Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fenix 5X - 9.71 Beta Release

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m experiencing issues with the stair recognition. I just climbed up from the underground about 4 or five floors and the Denice 5x counted exactly zero floors...

Comment

Has anyone tested battery performance with custom watch faces ? I have a user reporting that watch uses 25% or more per day when using my watch face. The watch face uses partial updates to draw a second hand so there may be some issues with updated firmware in this area ?

Comment

I think I have found an issue.

The caching of of location for next sun event calculation on my watch face (Europilot series) has stopped working. I check this against a couple other watch faces and the next sun event calculations are not working, which I suspect is due to writing/reading/caching location values from the watch storage.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeso27 View Post
          Has anyone tested battery performance with custom watch faces ? I have a user reporting that watch uses 25% or more per day when using my watch face. The watch face uses partial updates to draw a second hand so there may be some issues with updated firmware in this area ?
          I'm seeing about 20% battery loss per day (without using any activities or GPS) while running the custom urTime Aquatic face. I was getting 10% or less drain while on 8.xx, although this beta is better than the official release.

Comment

Originally posted by marcossaad_ View Post

Question:

When selecting GPS+Glonnass or +Galileu, does
            Garmin use one or another or a combination of them?
            The selection is either GPS+GLONASS, or GPS+Galileo. Or, of course, GPS only..

Comment

I know that.
              If I remember we need 4 satellites (for altitude) to lock a position and my question is: Can (or does) Garmin take i.g. 2 GPS satellites + 2 Glonass(Galileu) satellites for that ? Or any combination. Or Do they need in a given moment 4 gps or 4 Glonass(Galileu)?

Comment

light motion sensor no longer works with beta 9.71
                no longer reacts with wrist movement
                Last edited by Kees; 07-12-2018, 02:55 PM.
                Garmin Fenix 5X

Comment

Originally posted by Kees View Post
                  light motion sensor no longer works with beta 9.71
                  no longer reacts with wrist movement
                  Mine has never come on in a dark room. The After Sunset option I don't think uses a light sensor. The watch knows were it is and therefor when its dark. I didn't even think the watch had a light sensor.

Comment

About battery drain vs Fw vs WF...
                    after many test, the data for my Fenix are the following

FW 8.0 AND WF Min Gear or My Watch : battery 0,5-0,6%/hour
                    FW 9.71 beta AND WF Min Gear or My Watch: battery 1,0-1,2% /hour
                    FW 9,71 beta AND original WF : battery 0,2-0,3%/hour

So with the new firmware I must say goodbye to my favourites WFaces….

The battery drain with GPS is not so affected by WF and FW. In all the conditions I tested it is about the same that is 6% / hour

Comment

• Thanks for the tests!

Comment

• Not sure if anyone has gotten word from the Garmin people, but I just received this via email. Figured I would post it and have y'all give it a go and see if you see different results. I'll try this as soon as I get home.

Let us know if you get different elevation readings with the below recommendations.

Understanding How These Sensors Work

The barometric altimeter on the fenix Chronos and fenix 5 series use barometric pressure to determine changes in elevation, as well as pressure changes caused by weather patterns. Taking advantage of the fact that weather pressure changes occur at a slower rate than a person going up or down a hill, the unit will automatically transition between two modes; Altimeter or Barometer.
                        • Altimeter mode locks the barometer value and assumes all pressure changes are due to elevation change
                        • Barometer mode locks the altimeter value and assumes all pressure changes are due to weather

These wearable devices continually monitor barometric pressure to determine which of these modes is most appropriate at any given time. When the rate of change in pressure is significant, it indicates movement and therefore the changes in pressure indicate elevation change. The watch will go into the altimeter mode allowing the altitude to change and locking the barometric pressure.

When the rate of change in pressure is not significant, it indicates no movement and therefore pressure changes are due to weather. The watch will go into the barometer mode allowing the pressure reading to change and locking the altitude.
                        Manually Selecting a Mode

It is possible to manually lock the watch into the Altimeter mode if your activity involves changes in elevation or lock it into the Barometer mode if your activity is in a relatively flat area. The Barometer mode is also useful if you are more interested in your watch notifying you of impending weather changes instead of elevation changes.
                        Barometer Settings

• Auto (default setting): The watch will monitor changes and automatically switch between altimeter or barometer modes
                        • Altimeter: The watch is locked in altimeter mode and all changes in pressure will impact the elevation reading
                        • Barometer: The watch is locked in barometer mode and all changes in pressure will be considered due to weather and changes in ambient pressure
                        Changing Barometer settings

1. Hold UP to open the main menu
                        2. Select Settings
                        3. Select Sensors & Accessories
                        4. Select Barometer
                        5. Select Watch Mode

Calibrating the Altimeter

To maintain accurate readings when using the altimeter and barometer on these watches, the sensors needs to be periodically calibrated. By default, the watch will calibrate automatically using the GPS elevation reading whenever a new activity is started. However, depending on the GPS signal strength, these elevations can be off by as much as +/- 400 feet.

The sensor can also be calibrated manually, providing an accuracy of within +/- 50 feet. To maintain this level of accuracy the watch will need to be periodically recalibrated over time. For the best accuracy it would be recommended to do this hourly. Accessing Calibration Options

1. Hold UP to open the main menu
                        2. Select Settings
                        3. Select Sensors & Accessories
                        4. Select Altimeter
                        5. Select Calibrate

After selecting Calibrate, the watch will ask to calibrate using a current known elevation or by using the GPS elevation reading, or toggle the Auto Calibrate setting on or off.
                        Other Factors to Consider

Some factors that might impact the function of the altimeter and barometer might include rapidly moving air entering the sensor ports while participating in high speed activities; climate controlled buildings which can have slightly different pressure indoors compared to the ambient pressure outside; and soap, dirt, or salts from sweat which can clog the sensor ports. For the latter, you can try to clean the ports by soaking the watch in warm water with a little mild detergent.

Comment

• Yes, we all know that, but after swimming altimeter is impossible to calibrate !!!
                          Last edited by SUSSAMB; 07-14-2018, 07:59 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by KSodhi View Post
                            I think I have found an issue.

The caching of of location for next sun event calculation on my watch face (Europilot series) has stopped working. I check this against a couple other watch faces and the next sun event calculations are not working, which I suspect is due to writing/reading/caching location values from the watch storage.
                            This is probably due to the upgrade to new firmware and the longitude and latitude that the watch face needs for the sunrise/ sunset calculations being lost. Simply open up a running activity and keep that open until the watch gets a GPS location. Then discard the activity and go back to the watch face. It should then have the correct lat/lon to do calculations. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeso27 View Post

This is probably due to the upgrade to new firmware and the longitude and latitude that the watch face needs for the sunrise/ sunset calculations being lost. Simply open up a running activity and keep that open until the watch gets a GPS location. Then discard the activity and go back to the watch face. It should then have the correct lat/lon to do calculations. Thanks
                              I'm aware of this and the sunrise/sunset is not working despite having a lat/longlong and having completed a few activities. It is also not working for a few different watch faces, including Europilot, which I wrote.

When I get back from vacation, I will have to fire up my dev machine and see what's actually happening.

Is anyone else swing a similar issue?

Comment

• Originally posted by AgentDBCooper View Post
                                Not sure if anyone has gotten word from the Garmin people, but I just received this via email. Figured I would post it and have y'all give it a go and see if you see different results. I'll try this as soon as I get home.

Let us know if you get different elevation readings with the below recommendations.

Understanding How These Sensors Work

The barometric altimeter on the fenix Chronos and fenix 5 series use barometric pressure to determine changes in elevation, as well as pressure changes caused by weather patterns. Taking advantage of the fact that weather pressure changes occur at a slower rate than a person going up or down a hill, the unit will automatically transition between two modes; Altimeter or Barometer.
                                • Altimeter mode locks the barometer value and assumes all pressure changes are due to elevation change
                                • Barometer mode locks the altimeter value and assumes all pressure changes are due to weather

These wearable devices continually monitor barometric pressure to determine which of these modes is most appropriate at any given time. When the rate of change in pressure is significant, it indicates movement and therefore the changes in pressure indicate elevation change. The watch will go into the altimeter mode allowing the altitude to change and locking the barometric pressure.

When the rate of change in pressure is not significant, it indicates no movement and therefore pressure changes are due to weather. The watch will go into the barometer mode allowing the pressure reading to change and locking the altitude.
                                Manually Selecting a Mode

It is possible to manually lock the watch into the Altimeter mode if your activity involves changes in elevation or lock it into the Barometer mode if your activity is in a relatively flat area. The Barometer mode is also useful if you are more interested in your watch notifying you of impending weather changes instead of elevation changes.
                                Barometer Settings

I've got the same mail from garmin. nothing helped here. even tried to switch from smart mode to 1sec intervals. In my opinion this must be a SW Bug. Something with the grade recognition is slow. since the official 9.2 fw rollout i think i got problem with stair flight recognition too. maybe this plays together...

Comment

Working...
                                X