No announcement yet.

Fenix 5 Series OHR Cracking

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenix 5 Series OHR Cracking

I thought I had got away with the OHR cracking but alas my Fenix 5X has succumbed. No reply from support by email so I phoned them this morning and I have been told that this is a cosmetic issue that isn't covered under warranty. They also couldn't tell me whether it would affect the waterproof integrity of the device unless I sent it back to them at my own expense! Not happy.
    Has anyone else in the UK had their Fenix 5 replaced under warranty for this issue?
    Fenix 5X OHR Crack

Garmin SAT should replace your unit without any charge. Almost all the units are affected.
    Regards

Comment

Almost all of the units of the people participating in the forum. Not all of the units. This is different.
      Last edited by SUSSAMB; 07-11-2018, 12:58 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

Negative. Use google, telegram groups, facebook, etc...
        Regards
        Last edited by SUSSAMB; 07-11-2018, 12:58 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

Kermi - my 5X started cracking at 6 months old - maybe 3 or 4 cracks across the centre. I phoned Garmin UK Customer Service. They asked me a few questions - did I - shower with watch on (no) swim in the sea (no) - swim in the pool (no) - use moisturiser (yes) - use sun screen( yes ) etc etc. After the questions they said they were authorising a replacement and sent emails to confirm the process. The emails explained that it would be a refurbished watch so I was only to return my watch - not the box or the instructions/charging cable. I sent my watch off (insured) and they acknowledged receipt. Exactly two weeks later I received a brand new sealed in the box replacement complete with instructions and charging cable. Whether they didn’t have any refurbished units ready I don’t know but my replacement is definitely new. It still only has the remainder of the original Warranty though now 5 months which I think is fair enough.

Comment

I emailed them as per the instructions in the other thread about this.. I was not asked any questions but asked to return the watch for inspection. I was kept updated by Garmin to say they had it, then they had inspected it and would send out a replacement. Within the 2 weeks I had a brand new in the box 5x with gold contacts (my original and silver and I'd asked for this to be changed too as there had been reports of issues with the silver contacts).

absolutely no complaints about their service for me, sorry you've not been so lucky.

Comment

Did you have to pay for the return or was it a pre-paid service? I've had the watch for 11 months (bought August 2017) so still within the warranty period.
              Last edited by SUSSAMB; 07-11-2018, 02:48 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

I paid for the return plus insurance - it was about £8.

Comment

Mine also developed cracks on the HR sensor. People reported earlier that my batch number was good and affected early batches... WRONG!

Comment

After 2 months of use i got the cracks too (2 cracks to be specific).
                    SN: 54H0586..
                    Already one month since i have got the 2 cracks and i cannot see new ones to appear. The ones i have do not pass over the sensor and do not affect it's functionality AFAIK.
                    Wonder when they will propagate more in order to replace the watch.
                    Anybody knows what causes the cracks?
                    Last edited by Svetoslava; 08-10-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I received the replacement today

Old cracked : SN:54G0522**
                      New: 54G1551**

I don't think it is fixed. Sensor look made of the same material.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefyspanner View Post
                        Kermi - my 5X started cracking at 6 months old - maybe 3 or 4 cracks across the centre. I phoned Garmin UK Customer Service. They asked me a few questions - did I - shower with watch on (no) swim in the sea (no) - swim in the pool (no) - use moisturiser (yes) - use sun screen( yes ) etc etc. After the questions they said they were authorising a replacement and sent emails to confirm the process. The emails explained that it would be a refurbished watch so I was only to return my watch - not the box or the instructions/charging cable. I sent my watch off (insured) and they acknowledged receipt. Exactly two weeks later I received a brand new sealed in the box replacement complete with instructions and charging cable. Whether they didn’t have any refurbished units ready I don’t know but my replacement is definitely new. It still only has the remainder of the original Warranty though now 5 months which I think is fair enough.

I thought you can shower with it on?

Comment

Sellis....
                          Its usually not recommended in the watch industry to be a good idea to weaken the rubber seals with hot water as they expand and let in moisture....also after time of expansion and contraction....water resistance rating of the watch... can become compromised...
                          All water resistance is tested in cold/ room temperatures.
                          Maybe they were refering to the heat and the cold cracking the sensor cover gel?!....seems a bit lame lol..
                          Or maybe shampoo :--)
                          Glad the watch will be replaced :--)
                          Last edited by Sam201176; 08-11-2018, 09:09 AM.
                          Fenix 5x:::::::: Fenix 3hr:::::::::Vivoactive hr:::::::::Garmin nuvi:::::::::Garmin Tempe::::

Comment

Continuing status here as the old thread was closed for some reason... https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...r-cracks/page7

Replacement had stopped developing extra cracks for a few months, then today I checked it and see at least three new hairline cracks. This is a replacement unit, with recent batch number, and gold pins. Identical failure to the original.

It seems that Garmin never figured out the design flaw. If you get a replacement, it'll likely crack again in a few months. If possible, return it to the store and buy another model. I intend to do just that as soon as I can get to one.
                            Last edited by noln; 09-04-2018, 06:46 PM. Reason: Added link to original thread

Comment

Same issue (again) with mine, 10 months after beeing replaced due to ohr-cracking. Already sent it back to garmin. I was told i will most probably not receive a brand new one (like the first time this happened) but rather a refurbished one. All models i owned, where "silver-pin-models"
                              Last edited by jupjap; 09-05-2018, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X