Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fenix 5X - 7.93 Public Beta

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a bit of experimentation, it looks like RHR as decided by the F5X is worthless to me now.

When HR is on overnight, RHR appears to be selected based on an average across a certain amount of time, while sleeping is detected (not necessarily based on sleep hours as set in GC). If HR is turned off overnight and turned on in the morning, it still seems to select a value across a time frame. This value only seems to ever go up during the day, and will not lower when HR less than the determined RHR is present.

This morning I turned HR on and registered a low of 48 while getting ready for my run. After my run, resting HR on the watch was 57. My HR has been well below this at many times since my run, but the watch will not log an updated RHR value.

As someone who does all of his easy runs by heart rate reserve, having an accurate RHR across time is a pretty important part of that. Now I cannot get an accurate RHR value leaving settings at "normal", switching around my sleep times in GC, or by turning off HR during the night.

Honestly, RHR is my only real complaint about this watch. Why can't we get a simple "RHR = lowest observed HR while awake" option?

Comment

+1 for someone who is also curious about how the RHR is calculated. Agree with the comments above that it appears to be an average across some set of time during a single day. Yet, I've always thought ones RHR was determined by the "absolute" lowest HR, ie when you're totally at rest. It would make sense to me, to take the low water mark for the day and have that be the RHR shown. Then take the low RHR for each day and use those across a series of days to calculate a trend, weekly average, etc
      Last edited by justinhhamilton; 02-09-2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Agreed on RHR. My biggest issue with an otherwise great product. Also there has been more heart rate double counting of late.

Comment

My Garmin 235 gives double heart rate in cold weather. My cardiologist indicates I have 200 to 300 milli seconds between P and Q waves on an EKG which appears to confuse the Garmin HR. My old Suunto Ambit did not this issue. Another running buddy gave up and is now using his Polar which does not gove the double heart beat. It is worse in winter before warm-up
          Attached Files

Comment

To the beta team: I have the varia which I use with the 5x. When "doing course" on the watch there are two turn direction pop ups. The first comes a little ahead of the turn and the second usually after the turn was already made. That by itself is a problem as I am sure that the second turn warning should come prior to the turn. However, my main issue is on the Varia I only get one turn warning and unfortunately its the second one in the sequence. So on the Varia I only get one warning and its the one after the turn has already been made so its not very useful. Please address this on your next upgrade and hopefully you can also address when these turn warnings pop up on the watch itself.

Comment

With this beta firmware, the floors climbed stat has stopped. I sometimes have to restart the watch to make it work again. Very annoying.

Comment

On 7.93 I got a problem connection my BSX as SmO2 Monitor, it is recognised with the backupprotocols (Running Sensor and Cadence Sensor).

Comment

The calculation of flights climbed in an activity also seems to be way off. My usual 9-10 mile route with about 500 feet of climbing used to easily get 20+ flights (I can't remember exactly how many). That same route now gets about 5 flights on average.

I'm actually running faster now than before, so going up the hills too slowly for it to count shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Sometimes HR failures see graph.

Comment

If you keep the optical heart rate on while wearing the watch overnight, the RHR will be unusually high (up to 80s) despite subsequent readings in the 40s. This needs to be fixed.

will this be fix by 2018?

Comment

@Dalogan72

I'm not experiencing this. My RHR fluctates a litle bit from day to day like always, depending on type and intensity of training the day(s) before and if I've consumed alcohol. But, it is within the normal range I've seen since way back in firmware v4.10.

Comment

+1 the RHR no longer works. It is recording the first heart rate reading at midnight, despite lower subsequent readings during my sleep and during the day

Comment

RHR still broken in version 8, maybe next year,

Comment

Fenix 5X - Garmin Europe Maps Switched

I do not normally use the Garmin Europe maps (living in Sweden) that came with the watch purchase, so it was a fluke catching this while toggling around in 'X Settings' -> Map -> Configure Maps

I even shut the watch down between the different toggles but got the same results. The Fenix 5X is fully updated - display, sensorhub etc - and does not exhibit any other, with my usage, serious bug.

_State of activation_

Bug in FW 7.60 and 8.00:

gmapprom.img | gmapprom1.img

No Swedish Map
                              TopoActive Europe v4 West X
                              TopoActive Europe v4 East
                              Map of Sweden
                              TopoActive Europe v4 West
                              TopoActive Europe v4 East X
                              Map of Sweden
                              TopoActive Europe v4 East X

Last known correct FW 4.10:

Map of Sweden
                              TopoActive Europe v4 East

Copy of the above sent via e-mail to the beta team.

Comment

I wish I could speak about what's going on between me and Garmin.
                                For the time being, hope the DEVs fix what they can. I'm reading but there's not much else I can do at this stage since I have been 1 month without the watch now (2nd broken baro plus USB connection issues and watch sent back to me still broken).

Keep up with the good work!
                                F5X - SN# 54H007158 - SDM4, GSC10t, Tempe, HRM Swim, HRM Tri
                                Fenix5x Manual

Comment

Working...
                                X