No announcement yet.

Fenix 5x and Tempe Sensor with delay in connecting

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenix 5x and Tempe Sensor with delay in connecting

I bought a few days ago the Tempe sensor to have a more accurate temperature reading. But when I go to the native widget of the Fenix 5x it always says "Not Connected" and takes a while to pick up the reading.

Is anybody having the same problem?

Thanks!

This is normal. It can take 1-2 minutes to connect. The tempe transmits 24/7 and some of the "slowness" is to preserve the battery. It only send a new temperature once a minute, for example.
    My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
    Facebook - Instagram -
    Twitter

Comment

Thanks for your answer Jim, I was a little bit worried.
      Regards!!

Comment

Actually, sensor seems to send a signal as I can receive it with my mobile phone while F5 says Not Connected. Watch seems to listen to it in a specific period. It was same in Fenix 3 too.
        Not bad actually, as you already should wait for some GPS data gathering.

Comment

It actually has to do with "how" it listens. For a dedicated app, it can listen just for the tempe, while on the watch, it's listening for a number of things (hr sensor, etc), so it can't dedicate listening to just one device. (there's more to it than that, but that's the 1000' foot view...)
          Facebook - Instagram -
          Twitter

Comment

I think the problem here is that as soon as a Tempe has been added under Sensors, the watch widget - which is supposed to be usable outside activities - insists to only use data from the Tempe, even though the watch is not continuously listening to the data from the Tempe.

The current behaviour in my opionion makes the widget unusable with a Tempe. When I lost my Tempe some months ago, I did not bother to buy a new one for my Fenix 3. (I now have a 5X+, and it is possible that the behaviour has changed in this watch model. I wouldn't know.)

As I see it, the watch should:
            • either try to record Tempe data 24/7 so there is actually a chance of having valid data for the temperature graph in the Temperature widget.
            • or make it possible for the Temperature widget to use the internal temperature sensor (and of course indicate which sensor is being used, both in current reading and in graph).
            • or make it possible for the Temperature widget to show both sensors separately.
            Of which I would much prefer the last option which would for example make it possible for me to measure air and water temperature simultaneously during a sea kayaking trip.

Comment

The Tempe overriding the internal sensor in the standard widget is the reason I wrote the Temps Widget, so if you have a Tempe paired, you can still see the data on the internal sensor.

Having the Tempe connected 24/7 would be really hard on the battery, as the ANT radio would be on all the time. You can see the added drain with Time and Tempe which is a device-app, that looks like a watchface, but stays connected to the Tempe.
              Last edited by jim_m_58; 09-15-2018, 06:01 AM.
              Facebook - Instagram -
              Twitter

Comment

I have the same problem posted here https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...empe=&posted=1
                You can use AmbiTemp for android phones its pretty fast connected to Tempe.
                jims widget is also good.

Comment

Originally posted by jim_m_58 View Post
                  It actually has to do with "how" it listens. For a dedicated app, it can listen just for the tempe, while on the watch, it's listening for a number of things (hr sensor, etc), so it can't dedicate listening to just one device. (there's more to it than that, but that's the 1000' foot view...)
                  Yeah, but then it still someway succeeds in getting readings much slower than mobile phones. At least it should have an ability to get the first readings in activity faster and can continue than with usual slower reading circle.
                  Previous summer I lost my Tempe in a 60 KM bike ride. Next day night, when returning the same route I used my mobile phone to catch Tempe signal and it worked and was fast. Without the mobile phone, I'd probably be searching in other areas. I was glad that some car didn't destroy passing over it. A hint in such situations is to look at Garmin Connect, where temperature data suddenly changes due to switch to internal and hotter sensor. However, I didn't have my computer and couldn't see the exact point on the map. Around 1,5 minute is a large area if you move at 35 - 40 kph speed.

Comment

This has been a longstanding gripe of mine since the fenix3. I use two different tempes during winter sports (fatbiking and backcountry skiing) to get a more realistic idea of temperature than that of my arm.

But it makes the temp display during the 98% of the rest of the time I wear the watch essentially useless. I would be completely happy with just some basic logic:

If tempe connected, show that temp. If not, show internal.

Comment

hi sis651, I was reading your last post and it came to my attention that you said that you found your Tempe sensor with your mobile phone, how do you do that? was it with Android or iOS?
                      thaks!
                      Leo

Comment

Originally posted by Xandi.p View Post
                        I have the same problem posted here https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...empe=&posted=1
                        You can use AmbiTemp for android phones its pretty fast connected to Tempe.
                        jims widget is also good.
                        AmbiTemp for Android

Comment

oh ok, thanks! so it's Android then...look for AmbiTemp in the AppStore an couldn't find it...shame cannot be with iOS yet....

Comment

Your Phone needs an Ant+ Sensor to work with Tempe.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoPac72 View Post
                              hi sis651, I was reading your last post and it came to my attention that you said that you found your Tempe sensor with your mobile phone, how do you do that? was it with Android or iOS?
                              thaks!
                              Leo
                              It was Samsung Galaxy S5 Android phone. Phone should have ANT radio. Other Samsung S series and Note series phones has ANT radios too but don't know for A and J series. Maybe some of them don't have ANT radios.
                              I used ANT+ Plugin Sampler app as I remember. It's capable to display data from almost all types of ANT sensors.

Comment

Working...
                              X