Fenix 5X bike holder

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenix 5X bike holder

Hello

Unfortunately Garmin doesn't offer a quick release bike mount for the Fenix 5X. So I had to be creative ...
    Now I want to present you my handmade bike mount.

The mount was build of 30 x 10 mm aluminium bars. The hole for the handlebar I drilled with a 32 mm step drill. To mount the watch on the holder I used the truncated clamps of a quick release wristband.

I'm a DIY'er, so I used only simple tools: rotary tool, bench drill, hacksaw, files, abrasive paper/fleece. I often considered to buy a milling machine, too late for this project. It would have saved me a lot of sweat.

In a final step I anodized the parts deep black.

Last edited by joergonaut; 06-05-2018, 07:42 PM.

That's brilliant! Well done, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Well done! Looks good.
      In use: fenix 5x, oregon 550t

Comment

That is so creative... and that would work with other fenix watches also

Comment

Wow, that looks great! do you have some more measurements so i can rebuild it at home?

really awesome Idea! how did u paint it black?

Comment

Originally posted by Mjaore View Post
            do you have some more measurements so i can rebuild it at home?
            I have a 2D drawing from the upper holder in QCAD (dxf). It's without inner holes (just the outer shape). For the inner arcs two 20 mm holes are drawn. The total measurement of the upper holder is 75 x 46 mm. I added a photo to the album (05_x.jpg), where you can easily measure the other dimensions in the picture. Handlebar hole is 32 mm.

Originally posted by Mjaore View Post
            how did u paint it black?
            As written in the starting post I anodized the parts. It's electrolytic passivation process. You'll find many tutorials/guides on the internet.

Comment

Hab ich damals überlesen! vielen dank! ich werde mein Glück probieren, aber so perfekt wie deines wird es nicht werden!

Comment

You've got to get your average speed up! LOL
                Trying to remember the GPS units I have owned: Garmin GPS II, Garmin GPSMap 76, Garmin Etrex Vista, Garmin Etrex Vista HCx, Garmin Etrex 30, Garmin Fenix 2, Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin Forerunner 110,

Currently owned GPS units: Garmin fenix 3 Grey Performer S/N 4630110xx software 3.30 GPS firmware 2.80, Garmin Etrex HCx, Garmin Oregon 650, Garmin nüvi 1450, iPhone 5

Comment

it's really nice to see but it misses any any vibration/shock feature. The Fenix is designed to work on a human wrist so I don't know how it will cope with direct strain from the handlebars

Comment

Originally posted by 123none123 View Post
                    it's really nice to see but it misses any any vibration/shock feature. The Fenix is designed to work on a human wrist so I don't know how it will cope with direct strain from the handlebars
                    Neither the Bicycle Mount Kit (010-11029-00) nor the Quick Release Kit (010-11251-0S, for Forerunner 935 (almost identical to the Fenix 5)) has any vibration/shock features. Therefore I think the 5X is build solid enough to be mounted without any pampering on MTB handlebar.
                    Last edited by joergonaut; 06-12-2018, 10:13 AM. Reason: Links inserted

Comment

I mount mine with the standard Garmin bike holder, but being honest the appropriate piece of pipe insulation could so the same job
                      ActiveJR
                      Fitness tech and wearable reviewer
                      Web: https://www.activejr.com
                      YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/activejr

Comment

Originally posted by joergonaut View Post
                        It is made from soft rubber, that is shock absorbing.

Comment

Wow, that's really realy cool. I am trying a to build a holder like yours for the handlebar torch.
                          How did you cut the wristband that it looks so professional?
                          What kind of screws did you use for fixing the quickfit mount?

Kind regards

Comment

When I have my Fenix 3, I mount it on the bike mount kit and never skipped a beat for road cycling. For MTB, I just wear it on the wrist.

I will probably do the same for Fenix 5X, bike mount for road and wrist "mount" for MTB.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGotchi View Post
                              How did you cut the wristband that it looks so professional?
                              What kind of screws did you use for fixing the quickfit mount?
                              For simple cutting I used a saw, for exact finish and rounding a belt and disc sander (forgotten in the list of tools).
                              The original screws used in the quickfit band were 1.5 mm. I used 2 mm screws, because the M2 tap was the smallest one I had.

Comment

Working...
                              X