No announcement yet.

GPS Improvements?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Improvements?

Did an "unofficial", and not too precise comparison today between a route I hiked using a Fenix 5x, and today used my Spartan WHR Baro. Granted they were on different days, but the "obsticles", the trees, bushes, etc are very similar between the two hikes. Note that in the "easy" stretches, the tracks align pretty good, but in the difficult parts, the fenix does rather poorly. Note the long straight line at the top, this is a valley/canyon/gully/arroyo on one side, and houses, trees, fences, etc on the other. This is the best (IMHO) comparison between how these two work. The Fenix was set a 1 sec recording, GPS Best, No GLONASS, the Suunto was set at GPS Best with No GLONASS also.
    Before I chastised about being different days, I'm fully aware of that, but the similarties of the tracks in the "easy" parts should indicate that GPS conditions were at least similar.

Question is, has the firmware updates done anything to improve these problems?

http://mygpsfiles.com/app/#GelL9FVs

Which FW version do you have?
    Last edited by seilogramp; 06-13-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FabriziodeCa View Post
      Which FW version do you have?
      It was the 8.0 firmware.

Comment

This is my problem with GPS accuracy - sprints. Some ideas how to fix this? Thank you. This was on 8.0 FW, also 9.10 and 9.20.
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting .... I'm seeing similar issues on mine. This track is between my old FR220 and my new F5x.

I'm thinking of returning my F5x and getting the new Suunto 9, but I really like the maps on my F5x

http://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/#Ni9IxpUe

Comment

Originally posted by OEAGLEO View Post
            Did an "unofficial", and not too precise comparison today between a route I hiked using a Fenix 5x, and today used my Spartan WHR Baro. Granted they were on different days, but the "obsticles", the trees, bushes, etc are very similar between the two hikes. Note that in the "easy" stretches, the tracks align pretty good, but in the difficult parts, the fenix does rather poorly. Note the long straight line at the top, this is a valley/canyon/gully/arroyo on one side, and houses, trees, fences, etc on the other. This is the best (IMHO) comparison between how these two work. The Fenix was set a 1 sec recording, GPS Best, No GLONASS, the Suunto was set at GPS Best with No GLONASS also.
            Before I chastised about being different days, I'm fully aware of that, but the similarties of the tracks in the "easy" parts should indicate that GPS conditions were at least similar.

Question is, has the firmware updates done anything to improve these problems?

http://mygpsfiles.com/app/#GelL9FVs
            This is a little off topic, but I'm really thinking of returning my F5x (still within the REI window) and getting the Suunto 9. I'm a little worried the Suunto 9 (very similar to your Baro HR) is a step backward from the F5x and there is no mapping. I've come to like the course routing and topo, but OMG mine seems so inaccurate.

Since you've used both the Baro HR and F5x, what are your thoughts on the two?

Comment

Originally posted by gundrted View Post
              Interesting .... I'm seeing similar issues on mine. This track is between my old FR220 and my new F5x.

I'm thinking of returning my F5x and getting the new Suunto 9, but I really like the maps on my F5x

http://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/#Ni9IxpUe
              I read in DCRainmaker reviews Suunto 9 GPS performance is worse than Fenix 5X Plus. So if you can return your Fenix 5X, try Fenix 5X Plus.

Comment

Originally posted by sis651 View Post

I read in DCRainmaker reviews Suunto 9 GPS performance is worse than Fenix 5X Plus. So if you can return your Fenix 5X, try Fenix 5X Plus.
                I also read that review. I always take some pause when it comes to reviews on pre-production gear. He also noted that it was a pre-production model and didn't think the GPS would be an issue by the launch date. If I do return my F5x, I won't get the F5x Plus. Its just to much money. $800 for a GPS watch. No thanks.

Comment

Then wait a bit, to see Suunto 9 GPS improvements and go on...

Comment

From my understanding the only improvements in GPS accuracy will come from the GPS firmware rather than the main firmware. GPS firmware in currently on 4.4.

Comment

Originally posted by bohemians View Post
                      From my understanding the only improvements in GPS accuracy will come from the GPS firmware rather than the main firmware. GPS firmware in currently on 4.4.
                      That makes sense. This would only help if there is an issue with the main unit's firmware interpreting the GPS data. If the issue is in the GPS, then nothing changes.

Comment

Enabling Galileo in firmware would help. Appears from the reviews of the 5x Plus by dc rainmaker that is has a noticeable improvement. That's not to say there isn't an improved hardware change to antenna in the plus too which also helps, that I don't know. Either way I think it should now be enabled on the 5 model as standard.

Comment

Fenix 5 Plus series has a newer GPS chip. That is different than older Fenix'es and other Garmin watches. So I think it may be better than Fenix 5X even without Galileo or Glonass. Also Galileo coverage is not complete yet. Sometimes my phone fixes to six Galileo satellites and sometimes to only two. So I think even without these additional constellations it may perform better. Also there are watches in the market that only supports GPS but more accurate than Fenix'es...

Comment

I figured it might be a combination of better hardware and Galileo getting the results. I'd like to think that if Garmin tested switching it on with the 5x and it did help improve the average GPS then they would push it out via firmware. I could live with that - We enabled it for you and its better but the physical changes in the 5x+ make it EVEN better. That sugar I could buy. :-)

Comment

The Fenix 5 has the MT3333 built in.
                              Garmin once said:
                              This is What Garmin says about it: β€œOn December 15th the European Commission announced that the European satellite system Galileo will start offering its initial services. Over the next few years Galileo will increase the number of satellites from the existing 18 to the full operational capacity of 30 satellites. We at Garmin have been tracking the development of Galileo for over a decade and will continue to track its development. Many of our products are Galileo capable, and now that the Galileo system has reached its initial operational capability, we will carefully test and validate our Galileo capable products and provide selected updates at a future date. We are committed to delighting our customers with best in class positioning capabilities, and look forward to integrating the Galileo service into many of our products.” https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch...Ex3iAUBY9UEbd9β€œ
                              Lets see if they fulfill their promises. An Improvement for the Fenix 5 GPS accuracy would be very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X