No announcement yet.

More Alarm woes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Alarm woes

Recently I've been trying to change the time/frequency of my morning alarms but have discovered something terrible. Before, regardless of what you tried to set as an alarm on the watch itself it would be overridden by garmin connect mobile (fine, at least it was consistent). Now, whenever I try to change the alarm time in GC and sync it reverts back to what is saved on the watch already (the old alarm). Whenever I try to then change the alarm time via the watch then sync, it is overridden by what is in GC (the old alarm time since it was overridden by the watch earlier). Basically any time I go into GC and edit the alarm time, get back out to the home screen then go back into the alarm screen it is already changed back to the old alarm time again. So my alarm is now being held hostage and unchangeable unless someone has a decent workaround or I'm missing something.
    Last edited by bglover11; 11-27-2017, 09:07 AM.

Alarms seem to be working properly again on Beta 6.83 - I can set alarms on GC or the watch and they sync both ways. SO hopefully it will be in a production release soon if you're not comfortable with beta software

Comment

I couldn't get alarms to sync at all on the previous beta so I've updated to 6.83 but that's exactly the same. No matter what I change on the watch or in the app, after a sync the watch remains unchanged and the app has the alarms that I'd set in the past when syncing worked. Any change made in the app is lost after a sync and the watch stays set at the settings made on the watch. Any changes made on the watch are not lost by the sync, but those times are not reflected back in the app, which does lose any changes I make. Things seem to be getting worse!

Comment

This is getting rather ridiculous. Like the OP I adapted to the workaround of only setting alarms on CG after missing workouts, and worse yet, missing a flight. Now, regardless of where I set an alarm, watch or GC, one overrides the other. Since I currently have no alarms set, whatever I set or turn on is automatically turned off. Even more diabolical, it seems to only occur on the second sync. So, last night I set an alarm on GC, did a sync, verified that it was still active on the watch, and went to bed. At some point in the night, another sync occurred and the alarm was deactivated. Luckily I woke up around 2AM and was able to set an alarm on my phone.

It almost seems that this completely bizzare process would be much harder to create than a basic, working alarm. At this point I'd rather Garmin just shut off the ability to do anything with alarms in GC, and let us use alarms like a normal old watch.

I had a Fenix 3 and the alarms were absolutely flawless. On the Fenix 5 I don't think they ever worked correctly. I love just about everything on this watch, but not being able to have a basic alarm would be laughable if it wasn't for the fact that a $600 timepiece can't do what a $10 timex can.

And yes, I could use my mobile phone, but I often fly early in the morning so the vibration feature is great for not disturbing my wife at 4AM. I do think I just need to give up on the Fenix alarms... Wirth the automatic software updates its a total crapshoot whether the alarm with behave the same way, or even work, from day to day.

Comment

I, too, am having this issue with the alarm setting behaviour.

Coming from the F3 which I relied on for 2 years as my only alarm this is disappointing and frustrating.

Alarms set on the watch are immediately overridden or deleted. Alarms set on iOS Connect are not saved anywhere now and revert to pre sync settings.

The only way I can set alarms with any reliability is to go to the browser based Garmin Connect website and set alarms in the Fenix 5 Settings panel.

I have sent Garmin Support an email via their support web page describing the issue. I would suggest that all who have this issue also inform Garmin.

Garmin, please fix this very basic feature.
          Last edited by garylovesbeer; 11-29-2017, 03:58 PM.
          Trying to remember the GPS units I have owned: Garmin GPS II, Garmin GPSMap 76, Garmin Etrex Vista, Garmin Etrex Vista HCx, Garmin Etrex 30, Garmin Fenix 2, Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin Forerunner 110,

Currently owned GPS units: Garmin fenix 3 Grey Performer S/N 4630110xx software 3.30 GPS firmware 2.80, Garmin Etrex HCx, Garmin Oregon 650, Garmin nüvi 1450, iPhone 5

Comment

Originally posted by pgray007 View Post

It almost seems that this completely bizzare process would be much harder to create than a basic, working alarm. At this point I'd rather Garmin just shut off the ability to do anything with alarms in GC, and let us use alarms like a normal old watch.

I can`t understand why this has not been the very first step of Garmin to deal with and fix the problem.

Please disable any web related alarm functionality and leave it only on the watch until 2-way sync is fixed !!!!
            Last edited by cmozuelos; 11-29-2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Well, this is a trademark Garmin behaviour, isn't it? The inability to fix a trivial bug has been with this company since ever. Which of the following states are they in now?

1) Denial. There is no bug, you are making stuff up.
              2) It's a feature. If you are so goddamn stupid to think otherwise you should have bought a Polar.
              3) Well, OK, it may be a bug. But every product has bugs. Deal with it.
              4) Well, OK. It is a bug. Let's keep swapping your watches and cables and wrist straps ad nauseam to no avail because this is absolutely tied to your singular unit, we have never heard of this before or from anyone else, ever. We absolutely refuse to read our own forum, too.
              5) Well, yeah, it is a general problem of all the units. Here is an absurd workaround, now STFU.
              6) Eh, ok, ok... we will fix this. Our engineers are on this day and night.
              7) New FW released with a unicorn spotting app, acne management widget and free sparkly stuff. Problem not touched.
              8) Eh, ok, ok... we will really fix this. All our engineers are on this day and night. Top priority, honest. (Have we mentioned that this is the Best Watch? It has the best times, you should see it. Great, wonderful minutes. Beautiful. Many people told us that this is the best watch. We made it. It's great.)
              9) New FW released. Change log says the problem is fixed.
              10) It is not.
              11) Goto 1.

Comment

Originally posted by cpt_pickard View Post
                Well, this is a trademark Garmin behaviour, isn't it? The inability to fix a trivial bug has been with this company since ever. Which of the following states are they in now?

2) It's a feature. If you are so goddamn stupid to think otherwise you should have bought a Polar.
                3) Well, OK, it may be a bug. But every product has bugs. Deal with it.
                4) Well, OK. It is a bug. Let's keep swapping your watches and cables and wrist straps ad nauseam to no avail because this is absolutely tied to your singular unit, we have never heard of this before or from anyone else, ever. We absolutely refuse to read our own forum, too.
                5) Well, yeah, it is a general problem of all the units. Here is an absurd workaround, now STFU.
                6) Eh, ok, ok... we will fix this. Our engineers are on this day and night.
                7) New FW released with a unicorn spotting app, acne management widget and free sparkly stuff. Problem not touched.
                8) Eh, ok, ok... we will really fix this. All our engineers are on this day and night. Top priority, honest. (Have we mentioned that this is the Best Watch? It has the best times, you should see it. Great, wonderful minutes. Beautiful. Many people told us that this is the best watch. We made it. It's great.)
                9) New FW released. Change log says the problem is fixed.
                10) It is not.
                11) Goto 1.
                hahahahah ^^ this is perfect. I think we're somewhere between step 7 and 8 on the matter currently

Comment

11) Goto 1.
                  I think Garmin have been too busy reducing the functionality of the Garmin Connect web site to get onto this bug...
                  Trying to remember the GPS units I have owned: Garmin GPS II, Garmin GPSMap 76, Garmin Etrex Vista, Garmin Etrex Vista HCx, Garmin Etrex 30, Garmin Fenix 2, Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin Forerunner 110,

Currently owned GPS units: Garmin fenix 3 Grey Performer S/N 4630110xx software 3.30 GPS firmware 2.80, Garmin Etrex HCx, Garmin Oregon 650, Garmin nüvi 1450, iPhone 5

Comment

Originally posted by bglover11 View Post
                    Recently I've been trying to change the time/frequency of my morning alarms but have discovered something terrible. Before, regardless of what you tried to set as an alarm on the watch itself it would be overridden by garmin connect mobile (fine, at least it was consistent). Now, whenever I try to change the alarm time in GC and sync it reverts back to what is saved on the watch already (the old alarm). Whenever I try to then change the alarm time via the watch then sync, it is overridden by what is in GC (the old alarm time since it was overridden by the watch earlier). Basically any time I go into GC and edit the alarm time, get back out to the home screen then go back into the alarm screen it is already changed back to the old alarm time again. So my alarm is now being held hostage and unchangeable unless someone has a decent workaround or I'm missing something.
                    How about this as a workaround (although I do not use alarms and have not tried this). Turn off bluetooth. Delete alarm from watch. Delete alarm from GC. Turn on Bluetooth and sync. Hopefully if it is not on either device when you start a sync it will not appear again. Sounds a horrible problem but maybe this helps?

Comment

Well I have not relied on my watch since the day of purchase as the alarm situation is ridiculous. However I have installed beta 7 and it is working as it should. I have set two alarms throughout the day and both worked perfect even after a full sync. I will conduct further testing before relying on it but there is hope!

Comment

Originally posted by Reamesy View Post
                        Well I have not relied on my watch since the day of purchase as the alarm situation is ridiculous. However I have installed beta 7 and it is working as it should. I have set two alarms throughout the day and both worked perfect even after a full sync. I will conduct further testing before relying on it but there is hope!
                        I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry for the marketing slogan this implies:

"With over a decade in wrist-worn devices, and seven major software revisions, Garmin is pleased to announce an entirely new development called 'the functioning alarm clock (all rights reserved)"

Comment

Well Garmin Support got back to me.
                          Conclusion?
                          Hopeless.

Comment

Yeah. I got a "surprised look" as they "never heard of this before". Did I turn off and on the watch, did I reset my phone, have I tried to wipe out my watch and my phone a do a clean install on both, do I want to swap my watch... the same story over and over again. Nobody is doing more for killing the customer base than the G support people.

Comment

Yeah. I got a "surprised look" as they "never heard of this before".
                              Either they are completely clueless or they are lying. There a many open support tickets on this issue and Garmin also acknowledged working on it on another thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X