new firmware out tomorrow on a run. See if it fixes my HR monitor issues.

When doing the webupdater I get an option for additional updates and besides the usual language options, there was one that said "GPS Chipset Type M4." What is that exactly?

Comment

Thank you.
      It will be great if the elevation problem is fixed.

Comment

Wow, very cool!
        The watch is really getting very good!

The indoor training support is a very welcome feature.
        Also the save as track feature is very good!

I had two scenarios where the watch crashed at the end of following a track. The GPX was ok afterwards, the Fit file was corrupt. So i think for now it is better to save a track as GPX and FIT. When there is no more crash than the save as track from a FIT file is really helpful!

A bug what is still there is this:
        When a track is displayed on the map (Menu/Tracks/Display/Show), you have to delete the track so the track will disappear after restart the watch... The menu point "Hide" doesn't work....

But it's a really cool update, thx very much!

Comment

GARMIN, thanks for these great new features. Keep up the good work.

This morning I tried the new indoor feature with my fitness session but the calories calculation seems way too inaccurate.

- Technogym Crosstrainer reports 680 calories in 60minutes
          - Adidas miCoach via iPhone reports 800 calories in the same period (which I think represents the most accurate calories)
          - Garmin Fenix reports 1800 calories in the same period (!)

Heart rate between technogym, miCoach and Garmin are comparable (within 1-2 hartbeats difference)

I have set my fitness/user.

What is going on here?

Comment

Originally posted by APCLOUD View Post
            Heart Rate is missing.... would also be nice!

Comment

And a small feature request for FW 2.10 :-)

Turn on and off the map (gmapsupp.img) would be a very handy feature.

Comment

Fw 2.9 bug

The auto calibration for altimeter doesn't work anymore since FW 2.9.
                I have Setup > Sensors > Altimeter > Auto Cal. > ON set, but the barometric altimeter value doesn't change to gps elev. anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by APCLOUD View Post
                  Fenix software 2.90 is now available via WebUpdater. Let us know if you have any issues with this new software. We hope everyone will enjoy indoor training support just in time for winter!

Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:

Added indoor training support http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupda...ith-fenix.html
                  Added Foot Pod support
                  Added FIT History to main menu ( moved from Tracks )
                  Added Save as Track option to FIT History
                  Added Delete option to FIT History
                  Added ability to Pan the map when reviewing Tracks, Routes and Waypoints
                  Added precision to heart rate zone data field
                  Added feet/hr vertical speed units
                  Improved vertical speed
                  Improved ANT sensor connection reliability
                  Improved calorie calculation
                  Improved performance of elevation data in fixed altimeter mode when GPS is not running
                  Improved performance of elevation data in sensors always on and sensors on demand modes
                  Improved waypoint list length
                  Fixed potential issue with alternate time zone DST calculations
                  Fixed potential issue with the active track showing incorrectly on the map
                  Fixed potential issue with Auto Light
                  Fixed potential issue with spell search for waypoints
                  Fixed potential issue with missing data when saving large FIT activities
                  Fixed issues with entering negative elevation values
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Dear Adam Cloud,

Very, very good job for this update again!! Keep going!!

Could you consider these features below for a next update :

1. the logbook (FIT History) is ok but the laps only show lap distance and lap time : it lacks lap speed, lap HR, lap ascent, lap descent and ability to rename and delete activities : ok point 1., but misses lap HR, lap ascent, lap descent and ability to rename activities

2. look at the FORETREX 401 main menu : when you list saved tracks (main menu>tracks), there is the ability to see the selected track elevation profile option (graph elevation/dist, min-max elevation, track distance information).
                  On FENIX : misses ability to view elevation profile when reviewing Tracks, Routes and activities in FIT History.

3. another request, concerning timer options : it would be great to have the options described on page 20 of FORETREX 401 owner's manual (especially "when expired" option).

4. I've noticed that when you use FENIX stopwatch (orange key>clock>stopwatch), there are only start, lap, stop and reset options : after stop action (laps done), you can't see laps; it would be great to save and see laps in an history file on FENIX.

5. is it possible to add the automatic switching of light when an alarm clock , an alert.. are activated (like FORERUNNER 610, 910..)? and a notification (tone, vibration) when satellites are located? : ok point 5., still notification (tone, vibration) when satellites are located

6. we can't use (see and save) all altimeter data without activating gps (for example, when you practice stairclimbing, you need altimeter data (ascent, lap ascent, vertical speed) and time data (time, lap time)). : ok point 6. (indoor mode)

7. when you add altimeter page in orange key>setup>data pages>tracking, navigating, indoor, there is no "zoom" function (select to change the elevation scale) and "view points" function (view the elev/time or elev/dist data points); there's just min-max elevation data.

8. there is no "measure distance" function : measure distance and time needed between two waypoints by entering estimated speed.

Thank you,

Comment

I second the above changes but would add use of the timer without GPS. I guess that would fall under "Indoor Mode"
                    Last edited by Acesymmetric_; 11-02-2012, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks Adam Cloud and fenix team for the recent update. As a trail/ultra runner, the v2.90 update alone has won me over and completely turned me away from any longer considering the Suunto Ambit. The fact that in addition to foot pod support, the fenix now also supports indoor training, speaks volumes that Garmin IS listening to its core customer base.

I had become a bit concerned that the Garmin brand was becoming mediocre as it seemed to no longer be customer focused, but rather shareholder focused (i.e., purposefully eliminating quality components like SiRFstar gps chips to hit the bottom line; not officially supporting industry based standards (ISO 2281) to cut liability issues & overall cost cutting resulting in both lower quality and lower accuracy to barely satisfy the mass market, etc.). This function-adding update suggests that Garmin is listening and still trying to remain customer focused.

Realizing that there are clearly major bugs that still need to be fixed, altimeter, et. al. The v2.90 update makes me feel much more confident that Garmin is really focused on making the fenix a truly outstanding watch for outdoor enthusiasts (hikers, trail runners, etc) and will eventually fix the remaining bugs.

I read from DC Rainmaker's blog that whilst outdoors, the fenix "won’t automatically switch from GPS to footpod if you enter a tunnel like the other Garmin units"; this "auto switching" functionality is critical for hikers/trail runners and significantly improves outdoor accuracy under heavy tree coverage, steep mountains, canyons, short cave-type tunnels, etc. I look forward to seeing the fenix becoming more and more accurate and reliable for its key outdoor functions.

Garmin fenix team, keep up the great work!!!
                      Last edited by LHRORD; 11-02-2012, 03:11 PM. Reason: replace word purposely with "purposefully"

Comment

Originally posted by LHRORD View Post
                        (i.e., purposely eliminating quality components like SiRFstar gps chips to hit the bottom line
                        Got any evidence to back up that claim?

Comment

Originally posted by SATHOMASGA View Post
                          Got any evidence to back up that claim?
                          Thanks for catching that, it was pure conjecture on my part. I meant to use the word "purposefully" meaning with the specific objective of reducing costs.

Comment

Originally posted by LHRORD View Post
                            Thanks for catching that, it was pure conjecture on my part. I meant to use the word "purposefully" meaning with the specific objective of reducing costs.
                            Yep, I'm not sure we know what GPS chipset is in the Fenix. As best as I can tell Garmin has not made public which chipset is in their forerunners since the 305. Although if you check the Setup->System->About on some (e.g. 610) there's an acknowledgement of SiRF. Nothing like that on the Fenix. Could be a different chipset; could be that Garmin decided they didn't like advertising for CSR. (Kind of like Apple has never put the crappy "Intel Inside" stickers on their notebooks.)

My turn for pure speculation, but it could also be functionality. Texas Instruments, for example, makes a GPS chipset that includes ANT+ and Bluetooth support. As far as I can determine, there isn't anything equivalent using SiRF. Perhaps Garmin went with TI. Sticking with SiRF might have required another chip for the other wireless radios, which means either (a) bigger watch (it's already fairly large) or (b) less battery (which sucks for the ultra runners who are a definite target market for the Fenix).

It's also not clear to me that SiRF is necessarily any better than the alternatives. They've certainly established a brand, but Nike, for example, is probably the best established brand for running, yet I don't know many serious runners that pay for their own shoes and run in Nikes.

And heck, even if its true that SiRF is better but Garmin went with another supplier because of cost, that probably just means the watch costs less. It's not exactly cheap, so I, for one, appreciate any possible savings.

In my own experience with the GPS in the Fenix, I'm mostly impressed. Sometimes it does take 30s or so to acquire satellites, but most of the time the acquisition is instantaneous. Literally, I select Start GPS and Bam!, it's got it. Accuracy has been much much better than 610 or 910XT. My benchmark here is a trail I run regularly that's a short (2.5 mile) loop. The trail is heavily wooded and quite hilly. Because of the distance, I often run 2 or 3 loops. When I look at the tracks on Garmin Connect, they often diverge quite a bit between the different loops. Elevation also varies considerably (even with the 910XT, which has a barometric altimeter). Running the trail with the fenix, however, the loops have been dead on top of each other, and the elevation looks like an exact match as well.

I think there are still a few things missing from the fenix (Tanita support is high on my list), and parts of the menu system are a bit convoluted, but overall I'm pretty happy with the watch. Certainly can't complain about the pace of updates.

Stephen

Comment

Calorie Count Issue

I also see the same thing using the Indoor mode; the calorie count is 3 - 4 times higher than it should be during a workout. I also tried just sitting on the sofa, and the fenix showed 300 calories/hour with an average heart rate of 68.

Howard

Originally posted by RICHARDSCHMIDT@FASTMAIL.FM View Post
                              GARMIN, thanks for these great new features. Keep up the good work.

This morning I tried the new indoor feature with my fitness session but the calories calculation seems way too inaccurate.

- Technogym Crosstrainer reports 680 calories in 60minutes
                              - Adidas miCoach via iPhone reports 800 calories in the same period (which I think represents the most accurate calories)
                              - Garmin Fenix reports 1800 calories in the same period (!)

Heart rate between technogym, miCoach and Garmin are comparable (within 1-2 hartbeats difference)

I have set my fitness/user.

What is going on here?

Comment

Working...
                              X