Default Watchface Bug

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default Watchface Bug

Hello everybody,

I bought a Fenix 5x last Friday and got it updated to the latest 8.00 firmware automatically through Garmin connect.
    I am having a problem with the watchface resetting to default shortly after I changed (within 5 minutes). I tried different watchfaces from connect IQ already, but no difference.

Following entry I found multiple times in the log-file <\Garmin\Apps\LOGS\CIQ_LOG.TXT>:

ERROR: Symbol Not Found Error
    DETAILS: Failed invoking <symbol>
    STORE_ID: bfa0dd86d94745d7832e3ea36f5c4fba
    CALLSTACK:
    @PC = 0x10001c2d
    @PC = 0x100073b3

tried following watchfaces so far:
    Sport Master
    HandFive
    SecondHand

I tried to factory-reset the device already, but no change. I saw reports on the web already about "default watchface bug", but they refer to old fw-version (2.x, 3.x) - I thought this was fixed before.

Hi NEA1971 ,

Please press and hold the Menu button, then press Settings - About, if you scroll through these pages, what does it say the Display software version number is?

Additionally if you plug the device in to the computer and open the GARMIN folder, and then the DEBUG folder, are there any files in this folder? If so, please email them to fenix5.beta@garmin.com.

Thank you!
    Mel
    Garmin Outdoor Software Quality Team

Comment

The error in CIQ_LOG.txt should be passed on with "contact developer" in the app store. Of the 3 you listed, 2 are by the same dev and I don't see the 3rd in the store. With the same developer, it could just be the same bug in both, and nothing FW related,.

I'm on 8.00 and have display 2.80. I know this one works: Simple Big.

I have others in the store that run fine on the f5x too.

The log itself could be a simple typo in the developer's code.
      Last edited by jim_m_58; 02-20-2018, 07:19 PM.
      My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
      Facebook - Instagram -
      Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by jim_m_58 View Post
        The error in CIQ_LOG.txt should be passed on with "contact developer" in the app store. Of the 3 you listed, 2 are by the same dev and I don't see the 3rd in the store. With the same developer, it could just be the same bug in both, and nothing FW related.
        Hi, I am the developer of HandsFive and SecondHand. Nobody contacted me with such an issue (HandsFive has over 100-thousands downloads). I am using both codes on my own Fenix 5x device without any problems as well (currently having FW 8.0 too) and can confirm that both are physically running well also on various other supported devices.

I am really curious what could cause NAE1971's reset to the default watch face. Perhaps some inconsistency of the app's settings and its version? Could it be a Garmin cloud synchronization issue? Have you recently tried to install the watch faces from the scratch after power cycling your watch? (turn it OFF/ON and then uninstall your current watch face version prior to the new installation) You can also contact me via contact developer as it was suggested by jim_m_58.
        My CIQ watch faces: https://goo.gl/z4MpXh

Comment

The f5x and Approach S60 are the ones with the "display" part,and if it's old that could be the problem. A sideload with debug symbols would also give more details in ciq_log.txt.
          My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
          Facebook - Instagram -
          Twitter

Comment

Display software is on 2.80 - guess this is the latest one. Anyway - I did contact the developer of those two watch-faces and explain the problem to him. He replied claiming he never heard about this issue and he is using this on his own f5x. I am using GearMin now and have no issue with it. When I used SportMaster (it's one of the additional Garmin faces from the store) the other two were still installed, which I think still caused the issue. Having SportMaster installed as only additional Watch-face solved the issue already.

Comment

Originally posted by mbell-SVK View Post

Hi, I am the developer of HandsFive and SecondHand. Nobody contacted me with such an issue (HandsFive has over 100-thousands downloads). I am using both codes on my own Fenix 5x device without any problems as well (currently having FW 8.0 too) and can confirm that both are physically running well also on various other supported devices.

I am really curious what could cause NAE1971's reset to the default watch face. Perhaps some inconsistency of the app's settings and its version? Could it be a Garmin cloud synchronization issue? Have you recently tried to install the watch faces from the scratch after power cycling your watch? (turn it OFF/ON and then uninstall your current watch face version prior to the new installation) You can also contact me via contact developer as it was suggested by jim_m_58.
              I used your HandsFive on my previous Fenix 3 without any problem up until now. I really love this one, but unfortunately I cannot use it on the f5x. If I recall correctly the problem seem to get worse when I used the actual heart-rate on the bottom-field of the top-circle. There is also another issue when using sunrise/sunset on the bottom - it sometimes only shows "GPS" on both fields. I think I saw a comment about this one in the store before. When forcing a GPS-sync manually the data shows up then, but I think the information didn't remain for long.

Comment

"When I used SportMaster (it's one of the additional Garmin faces from the store) the other two were still installed, which I think still caused the issue. Having SportMaster installed as only additional Watch-face solved the issue already."

Did you have all available app/ memory slots filled? 32 I think.
                My two 5x's cant use all 32 app memory slots, only 31.
                If the last available slot is filled with an app/ watchface etc,I get the watchface but if I scroll to the first widget, the watchface is duplicated instead of the widget, so I get two watchfaces and loose the last installed widget.
                If i then uninstall the last app installed I get my widget back.
                So both 5x's Ive had, I can only utilise 31 memory slots or I'll have watchface problems, happens in all versions since 6.0 ( when I bought the 5x)
                Just a thought.........
                Last edited by Sam201176; 02-24-2018, 06:26 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote post :-)
                Fenix 5x:::::::: Fenix 3hr:::::::::Vivoactive hr:::::::::Garmin nuvi:::::::::Garmin Tempe::::

Comment

I haven't checked that explicitely, but I don't think I did. When I experienced the issue I thought something wrong with the watch. I reset to factory defaults and installed only the watchface in addtion. Now I also still have 21 slots free.
                  Last edited by SUSSAMB; 03-13-2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NEA1971 View Post

I used your HandsFive on my previous Fenix 3 without any problem up until now. I really love this one, but unfortunately I cannot use it on the f5x. If I recall correctly the problem seem to get worse when I used the actual heart-rate on the bottom-field of the top-circle. There is also another issue when using sunrise/sunset on the bottom - it sometimes only shows "GPS" on both fields. I think I saw a comment about this one in the store before. When forcing a GPS-sync manually the data shows up then, but I think the information didn't remain for long.
                    Hi, I'm sorry for your trouble but you must have installed some of the older versions of HandsFive (I fixed the issue related to the "lost" position quite long time ago). Try to fetch the newest v6.30 and remove the old version prior to the installation of new one (since the settings were changed). I can really confirm, that on my Fenix 5x device as well as on some other physical devices of my colleagues it works without any issues. In case your problem persists, please contact me via "contact developer".

Comment

I must say that just for the heck of it, I downloaded the "Hands Five" watchface, got it configured, and it's working fine on my F5x. I am now quite sure what the bottom dials represent, as the "time to next sun event" doesn't appear right, but then, I've only had it on for a few minutes, mainly to check to see if it's working here. I do like the watch face, but the bottom fields say (Top) 52/92, (Bottom) 62, which to me doesn't indicate time. This is at approx 8AM. :-), although it may be heart rate, (min/max, current), but I'm not sure.
                      Still, a nice watch face, I may play with it a bit more, and even open up my wallet for this one.. :-)
                      Last edited by SUSSAMB; 03-13-2018, 10:26 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

Thanks for downloading and confirmation (and even for the eventual support . Regarding the numbers in the bottom dial, they are min|max and current HR. If you want to display sunrise/sunset events you have to change that in watch face settings via Garmin Connect or Garmin Express. I know, the settings are a bit complicated but that's the price for the face complexity . In order to get the sunrise and sunset times in the bottom, you have to either disable HR or to select HR data field for the upper dial.
                        Last edited by SUSSAMB; 03-13-2018, 10:27 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

As I mentioned before - I newly bought the 5x and I even reset the watch once. The HandsFive version was the latest one at that time, now after your post I tried again with the updated Version 6.30-upd1. Before I installed this version I had only the default watchface and GearMin installed. Still same result.
                          I made a video now - you may check below....

Last edited by NEA1971; 03-17-2018, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your video. I'm only curious why me (and many, many others) do not see this on their own devices. Perhaps your watch is faulty (HW or SW).

Anyway, was there new \Garmin\Apps\LOGS\CIQ_LOG.TXT created in your watch? If yes, could you please send it to me via contact developer, so I can check whether this can be really related to given watch face?

Comment

Working...
                            X