Beta to release

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beta to release

Hi all,

I have Beta 10.51 on my 5X. Now that 10.00 has been released can I update to 10.00 without losing all my settings? Will I lose all my settings because I am going backward? Or is an official release not considered rolling back? Or do I just stay on 10.51 until V10.XX comes out?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by aawhyte; 08-10-2018, 10:17 AM.

Good question.....I'm sticking with 10.51 for now....not sure what 10.00 is all about yet...not sure if you'd loose any settings.....but your IQ apps and widgets could revert to a different order to which you originally chose.
    Others have confirmed that Galileo is no longer an option with 10.00.....although I found it was not a very good option anyway as its in its infancy....and I found GPS alone to be more useful....still it was still a cool option for the future..maybe it will be back in future updates....lets see what others who have downloaded 10.00 report.
    But I'm really happy with 10.51....just wish we had more info to make a better decisions.
    Fenix 5x:::::::: Fenix 3hr:::::::::Vivoactive hr:::::::::Garmin nuvi:::::::::Garmin Tempe::::

Comment

Originally posted by Sam201176 View Post
      Good question.....I'm sticking with 10.51 for now....not sure what 10.00 is all about yet...not sure if you'd loose any settings.....but your IQ apps and widgets could revert to a different order to which you originally chose.
      Others have confirmed that Galileo is no longer an option with 10.00.....although I found it was not a very good option anyway as its in its infancy....and I found GPS alone to be more useful....still it was still a cool option for the future..maybe it will be back in future updates....lets see what others who have downloaded 10.00 report.
      But I'm really happy with 10.51....just wish we had more info to make a better decisions.
      I'm with Sam here. I disabled Auto Update on my watch ASAP.

10.51 is working really well for me. I will be sticking with 10.51 until I am sure the "newer" version contain the same elevation fix and better battery life.

Comment

What is the timeframe in which our Fenix 5x is going to get software updates? I mean untill when the watch is going to be updated? If Garmin discontinues Fenix 5x updates before Galileo becomes fully functional i think they (Garmin) will not give us Galileo capability.
        Anyway what is going to be the benefit from using Galileo when our 5x does not have a dual frequency receiver which is a must in order to get the super accuracy of 1 meter?

Comment

Yeah that was in my original thought process as well, should we turn off the auto update if on the 10.51. or 10.52 beta's and want to keep them?

I turned it off and will sit in the holding pattern waiting for more info.

EDIT: Looking back at the entire software/beta releases, they have never dropped back to a lower release number. I think this latest release should have been V11.00? That possibly includes 10.51 and 10.52?
          Last edited by aawhyte; 08-10-2018, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I also turned off auto-update. After a bunch of disappointing versions I am happy with V10.51 and don't want to take a chance of something not working again. I now have much better but still questionable altitude tracking, and very good/great battery life even with a Connect IQ watch face. I don't want to take a chance of "breaking" my 5X again until I am sure this new version is better.

Comment

Well i am not sure how the fenix logic is but on my edge 1000 the update only occurs if the version of new firmware is higher .
              I guess it works the same on the fenix that's why the non beta is 10.00.
              So we won't get the latest official as it contains less features.

Comment

Ive reverted software a few times come to think of it.....
                I think I remember correctly that I did indeed loose my settings....
                I'm not sure what us beta testers/users who have downloaded 10.51/ 10.52, will find downgrading software number versions to 10.00?...
                As you say....this has never happend before.....
                Would be really interested if someone has downgraded to 10.00 from the 10+ beta's....and posts their findings.
                Fenix 5x:::::::: Fenix 3hr:::::::::Vivoactive hr:::::::::Garmin nuvi:::::::::Garmin Tempe::::

Comment

Originally posted by Sam201176 View Post
                  Ive reverted software a few times come to think of it.....
                  I think I remember correctly that I did indeed loose my settings....
                  I'm not sure what us beta testers/users who have downloaded 10.51/ 10.52, will find downgrading software number versions to 10.00?...
                  As you say....this has never happend before.....
                  Would be really interested if someone has downgraded to 10.00 from the 10+ beta's....and posts their findings.
                  Hi Sam201176, can you please tell me how you revertet to the "stable" branch? Is there a tutorial/howto somewhere? Sorry can't find anything quick and useful...

Comment

Hi :--)
                    Every Beta comes with instructions and a file.....to revert back to a previous software.....

QUOTE ::::::
                    1. If you would like to revert to the last public release software, drop the gupdate.gcd file, found in the System_Backdate_v920 folder, into the \GARMIN folder of the device.
                    2. NOTE: If you revert to an older version of software, all of your settings will be reset to defaults....End.
                    Will this be the case when reverting to 10.00 from 10.xx? ( no revert file)
                    Will there be issues?.....or because its official....will it just work normally?...hmm.

Last edited by Sam201176; 08-12-2018, 04:29 AM.

Comment

sorry didn't saw this! Thanks!

It's the first time i'm on a beta. the elevation bug forced me to try it. wondering now if the bug is gone in the 10.00.
                      Last edited by seilogramp; 08-30-2018, 09:37 PM. Reason: Inappropriate language

Comment

I just sent this to product support.......

When will we be able to respond to canned text responses in GCM? :::::::::::::::::::: How do I downgrade my 5x beta 10.51.....to the new official release of 10.00???!!! This is going backwards and could be unforseen problems.its never happend before.....some 5x users are waiting on the forums for the answer?!? ::::::::::::::::::::::::: Also the map update is 8gb!!!!! My watch has no room for your update???!!!.....no third party maps installed on my watch! This is unacceptable?! ::::::::::::::::::::::::: Please advise?!

The reply.....

Dear Samuel,
                        I am happy to help.

I am sorry to hear of this issue you mention. Instructions to rollback beta software can be found here - https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...11665#Instruct I am afraid this is not a known issue as such we are treating your case as an isolated issue.

I am very sorry you are having these issues, if the issue continues please let us know and provide screenshots.
                        Kind regards,
                        Marie
                        Garmin Europe.

I sent another email off...... :--(
                        Last edited by Sam201176; 08-13-2018, 04:57 AM.

Comment

My reply....

I'm afraid you misunderstand the question.

This is not isolated to me....this concerns everybody who has downloaded the beta 10.51and above.....you have for the first time in history released a public software lower in number than the beta version.......so we are unsure about updating our watches through GC as the software version is lower.

Do we all revert our software??!

I hope you understand now :--)

Also you didn't answer when editing canned text responses would be possible for the 5x users?

And you didn't answer why you have created a map update that wont fit on the 5x?

Please take the time to read through the email.

All the best,

Sam.

Comment

Reply from Garmin....
                            Dear Samuel,

I am sorry you feel that way.

I do understand what you are saying however this side it is not a physical issue or a known one and will be treated as an isolated issue. I am sorry I did not answer your other two queries let me address these now for you.

With the canned texts, I am unsure specifically what you mean you have not provided me with an example or enough detail. I need the phone model you are using and more information to address this.

With the mapping not fitting on the device there are some steps below to try:

I would recommend following the steps below to remove the XML file from your device.

Windows:
                            1. Plug the GPS device into the computer
                            2. Open the Computer
                            3. Open the Garmin drive
                            4. Open the Garmin folder
                            5. Delete the GarminDevice.XML file
                            6. Eject the GPS device from the computer
                            7. Power on the device

Mac:
                            1. Plug the GPS device into the computer
                            2. Open the Garmin drive
                            3. Open the Garmin folder
                            4. Delete the GarminDevice.XML file
                            5. Empty the Trash
                            6. Eject the GPS device from the computer.

Once your device has successfully powered on it will automatically create new XML file. Please also load the garmin folder and copy the gmap unl, img, bmap over to your computer desktop and delete from the folder once this is done please run the recent updateand then add these files back onto your device.

Kind regards,

Marie

Garmin Europe
                            :::::::::::::::::::
                            I think I'm going backwards with the canned text question...lol .they really have no idea what I'm talking about....
                            I'll phone next......

Comment

Working...
                            X