No announcement yet.

fenix 5x GPS to distance discrepancy

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fenix 5x GPS to distance discrepancy

at least the fenix 5x has a problem (or is this a feature?) with the recorded distance in comparison to the GPS-track.
    Determiantion of the distance out of the GPS-track leads to a different total distance!
    My sunday-run of 21,1 km (running wearing fenix 5x, fenix 3 HR and Polar V800) had the following result:
    - fenix 5x displayed 20,88 km and measuring a track length of 21,16 (checked within excel and GPS-Track-Analyzer).
    - fenix 3HR displayed 21.07 km and measuring a track length of 21,23km (same as above).
    - Polar V800 displayed 21,11 km and measuring a track length of 21,13km (same as above).
    The worst deviation is km 14:
    - the track is shown (within google earth) nearly the same - no severe deviation
    - start-distance (13km-flag from kml-file) 3HR to 5x (3HR ahead):33m (determined by googel earth)
    - end-distance (14km-flag from kml-file) 3HR to 5x (3HR ahead):157m (determined by googel earth; linear measered)
    And this is what the 5x told me during the race: that I needed about 35 seconds longer for this km!!

I did not check all gps-tracks for their real length, but in fact I have very often severe distance deviations fenix 5x to 3HR (Polar V800 very similar to 3HR), two weeks before there was a deviation of over 500metres!

That the distance shown is shorter thane real is unacceptable. Some competitions fenix 5x recorded 20,8 km instead of 21,093km , e.g.

Resetting the 5X is the first suggestion of GARMIN!

No improvement!

I'm really disappointed from 5x. - Since I evaluated some tracks I know that there must be a software problem (calculation problem).
    Attached Files
    best regards

beta-L-user

Hi, Fenix 5X tracks are horrible. These days I have been analyzing tracks and....poor tracks. Its not problem of reseting its problem of fenix 5x.
    Regards

Comment

I noticed that too in the 5, are you using 1s or smart logging? It should be the same result but one never knows.

What is strange is that is a pure sum error and not GPS problem.
      It looks like a roundup problem due to the points being too close.
      Last edited by jose.cboliveira; 02-07-2018, 04:20 PM.

Comment

try changing 1s recording VS. smart recording .
        glonass: off !

Comment

Originally posted by jose.cboliveira View Post
          I noticed that too in the 5, are you using 1s or smart logging? It should be the same result but one never knows.

What is strange is that is a pure sum error and not GPS problem.
          It looks like a roundup problem due to the points being too close.
          I use 1s.
          Yes it seems to be a sum error.
          Same settings with 3HR and 5x, but 5x's results are worse.

half marathon / competition ends up with 20,8 kms (instead of 21,1km). - and I'm sure that it is impossible to stay on the shortest track!
          attached you'll find two tracks - comparing the good track from my Polar V800 and the bad one from fenix 5x! unbelievable!
          best regards

beta-L-user

Comment

I’m having the same issues.

3 5k Park runs with a 5x and it reports them as 4.6km. Have tried with Glonass on and off.

Comment

If you have the 5X have you checked whether it is set to try and follow rods or not? I was doing some orienteering a few weeks back and the track was completely bananas - it showed me hundreds of meters from where I knew I had run... turns out I had follow roads on and the watch subsequently tried to move me out to the closest road, although I was running in the woods. After changing that it was much better.

Comment

Working...
              X