No announcement yet.

Altimeter is wrong on fast decent

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altimeter is wrong on fast decent

Hi. I am now on my second fenix 5x. Currently using fw. 8.00 have also tried fw. 8.54b.

I am experiencing very slow response of the altimeter.
    it can use up to 4min to catch up. This was never a problem on fenix 1, 2, 3hr and epix.

this is also causing problem with decent values.
    have attached a photo from one of my skimo sessions
    I am standing still but altimeter is dropping 300m. It uses 4min to catch up. Elevationplot is wrong on decent.
    Fenix 1 - Retired
    Fenix 2 - Retired
    Epix - in use
    Fenix 3hr - in use
    Fenix 5x - in use

Please report it by email to the beta team.
    Edge 810 | Edge 1000 | Forerunner 410 | Forerunner 610 | fenix 3 | fenix 5x | VIRB Elite

Comment

It is done:-)
      Last edited by SUSSAMB; 06-11-2018, 06:14 AM.
      Fenix 1 - Retired
      Fenix 2 - Retired
      Epix - in use
      Fenix 3hr - in use
      Fenix 5x - in use

Comment

Originally posted by Stig_Erik View Post
        Hi. I am now on my second fenix 5x. Currently using fw. 8.00 have also tried fw. 8.54b.

I am experiencing very slow response of the altimeter.
        it can use up to 4min to catch up. This was never a problem on fenix 1, 2, 3hr and epix.

this is also causing problem with decent values.
        have attached a photo from one of my skimo sessions
        I went to ski today and altimeter, and ski app, was completely useless! When i was starting a descent, altimeter was continued to climb! I did never know my correct altitude! I have just reported it during chair lift ascent....

Comment

what Barometer MODE are you using?
          AUTO?
          Altimeter?
          Barometer?

F5x does struggles in AUTO mode and get lost on Altimeter mode, so I'm not sure which is worst ...

Regards,

Comment

I knew it, and i tried with and without auto calibration.... no way...
            Last edited by SUSSAMB; 06-11-2018, 06:15 AM. Reason: Please don’t quote the post directly above yours, it's unnecessary and just clutters up the thread, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by marcossaad_ View Post
              what Barometer MODE are you using?
              AUTO?
              Altimeter?
              Barometer?

F5x does struggles in AUTO mode and get lost on Altimeter mode, so I'm not sure which is worst ...

Regards,
              This baromode setting has nothing to do with altimeter functionin during activity, accoding to the manual. But to be 100% sure I have tested the altimeter in altimeter mode during activity also. Same result as described above.
              have done almost 18000 vertical meters since I got the watch a month ago, so the watch has been tested.
              Fenix 1 - Retired
              Fenix 2 - Retired
              Epix - in use
              Fenix 3hr - in use
              Fenix 5x - in use

Comment

I have the same observation. Have 12 sessions of alpine skiing during March, with some 63.000 meters in altitude. Have had both auto and altitude setting on the barometer, and in both cases I could see how the timing continued and the altitude decreased as I was in the lift going upwards.

Also, I failed to calibrate altitude on a couple of occasions as I was in the activity, and went to the ABC widget for calibration. The calibration menu did not accept my input.

I also took the opportunity to compare OHR sensor to strap HR, and the OHR lags some, missing the initial increase in heart rate as I start to go downhill. As a side note, I did not achieve any training effect worth noticing, but that is perhaps a reflection on either my effort downhill... or my current aerobic fitness...

Comment

I’m prety sure that the MODE does afects
                  the way it behaves even during activities.

Regarding the watch not accepting calibration
                  imput I had the same issue that Wasser solved after a soft reset.

Comment

This bug is still here with 9.10, the only fix is to roll back to 6.83b. I have reported it many times but there is nothing to do! They simply don't hear us!

Comment

Thanks for the info, good to know that there is a working fw for the altimeter. I will try the fw when skimoseason starts up again in October. If this issue is not fixed by then... finger crossed:-)
                      Last edited by SUSSAMB; 06-11-2018, 06:15 AM. Reason: Please don’t quote the post directly above yours, it's unnecessary and just clutters up the thread, thanks.
                      Fenix 1 - Retired
                      Fenix 2 - Retired
                      Epix - in use
                      Fenix 3hr - in use
                      Fenix 5x - in use

Comment

From time to time my watch also does not accept calibration input being necessary a soft reset.
                        Unfortunately I have to calibrate it frequently in oppose to my cheap weather station the is always right...

Comment

Originally posted by marcossaad_ View Post
                          From time to time my watch also does not accept calibration input being necessary a soft reset.
                          Unfortunately I have to calibrate it frequently in oppose to my cheap weather station the is always right...
                          This is another thing... your weather station hasn't altimeter mode... you set it for known altitude and it stays so... also if you set your Fenix 5X on "barometer mode" and you leave it at the same altitude you don't have to calibrate it... Fenix 5X leaved on auto mode has to decide if pressure change is due to an altimeter variation or atmospheric pressure change.

Comment

I understand but once Garmin sells this called "auto mode" IMHO it should work, otherwise take off... Why getting beat for that?
                            Just to be clear I'm a Garmin customer since GPS II Plus plus and I love my Fenix5 and I still have a completely functional F1. I'm just saying that they don´t need those functions that everybody knows doesn't work nether those annoying bugs that are never fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by renton82 View Post
                              , the only fix is to roll back to 6.83b.
                              Thanks for the reminder of which sw ver that handled elevation best. Now downgraded and I'm almost always run with both my v800 and 5x and then merge in data from v800 if those are better. This was the first time this year I used the elevation data from 5x.

Comment

Working...
                              X