Fenix 5X - 10.55 Beta Release

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could somebody please do me a favour? trying out, if the elevation plot while navigation in the watch (not a predefined course) for example, navigate to an POI or point on map, is wrong?
    in V10.0 it still exists, and i found in the forum that it is there since V7.10.
    Example: navigate to a higher or lower point of elevation. and on my watch V10.0 more then the half of elevation plots are wrong. They end in the same elevation as they has startet. even if the route is only going up or down. sometimes it works. 2 times later it show the wrong one for next few times.
    Thank you very much for testing.
    On my Fenix 5x I noticed a very strange thing when looking at the elevation plot when navigating from point A to point B in a straight line rather than following
    Fenix 5X

Comment

i am on software version V10.0 and GPS 4.40. so if this don't fit here in post, please feel free to delete it.
      i noticed in V10.0 that the recorded values are pretty darn good! but the elevation gain calculated by the watch, are way off.
      for example: startet a hike at recorded elevation 1689m (in real 1690m) hiked up to the peak at recorded 2176m (in real 2182) so not much of. the watch and in connect is showing me an elevation gain of 469m. which even if it is straight up it should be 2176-1689= 487m. but opening the .fit file with a viewer (for example gpxsee) or download the gpx and look and add all the elevations, it give me an elevation gain of 494m. which is pretty correct.
      for example on short trail runnings, the watch shows me an elevation gain of 183m. the fit file recorded 221m which is nearly exactly what i can say.
      so i think, on GPS 4.40 the watch get's awesome results. but the software is calculating wrong. maybe this point is the same on 10.55?
      Fenix 5X

Comment

NOT GPS issue, but this fw: Notifications, music controll not working on IOS 12 ("gold").

Edit: I think this is just Connect app issue...
        Last edited by Swordhun; 09-14-2018, 06:36 AM.

Comment

iOS 12 is not officially released yet. As soon as it happens (next eeek)Garmin will update Connect app and any problems presumably will be resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by msn1967 View Post
            iOS 12 is not officially released yet. As soon as it happens (next eeek)Garmin will update Connect app and any problems presumably will be resolved.
            I know, that means "gold", final build, but downloaded as beta. Finally it seems working after one day, without (!) any sw update. Strange, but good news.

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw24 View Post
              I did another mountain bike ride today. A 22km ride, the 910XT says 276m elevation gain, the 5X says 194m elevation gain! 42% different this time (44% different last ride).

If I look at the graphs in Connect the 5X graph doesn't look bad (smoothed) like the older versions of firmware. Both graphs look "similar" now. But the elevation gain calculation is VERY different!

I looks to me like the elevation issue is back. It was much closer with V10.51. Usually the 5X was only around 15% lower than the 910XT.

I will send my FIT files to the beta team.
              One more mountain bike ride result.
              5X - 170 meter elevation gain. (100 %)
              910XT - 257 meter elevation gain. (151 %)
              Strava - 361 meter elevation gain. (212 %)

It is hard to know which one is correct but it would be nice if they were close. I did send the 5X and 910XT FIT files from my last ride to the support team but I didn't get a reply.

Anyone else noticing this? The 5X graphs look OK in Connect, they are not smooth like before but it seems like they are still calculating low.

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw24 View Post
                5X - 170 meter elevation gain. (100 %)
                Does this change much when you switch between Elev Corrections ‘Disabled’ to ‘Enabled’ when viewing your activity in the Garmin Connect website? (note that this won’t change the graph, just the summary Elev gain and Elev loss numbers). If it doesn’t change much, then there’s likely nothing wrong and the other numbers are the suspect ones. If there is a noticeable difference, then it might be useful to feed the fit files from the F5X and 910XT in to something like the fellrnr AnalyzeFIT tool https://fellrnr.com/wiki/AnalyzeFIT that will allow you to directly compare the elevation plots of the two devices. The previous elevation bug accross the Fenix 5/5X, Fenix 5+/5X+ and Forerunner 935 was over smoothing the elevation plot and was really obvious when you compared to the elevation plot of a device you know is working fine. A screen grab of that sort of comparison elevation plot is exactly what the beta team need to confirm there is still an issue to be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Crispin_Ellisdon View Post

Does this change much when you switch between Elev Corrections ‘Disabled’ to ‘Enabled’ when viewing your activity in the Garmin Connect website? (note that this won’t change the graph, just the summary Elev gain and Elev loss numbers). If it doesn’t change much, then there’s likely nothing wrong and the other numbers are the suspect ones. If there is a noticeable difference, then it might be useful to feed the fit files from the F5X and 910XT in to something like the fellrnr AnalyzeFIT tool https://fellrnr.com/wiki/AnalyzeFIT that will allow you to directly compare the elevation plots of the two devices. The previous elevation bug accross the Fenix 5/5X, Fenix 5+/5X+ and Forerunner 935 was over smoothing the elevation plot and was really obvious when you compared to the elevation plot of a device you know is working fine. A screen grab of that sort of comparison elevation plot is exactly what the beta team need to confirm there is still an issue to be fixed.
                  Great information Crispin but now I am even more confused. If I turn on elevation correction in CONNECT I get only 48 meters for the 5X and 50 meters for the 910XT. Similar between the two but very different from the non-corrected gain.

I used the AnalyzeFIT tool as suggested and have attached the graph. They look identical for the first 10 minutes and then they start to differ. It "SEEMS" to me like the 910XT is capturing more changes in elevation. They ending elevation is very close so it that seems to be good. I'm not sure what to think.

FIT_Analyzer.jpg
                  Last edited by outlaw24; 09-16-2018, 07:52 AM.

Comment

outlaw24, Looking at the graph, it seems the 910XT has some odd spikes in elevation at points (both up and down). That would explain a lot of the additional elevation gain seen on the 910XT. Similarly, looking at the max and min elevations, the Corrected elevation gain of 50 metres doesn’t seem unreasonable as Corrected elevation drapes your GPS track over a digital map and recalculates the elevation plot from the map elevation data. What that can’t take in to account is any subtle ups and downs from man made obstacles or natural ripples in the ground that aren’t big enough to make it on to a digital map; hence a barometric derived elevation gain may be more as it can pick up these subtle changes. To be honest, you’d need to do a ride with some bigger elevation changes (from max to min) to really flush out if there is still and issue.

Comment

Just to add, the sort of thing you are looking for is comparing a plot like the one I attach below. If you ignore that my friend’s 935 wasn’t calibrated properly before starting (hence the general offset), you can clearly see the old bug in his elevation plot profile, where the ups and downs are smoothed out.

Comment

I had the obvious smoothing as well with other versions of the 5X firmware and this seems different. The thing that I keeps me second guessing the 5X is when I bought it in November (with firmware V6.00.00) I compared rides with my 910XT at the time and the elevation gain was ALMOST identical on many rides between the two. Since then nothing has changed on the 910XT (no more firmware updates) but the elevation performance from the 5X has been completely variable.

Also when I ride the same course with my 910XT the elevation gains are always very similar to each other, even going back years ago. The elevation gain is very unpredictable with the 5X. Gains with V6.0.0 are different to V8.0.0 to the multiple V10's. Personally I am not too concerned with the actual elevation gain. What I would like it for it to be consistent so I can compare one ride to a different ride and actually know how much I climbed during my mountain bike rides. It is difficult to compare rides now because even riding the exact same course gives variable results with the 5X.

Comment

I click on the link which takes me to the download page but when I click to download the file I get a 404 error 'file not found on server'. Anyone else with this issue?

The requested URL /software/fenix5X_1055Beta.zip was not found on this server.
                          Last edited by caminodavid; 09-19-2018, 05:17 AM.
                          Buen Camino

David

Comment

Originally posted by caminodavid View Post
                            I click on the link which takes me to the download page but when I click to download the file I get a 404 error 'file not found on server'. Anyone else with this issue?

The requested URL /software/fenix5X_1055Beta.zip was not found on this server.
                            Works for me
                            http://download.garmin.com/software/...X_1055Beta.zip

Comment

Also for me ...

Comment

After some days of usage I can state that this is not the best beta in my experience, if I knew, I would stay with 10.52 with GPS 2.23, which seemed better for me, no elevation issue on bike and much better battery consumption. I dont want to downgrade just because of losing customization.

Comment

Working...
                                X