• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better side (open area):
    1) green - 09.23.2018 - GPS + Glonass - 4.74.0.0
    2) red - 11.19.2018 - GPS + Galileo - 5.57.0.0
    3) blue - 11.18.2018 - GPS - 5.57.0.0

Comment

• I've recently moved to a new neighborhood and this has resulted in me finding a new loop. The GPS accuracy on the loop has been fantastic AND the distance accrual has been to the .01 both times I've run it. GPS performance is obviously highly variable due to environmental conditions and other factors, but I really don't have any reasons to complain.

On my old loop the worst of the GPS performance always happened when I ran under/near some power lines. My headphones, if they were going to cut out, would also skip in this section. I'm guessing the power lines interfered with the GPS and Bluetooth signals in such a way that the watch couldn't compensate. Expecting it to overcome every environmental condition is probably expecting a bit much.

Comment

• Do you think better using only Gps without glonass or gallieo?

Comment

• I've typically used Galileo since day #1 on this watch.

Comment

• What is gallileo

Comment

• Could you tell me the best configuration gps
            Yesterday when out new version 6.00
            I did restart all data in the watch, connect to mobile phone, change option save data every second and select GPS plus galileo, put for 15 minutes run on the window like you see below.
            Anything else I can do ?

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/ac...re_unique_id=2
            Distance 0.02 km | Time 15:52 | Pace 13:53:20 min/km | Elevation 0 m
            Last edited by seilogramp; 12-01-2018, 02:22 AM.

Comment

• Jan502 you have to do nothing, just train.

Comment

• Nothing has changed with version 6.0, still this rubbish GPS firmware 2.30...

Comment

• nmyeti
                  nmyeti commented
                  Editing a comment
                  do you have a GPS firmware update waiting to be installed?

• Hi people !

I don't think I saw that here, did anybody of you tried to export a run in GPX format, then import it as a course and see the distance ? My 5X is doing a good job with the GPS, it's not perfect but quite on par with my Ambit. What was surprising was that it was sometimes shorter on distance, when the GPX traces were looking quite similar. So I exported a few GPX, sent them left and right in various calculator, and all of those are giving a longer distance. Garmin own course tool is giving a longer distance ! So the distance calculation in the watch seems to be not too reliable. At least, it gives less, it's much better during a race ;-)

Comment

• Hi RISBAC, I am interested in your results. There is a few threads about the distance accuracy problem with the 5x plus and the 5/5s plus models. There are other threads about distance accuracy issues across most the Fenix series watches.

If you don't mind, to where are you uploading your tracks to? Can you please post your results to one of the Distance accuracy threads?

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...tance-accuracy

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...rails-be-fixed

Last edited by mariomobiel; 12-05-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RISBAC View Post
                    Hi people !

I don't think I saw that here, did anybody of you tried to export a run in GPX format, then import it as a course and see the distance ? My 5X is doing a good job with the GPS, it's not perfect but quite on par with my Ambit. What was surprising was that it was sometimes shorter on distance, when the GPX traces were looking quite similar. So I exported a few GPX, sent them left and right in various calculator, and all of those are giving a longer distance. Garmin own course tool is giving a longer distance ! So the distance calculation in the watch seems to be not too reliable. At least, it gives less, it's much better during a race ;-)
                    Just tried this by uploading the exported GPX files in Strava, and seeing the same issue. The exported GPX files show longer distances (although still short, but little closer to accurate) than what's displayed in my watch (Garmin Fenix 5 plus). Thanks for the post RISBAC.
                    So, I was looking at your data. I noticed that there were gaps in between your runs. So, here is an article that will help you with recording time. If you want to extend the battery life then continue as normal with your settings. However, if you want a more accurate reading of your runs I suggest that you look at this article to help improve accuracy.
                    Outdoor Wearable GPS Accuracy for Position, Distance and Speed Readings

I changed my setting to enable every second recording, and it is working much better for me now. [Regarding the concern about battery life, after ~one hour thirty minutes long run, battery life went from 98% to 86%, which I think is still really good.]
                    Last edited by MacG; 12-09-2018, 11:05 AM. Reason: updates after reaching out to Garmin Support!

Comment

• The GPS issues for the Fenix 5x Plus are well documented here. I upgraded from the 3 to the 5 thinking the GPS accuracy would be improved, and unfortunately, I have experienced the same issues. Any suggestions for the most accurate Garmin device for running?

Comment

• From the current lineup the Forerunner 935. Not from personal experience, but just reading forum posts and reviews.
                        myConnect | StravaHeatmap
                        F201 | F205 | F305 | 310XT | 920XT | HRM4-Run
                        nüvi 1300 | nüvi 52 | nüvi 67 | Dash Cam 45

Comment

Working...
                        X