No announcement yet.

GPS 4.4 and improvement in accuracy

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS 4.4 and improvement in accuracy

Huge and visible improvement in accuracy from 4.30 to 4.40 (received in an OTA update).

Similar reports from others?

I've had the update for awhile. Actually forgot about it. Pehaps its a fluke. but twice during recent long runs, the GPS went wonky and became skewed. Its as if one of the x-y-z axis values suddenly has off but about 50-100yards. For example. Imagine running around an over track 10 times. You'd basically expect to see 10 circles mostly on top of each other. But what I saw is that some of those laps would be shifted. but only in one axis. like it was blurred or double vision. I've had that happen a few times lately.

Comment

I have been doing the same out and back for a couple of months and yesterdays trail run seemed much more accurate except for a huge discrepancy at the start point where it had me 40 feet down a hill in the poison oak. Granted this is under tree cover but the GPS did signal as locked next to my vehicle. Normally when I hit a couple of stream crossings deep in between some huge boulders I get some widely varying tracks but not much now.

Comment

Hello guys,

I’m curious. What GPS settings do you use? GPS only or with GLONASS?

Regards,

Jim
        Garmin devices: Fenix 5x, Varia Vision, Varia Radar, Speed/Cadence Sensors, and Edge® Remote Control

Comment

Not noticed any improvements - that I can see. Its never done badly around these parts though. I ride most single track - a lot under coverage. I use a speed sensor now too - helps things along.

I use 1 second and gps only. I played with glonass before but found It seemed less accurate - found a lot more join the dot straight lines, like it got confused/lost signal but just joined two points.

Comment

I am using GPS/Glonass for MTB, Trail Running and hiking. Leaving just on GPS for Ocean SUP , Road Biking and others as a start, assuming less open areas may benefit. I use a 62s also and believe it uses both.

Comment

My GPS is taken with a Fenix5X and my friend is running with a 645. Both Garmin but very difrent results as you can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogier View Post
                My GPS is taken with a Fenix5X and my friend is running with a 645. Both Garmin but very difrent results as you can see.
                The track on F5X is very bad but what about distance tracked? Distance is the same on both watches?

Comment

i think so, but not sure of it because i did not reset my watch after the warm-up round and he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogier View Post
                    i think so, but not sure of it because i did not reset my watch after the warm-up round and he did.
                    I understand that having spent a lot of money track issues are disappointing but at the end what really matters is time and distance...I'm I wrong?

Comment

Ofcourse at the end that's the most important but i think this should work the way it's ment to work. I'm using also Strave and now i miss several segments and that's not what i want.

Comment

Here i am again. This time with a better result (for now). I have update to 8.99 and after that i reset my watch to factory defaults. Today i run a route with a couple of friends and now the GPS is working ok i had the same results as my friends and the route follows the roads pretty ok. So fingers crossed and hope this is the solution......

Comment

Working...
                        X