No announcement yet.

Switching from a GPS Map 64 need some help with track visibility

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from a GPS Map 64 need some help with track visibility

When using my GPs 64, I move tracks from Basecamp for a planned hike, as well as tracks for other trails in the area, so I can see upcoming junctions on the map or have alternate routes if needed. On the GPS 64 tracks are loaded then visibility needs to be set to "on" one track at a time.

I'd like to do the same on my Fenix 5X. So far I've only figured out how to have the watch follow a track (which is not something I anticipate often needing to do) not how to make other tracks visible. The menu structure on the Fenix has a steep learning curve for me. Control over this is something that would really be nice to have in the app, but I can dream since this is not the primary design of the Fenix.

What is the (or is there a) menu path to accomplish making tracks visible?

Any other hints from experienced users would be appreciated.

I've not been able to do it either,
    tracks seem to be imported to the watch as more courses, in the courses folder, with the dates the tracks were made as course titles,usually filling up the available storage in th course folder so I have to delete them one by one.
    Would be very handy to import tracks as tracks.:-)
    Fenix 5x:::::::: Fenix 3hr:::::::::Vivoactive hr:::::::::Garmin nuvi:::::::::Garmin Tempe::::

Comment

Yeah, I'm waiting for that two. Ability to SHOW or HIDE colered tracks (or courses...)
      There are already several other requests of that in the forum but so far nothing...
      But I'm afraid that's never gonna happen exactly of SAM201176 said. F5 concept is toward COURSES and not TRACKS. Unless Garmin Garmin creates a tag of a SHOWED course but no active.

Regards,

Comment

If you use this PC/Mac program:

http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

You can create a Map you can load in your 5x, that will display all of your GPS tracks for trails. You can't use them for navigation, but you can see them on the screen. Using this, I have ALL of my trails (250+) loaded into my 5x.

Comment

Garmin, Garmin... :-(
          Epix has this function: https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...n/epix/124891-
          At present in the use: Fenix 5X, Oregon 600T, Rino 530HCX

Comment

Originally posted by tylosaurus View Post
            If you use this PC/Mac program:

http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

You can create a Map you can load in your 5x, that will display all of your GPS tracks for trails. You can't use them for navigation, but you can see them on the screen. Using this, I have ALL of my trails (250+) loaded into my 5x.
            It is a good Idea. I already do this and have a map that covers most of my state's parks. and make garmin maps when I go to most national parks.

Comment

Originally posted by GPS_Maniak View Post
              Garmin, Garmin... :-(
              Epix has this function: https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...n/epix/124891-
              My Fenix 5X was a present. I wonder if I have the wrong watch for what I need?

Comment

Originally posted by marcossaad_ View Post
                Yeah, I'm waiting for that two. Ability to SHOW or HIDE colered tracks (or courses...)
                There are already several other requests of that in the forum but so far nothing...
                But I'm afraid that's never gonna happen exactly of SAM201176 said. F5 concept is toward COURSES and not TRACKS. Unless Garmin Garmin creates a tag of a SHOWED course but no active.

Regards,
                I guess it's time to start installing custom maps, which I typically on do on my phone.

Comment

After reading the helpful comments from everyone and using the watch this weekend, I am starting to get the hang of using the watch. It clearly isn't designed to be a plug and play replacement for my old GPS but it does do what it is needed to do. As a trial leader, it is very nice to have my guidance map on my wrist. I'll be guiding a group at a national park in a few weeks and I think the Fenix will make it easier. There is still a lot to learn.

Comment

Working...
                  X