The changed charger

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The changed charger

Hi all!

Does anyone know why Garmin has changed from the "perfect" wearable charger in Fenix 3 to the new "old style" one in Fenix 5?

Best regards,
    Fenix 5X running the latest beta.
    Oregon 650t.

Fenix 3 sold.
    GPSMAP 64s sold.

It's meant to now be the standard for everything new from what I understand, so they did something that could be used for any watch, any shape, etc.
    My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
    Facebook - Instagram -
    Twitter

Comment

I preferred the old cradle charger and used it on longer ultras BUT it did require keeping the watch and cradle pins clean

Time will tell if the new connection is better and if someone will market a right angle solution
      Magellan Pioneer, Garmin 72H ,Lowrance 3500C, Standard Horizon HX851,Polar RCX5, Fenix 3 ,Returned Ambit 3 peak , Returned 920XT

Comment

This is an 11 year-old photo, but I think you could rig something like this with the Fenix 5X while charging.

Phil M.
        myConnect | StravaHeatmap | Instagram
        F201 F205 F305 FR50 310XT 920XT
        nüvi 67LMT

Comment

In use: fenix 5x, epix, oregon 550t

Comment

Plaisance Mexico

Hahahahahaha I just spat coffee over my desk
            Last edited by SEILOGRAMP; 03-27-2017, 06:04 AM.

Comment

NOOO WAY!

That just looks ridiculous!

Can't do that with a f5s...band is sadly too short (post)
              My Connect IQ apps
              I only run so I can wear a Garmin!

Comment

I'm just hoping that either garmin or a 3rd part comes out with a cable with a 90 degree bend on the end so you can plug it in, and the cable comes out under the side of the watch.
                My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
                Facebook - Instagram -
                Twitter

Comment

It probably costs less to make, and it is less complicated. It's far superior in my opinion, for general charging. It's easier to fit in a bag and it's slightly lighter weight. I think they should come out with an additional wearable charger for those that need to wear and charge a watch at the same time. I'd be highly surprised if they're not working on one already.

Comment

Either Garmin or someone else needs to make a "clip-style"; done right that also resolves the "QR/bike mount" issue (there isn't one at present.)

Comment

Of course I would like to have the possibility to load the watch while using it during an activity on the wrist, but to be honest, I think only a few people will use the watch for hikes etc. that takes longer as 12/14 hrs (and there is also the ultra track mode). No problem to charge the watch during a break (25/30 min. to load 20/25%) and on the bike, you can load it using the garmin bike mount (place the watch to the left on the mount).

And I think, a third party company will bring a angled charging cable on the market soon...A lot of people would by it (even if they don´t need it/ never will use it (except for testing)).
                      In use: fenix 5x, epix, oregon 550t

Comment

Originally posted by Volker_I. View Post
                        Of course I would like to have the possibility to load the watch while using it during an activity on the wrist, but to be honest, I think only a few people will use the watch for hikes etc. that takes longer as 12/14 hrs (and there is also the ultra track mode). No problem to charge the watch during a break (25/30 min. to load 20/25%) and on the bike, you can load it using the garmin bike mount (place the watch to the left on the mount).

And I think, a third party company will bring a angled charging cable on the market soon...A lot of people would by it (even if they don´t need it/ never will use it (except for testing)).
                        You'd be surprised at the size of the ultra community who run long and slow who charge on the fly

Comment

I'm running a timed 24hr race on the 8th with my fenix 5X. Doesn't matter how slow I run it'll still take 24hrs. If the fenix 5X charges as fast as my fenix 3 and Epix did it shouldn't be too much bother to just hold it in my hand while it charges. Of course, it'd be more convenient to be able to wear it. I'm halfway tempted to design and 3D print my own fenix 3-style charging cradle and hack a Garmin charging cable up to work through it.

Comment

Originally posted by brucebb_ View Post
                            You'd be surprised at the size of the ultra community who run long and slow who charge on the fly
                            +1 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jburchm1 View Post
                              I'm running a timed 24hr race on the 8th with my fenix 5X. Doesn't matter how slow I run it'll still take 24hrs. If the fenix 5X charges as fast as my fenix 3 and Epix did it shouldn't be too much bother to just hold it in my hand while it charges. Of course, it'd be more convenient to be able to wear it. I'm halfway tempted to design and 3D print my own fenix 3-style charging cradle and hack a Garmin charging cable up to work through it.
                              Can you have it ready for Endure 24 in June?

Comment

Working...
                              X