Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save TOPO Maps from 5x Plus to Basecamp?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save TOPO Maps from 5x Plus to Basecamp?

Can the maps that come loaded to the 5X Plus be saved to Basecamp to enable creating routs on the PC? I just had mine plugged in, it took FOREVER for the maps to show on the PC after I hit receive from device, as soon as I disconnected it the maps disappeared.

Believe this is possible. You should not have to do receive from device. Just plug it in. It does take forever. I successfully loaded the topos. Currently grinding through the cycling maps. Still have some supplemental maps to go. Probably world base map.

The first time I tried it, I got impatient and unplugged halfway through topos assuming it would pick up where it left off. Not so. Started over. Patience is a virtue.

Of course, I haven't actually closed BaseCamp yet, so we will see :-D

Edited to add: Yes, the maps remain available in subsequent BaseCamp sessions - and without the painfully long preload. But the watch must be plugged in to see and use them.
    Last edited by twolpert; 06-19-2018, 07:57 PM.
    -- Tom
    inReach SE, inReach Explorer, PN-60WSE, Colorado 400t, Nuvi 2555LMT

Comment

It's slow the first time as BaseCamp has to index the maps, after that it'll be relatively quick. If you want the maps available without the device plugged in you need to copy them to a removable drive in a folder named Garmin. Note the drive must be removable, so something like a usb stick, virtual drive etc.
      Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
      Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
      (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

Thanks Guys, I did plug it in again and they were right there so loading was not an issue. On the other hand scrolling, zooming and such is still pretty slow. Are you experiencing the same or is it my PC maybe? The redraw of the maps is still really slow.

I am going to try adding the files to a USB drive to see if this helps, should I copy the whole "Garmin" folder from the device?
        Last edited by DukeofArmchair; 06-20-2018, 08:18 AM. Reason: adding add comments

Comment

You could but there is no need. Just a Garmin folder with the map files.
          Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
          (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

What's the name of the map files and where do I find them on the F5X+ directory structure? Thx

Comment

Originally posted by SUSSAMB View Post
              If you want the maps available without the device plugged in you need to copy them to a removable drive in a folder named Garmin.
              Thanks for this, things are working much better now! It is nice to be able to plan trips without having to have the Fenix attached.

Comment

Originally posted by DukeofArmchair View Post
                Thanks Guys, I did plug it in again and they were right there so loading was not an issue. On the other hand scrolling, zooming and such is still pretty slow. Are you experiencing the same or is it my PC maybe? The redraw of the maps is still really slow.
                Same here ... totally slow. Still fine with the old 5x ... what is the problem and will it be solved?

Comment

Same problem... totally slow, I try to reinstall Basecamp but not working...

Comment

Perhaps you put a copy of the map with a device dummy folder on an usb stick and have a look, if it is faster...
                    In use: fenix 5x, oregon 550t

Comment

Originally posted by johann.fuehrer View Post
                      What's the name of the map files and where do I find them on the F5X+ directory structure? Thx
                      maps are stored in the Garmin folder, if you want to copy them you need to copy 3 files per map .IMG .UNL and .GMA. Map names that are used are gmapprom, gmapsupp or just a bunch of numbers e.g 354327.img 354327.unl and 354327.gma

Currently own: Fenix 5x, Epix, Fenix 3, Oregon 750t, FR 235, Driveluxe 50, Edge 820, Index Scale, Virb Ultra, Tactix Bravo

Sports&Outdoor

Comment

BaseCamp doesn't need the unlock files to read the map, so no need to move the gma and unl files, or at least it hasn't for maps in the past that I've moved.

Comment

Do the files actually have to reside under a folder called /Garmin on the stick or card? It seems every time I read about doing something with a card, there is always a note to ensure the files are located under "Garmin" folder. I know it was mentioned above, but I thought I would re-emphasize that note.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Working...
                            X