This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenix 5X - 10.55 Beta Release

Hello Fenix 5X users,

We have new beta software ready for your upcoming adventures!

Fenix 5X: https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...s.jsp?id=11665

Note: Please allow for the updates to propagate across all servers. There is no need to post that the link does not work. It will after a bit of patience.

10.55 Change Log Notes:
    • Fixed an occasional issue where the displayed lengths or distance during a pool swim could briefly show incorrect values.
    • GPS FW (2.24) should improve pace accuracy for running/walking activities and track performance for open water swimming activities.
    Our public beta users are encouraged to load the new GPS firmware and use it for their next activities. If there are any activities where the GPS performance did not improve, we would like to see them. This also includes if comparing to previous activities. To send data to us for evaluation, please include the following in an email to fenix5.beta@garmin.com:
    • FIT file(s) from Garmin\Activity folder
      • FIT files from previous activities if comparing same routes
    • GarminDevice.XML from the Garmin folder
    • Subject line of email must use the following format: ‘Fenix 5 Series - GPS 2.24 Evaluation - DATE_ForumUserID_ActivityType’ (ex. "20180823_odsweng_Walk")
    Following these instructions will ensure your email and files are delivered and sorted correctly. Lastly, you will not get an email reply unless we need more information from you, but rest assured, the data sent will be evaluated.

Please send all bug reports to fenix5.beta@garmin.com, and indicate which model of the fenix 5 series you have in the subject line.

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.
    Last edited by odsweng; 09-05-2018, 10:48 AM.

First.

Link not working.. yet.

EDIT: Working

EDIT 2: It's looking real good guys! Coming from 10.53 + GPS 2.23, GPS locks much faster. The elevation readings are even more accurate. Battery life is so far so good! Just came back from a 61 minute ride, GPS + GLONASS, HRM, 4% drain. If you zoom in far enough on the map, you'll notice that the line wanders a bit on and off road. Not super smooth, but not terrible either.

I will go for another ride tomorrow. Will report back those readings too!
    Last edited by AgentDBCooper; 09-05-2018, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Wow, great, going to test, currently on 10.52 with gps 2.23, having issues with battery drain, hope it ends with this new beta.

Comment

I have installed this beta, to test it out. GPS version is 4.40, is it correct? It should be 2.24!?

Comment

Should be 2.24
          Try going manually on the fenix to Settings => System => Software Update
          Probably there is the update still waiting for manual start.
          Mine went all in one without any manual interaction. I have had this in a prev beta anyway.

Comment

Updated to both 10.55 and GPS 2.24 in one shot without any problems.
            Still no coresponding GCM Android update for editing canned text messages (currently on GCM 4.10). Anytime soon Garmin ?

Comment

Updated ok. Open water swimming works fine. So I guess gps 2.20 issue is fixed.

Comment

first 3 km run using also stryd with mixed feelings. GPS fix like 8 minutes (which is ok, first fix long was expected), run itself ok, track accuracy most of the way fine, 2 places the track was out of road.using GPS only (before with 2.23 all tracks were clean) Now I will repeat run and focus on battery too.

Comment

Originally posted by SvnKswttr View Post
                  Should be 2.24
                  Try going manually on the fenix to Settings => System => Software Update
                  Probably there is the update still waiting for manual start.
                  Mine went all in one without any manual interaction. I have had this in a prev beta anyway.
                  Thank you, it worked. Every other thing has updated automatically after putting it in the folder. But now GPS too, great, will test it!

Comment

Originally posted by Doktorko View Post
                    first 3 km run using also stryd with mixed feelings. GPS fix like 8 minutes (which is ok, first fix long was expected), run itself ok, track accuracy most of the way fine, 2 places the track was out of road.using GPS only (before with 2.23 all tracks were clean) Now I will repeat run and focus on battery too.
                    Strange. I mean, neither 2.23 or 2.24 are giving me clean, accurate track lines. That said, comparing the two, I feel 2.24 is slightly better. And by slightly, I mean slightly. If we're nitpicking, yeah..

Also, my GPS lock speed is considerably faster on 2,24. That said, I never had to wait 8 minutes for a fix. Ever. On 2.23 it took between a minute and 2. 2.24 took less time.

You do a soft reboot? I've done two already.

Another update on the battery life: it's awesome! Since 1pm EST yesterday, until now, 9am EST, overnight, including a 61 minute bike ride (as mentioned before), 9.9% battery drain. I would say that is pretty damn good! Without any activity, I'm looking at about 5% drain every 24 hours. An extra 4% for every hour of activity.
                    Last edited by AgentDBCooper; 09-06-2018, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Dear all,

what about UltraTrac? Any better track recording or still more or less unusable?

Kind regards

Comment

Originally posted by AgentDBCooper View Post

Another update on the battery life: it's awesome! Since 1pm EST yesterday, until now, 9am EST, overnight, including a 61 minute bike ride (as mentioned before), 9.9% battery drain. I would say that is pretty damn good! Without any activity, I'm looking at about 5% drain every 24 hours. An extra 4% for every hour of activity.

That's good news....
                        been happy with 10.51..... but more battery life is always very welcome.
                        :--)

Fenix 5x:::::::: Fenix 3hr:::::::::Vivoactive hr:::::::::Garmin nuvi:::::::::Garmin Tempe::::

Comment

Originally posted by jaredbarez View Post
                          Updated to both 10.55 and GPS 2.24 in one shot without any problems.
                          Still no coresponding GCM Android update for editing canned text messages (currently on GCM 4.10). Anytime soon Garmin ?
                          +1 for...... " Anytime soon Garmin?"
                          I've been looking forward to this option :--(
                          Fenix 5x:::::::: Fenix 3hr:::::::::Vivoactive hr:::::::::Garmin nuvi:::::::::Garmin Tempe::::

Comment

GPS tracking not perfect but much better. probably the best it's been in the 6 months i have owned the 5x. 15 hrs since charge, 1 hour 30 min MTB ride with GPS/Gallileo and still at 89% battery. So, big improvement to battery life too it would seem.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentDBCooper View Post

Strange. I mean, neither 2.23 or 2.24 are giving me clean, accurate track lines. That said, comparing the two, I feel 2.24 is slightly better. And by slightly, I mean slightly. If we're nitpicking, yeah..

Also, my GPS lock speed is considerably faster on 2,24. That said, I never had to wait 8 minutes for a fix. Ever. On 2.23 it took between a minute and 2. 2.24 took less time.

You do a soft reboot? I've done two already.

Now the fix is pretty fast, like 15 seconds, just the first fix took long. BTW, EPO is still expired even after synchronization with Garmin Express latest version as was advised by Garmin Heath in post related to thread GPS 2.23. Tracks of all activities on 2.23 were really good in my case.
                              Battery so far looks better than before, but I fully charged just few hours ago. I have Battery Gauge installed so I can give good measurements later on.

Comment

Working...
                              X