No announcement yet.

Elevation errors after update to 9.20 from 8.00

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elevation errors after update to 9.20 from 8.00

After updating from firmware 8.00 to 9.20 recently my watch seems to not record changes to elevation.
    Specifically it doesn't seem to notice decent, but it does seem to notice ascent. Which means no matter what, my watch's elevation always seems to go up, and never go down.

This is regardless if I am doing an activity or not.

On 8.00 the automatic detection of ascent and decent worked fairly OK, both while doing activities and also outside of activities.
    So this is a change (regression) after updating to 9.20.

It's an issue that i'm reporting since months; take a look here : https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...tion-units-bug , here: https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...on-fast-decent and here : https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...on-fast-ascent

Comment

Originally posted by renton82 View Post

The elevation data has never been very accurate. But it’s been ok for me on 8.00 for the most part. But after updating to 9.20 the elevation data is completely off. It’s bevome much much worse.

Comment

I have the same issue since updating to 9.20.

after a downhill phase, when i run back up it takes several minutes till the elevation slowly starts to add up. if the climb is "too short" it dosn't even change. i tested this today on a run, on familiar climbs.

in often train till i accumulated a specific elevation gain. if the watch behave like this, it's not really usable...

please have a look at this issue!

Comment

for me calculates only 1/3 ascending meters than it should (before update was perfect)

Comment

Experienced the same issue, my height meters are cut by more then half. Also the responsive when i start an activity became slow.

Comment

Did someone try to perform a device reset (https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...682FFEC60.html) and see if it solves the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by zeair View Post
                for me calculates only 1/3 ascending meters than it should (before update was perfect)
                omg, same issue here! It's underreporting ascent by a large margin. I would estimate that it's only calculating around 1/3 of my ascent as well based on 8 mtb rides.

Comment

I had the same problem with today activity, the first with v9.20, but I have already roll back to v8.00 and so I cannot perform the test of the device reset.

Comment

Originally posted by ziki77 View Post
                    I had the same problem with today activity, the first with v9.20, but I have already roll back to v8.00 and so I cannot perform the test of the device reset.
                    has downgrading to 8.00 fixed the issue? How did you do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Fasdasdfhj View Post

has downgrading to 8.00 fixed the issue? How did you do it?
                      https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...24#post1285524
                      You can find downgrade image of v8.00 into fenix5X_854Beta.zip.
                      PS: it is not needed to delete all Garmin folder content..the important is to backup the important data as specified in the Support Center article linked in the post.

I still not done a new activity (it is still today )...but in past activities with v8.00 ascent was fine.

Comment

Having the exact same elevation issiis on my Fenix 5S since the software upgrade. It seems during an activity once I originally topout on a climb the altitude calculation will freeze. It skips out on coubtcou the elevation gained on any shorter climbs and then will not work for minutes at a time on longer ones. Changes in elevation seem to trigger it freezing - as in when I start deacending. IveI notcied sometimes once I hit the lap reset it will randomly start working again. Not happy and I hope there is a fix soon.

Comment

Make sure to let Garmin know about this. I sent feedback and they said another customer had also noticed the issue. If they get more feedback then maybe they will prioritize it.

[email protected]

Comment

Same elevation issue on my Fenix 5 when cycling. It is not calculating well over half of my climbing. This only happened since last week or so, when my watch updated to 9.2. Very frustrated. I have emailed Garmin about it at the email address above. Hope they fix it soon. By the way, there is a 9.7 beta out, but I'm actually thinking of rolling back to 8.0 until they sort this out.

Comment

Originally posted by Elbearo View Post
                              Having the exact same elevation issiis on my Fenix 5S since the software upgrade. It seems during an activity once I originally topout on a climb the altitude calculation will freeze. It skips out on coubtcou the elevation gained on any shorter climbs and then will not work for minutes at a time on longer ones. Changes in elevation seem to trigger it freezing - as in when I start deacending. IveI notcied sometimes once I hit the lap reset it will randomly start working again. Not happy and I hope there is a fix soon.
                              Originally posted by TracyEWymer View Post
                              Same elevation issue on my Fenix 5 when cycling. It is not calculating well over half of my climbing. This only happened since last week or so, when my watch updated to 9.2. Very frustrated. I have emailed Garmin about it at the email address above. Hope they fix it soon. By the way, there is a 9.7 beta out, but I'm actually thinking of rolling back to 8.0 until they sort this out.
                              Could you try a device reset before downgrading? The backup and restore of the data is very simple, check my previous post about downgrade.
                              I can confirm that with 8.00 ascent/descent is OK again.

Comment

Working...
                              X