Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Ant+ connectivity

Does anybody NOT have problems with third party ANT+ devices and the F5? My experience is as follows:
    - Stryd: not usable; tons of drop-outs on runs. Most importantly long pauses of 30-60s with zero values
    - Powertap P1 pedals: around 10-20 drop-outs on a 50 mile ride; most of these drops are really short
    - Stages: Useless - zero connectivity - tried Bluetooth and ANT+

Wondering if the F5 is just flawed (weak antennas?) or if I got a bad model. Spoke to Garmin support two weeks ago and they asked me to wait for further software updates.

Are there people out there that do not have these kind of problems?

Originally posted by CPAPENFUSS View Post
    Does anybody NOT have problems with third party ANT+ devices and the F5? My experience is as follows:
    - Stryd: not usable; tons of drop-outs on runs. Most importantly long pauses of 30-60s with zero values
    - Powertap P1 pedals: around 10-20 drop-outs on a 50 mile ride; most of these drops are really short

Wondering if the F5 is just flawed (weak antennas?) or if I got a bad model. Spoke to Garmin support two weeks ago and they asked me to wait for further software updates.

I have no problems with my 5S and Power2max.

Comment

Originally posted by CPAPENFUSS View Post

Same troubles with powertap P1, I've returned the 5s s and go with the 935.
      Not tested yet, winter is back in Germany

Comment

minor dropouts with STRYD, however bigger issues with the HRM-Run chest strap. I just get sporadic data for VO, Balance, etc. However no issue with heart rate. Original I was assuming the heart rate data came directly from the OHR, however yesterday I used the watch over a jacket and the heart rate was recorded perfectly...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1686900227

Comment

Connect. #beatyesterday
          https://connect.garmin.com/modern/ac...re_unique_id=4

I have more issue with ant
          ------------------------
          Fenix 5 @ 2.40 from 2017.04.05
          Fenix 5 @ 2.90 from 2017.04.06
          Fenix 5 @ 3.30 (1e77d9a)from 2017.05.13
          Fenix 5 @ 4.10 (9adafd9) from 2017.06.08
          Fenix 5 @ 5.10 (1e54ce7) from 2017.08.10
          Fenix 5 @ 5.30 (b2b1a60) from 2017.08.18
          Fenix 5 @ 5.40 (7d762f8) from 2017.09.04
          Fenix 5 @ 6.00 (d376ccb) from 2017.09.23

GPS 4.30
          WiFi 2.30
          CIQ 2.3.4
          BLE/ANT/SNS 4.10
          WHR 20.03.23
          ETE 4.8.23.2
          THA 1.0.0.4

Comment

Had a chat with the hotline here in Switzerland regarding weak ANT connectivity. Apparently Garmin is aware of ANT problems and they mentioned to wait for a SW update...

Interestingly, the guy on the hotline mentioned, that they are not aware of any GPS and Pace accuracy issues . I told him to check this forum with more than 600 entries in the "GPS accuracy" thread...

Comment

P1s on Bluetooth work

Quick update - did a bike ride with the F5 paired to the Powertap P1s via bluetooth. It worked flawlessly. Zero drops and the data matches that recorded in the Edge 1000 beautifully.

It seems to me that ANT+ connectivity is really weak. I did notice that you can easily create data drops by putting your hand on the watch for a few seconds. I noticed that on a bike ride earlier this week when I wanted to switch the screen.

Comment

as above connect with bluetooth and no issues,

stages with fenix5 numerous times indoor and outdoor no issues, cant comment on ant+ had a couple of issues and then went with bluetooth, it works so dont want to change anything!

Comment

Originally posted by orofab View Post
                  Had a chat with the hotline here in Switzerland regarding weak ANT connectivity. Apparently Garmin is aware of ANT problems and they mentioned to wait for a SW update...

Interestingly, the guy on the hotline mentioned, that they are not aware of any GPS and Pace accuracy issues . I told him to check this forum with more than 600 entries in the "GPS accuracy" thread...
                  There may be over 600 posts, but I'm willing to bet that many less than 50% are actually related to the issue on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by MURR_WALKER View Post
                    as above connect with bluetooth and no issues,

stages with fenix5 numerous times indoor and outdoor no issues, cant comment on ant+ had a couple of issues and then went with bluetooth, it works so dont want to change anything!
                    Sorry for you , my F5 works fine with Sages. I use a Viiiva heart rate sensor, and it connects.

I tried with my Garmin belt and it works also.

Comment

My Wahoo BlueSC speed cadence sensor drops on ANT+ and F5.. The Bluetooth signal doesn't drop once when connecting to a phone. I also noticed that ANT+ signal can very easily be interfered with if when you bring your hand close to the watch. What is going on Garmin?

Comment

My speed/cadence sensor which a Giant ride sense connects but once riding it instantly disconnects. The sensor connects perfectly to my edge 500 which I ride with too so I know it's not the sensor playing up. I bought the Fenix 5 black sapphire on Friday and have done 2 rides with the same results. I've removed the sensor from the watch , changed the battery but it still does the same thing. All my other ant+ sensors connect to the watch perfectly and stay connected. I have the hrm-run strap, a Garmin foot pod , Tempe and all stay connected except for the Giant ride sense. It seems as though the distance from the sensor to my left wrist is too far. Any thoughts?

Comment

When I got my Fenix 5x with software 2.40 I paired my Stages Power meter via Bluetooth which worked quite well. In the meantime I'm on Beta 2.95. The first week on Beta 2.95 the sensor still worked almost flawlessly. However since a few days I had problems to connect with the sensor and I removed the sensor from the watch and tried to pair it again. Now the only option I get is to pair the sensor via ANT+ which leads to unacceptable continuous drop outs. The connection via Bluetooth is not offered anymore. Is there a specific procedure or trick to add sensors via Bluetooth? Maybe Bluetooth pairing is a problem with Beta 2.95. Did anybody add Bluetooth sensors with Beta 2.95? Thanks for your comments.

Comment

Tempe

I've just bought a Garmin Tempe to go with my F5 sapphire and it is disconnected more than it is connected. It seems to be okay when the watch screen is showing the temperature readout but as soon as the watch reverts to the watch face (showing the time) then it loses connectivity to the Tempe. Is this an issue with connectivity, as being discussed in this thread? or is it the way that the Tempe pod works? I haven't used it for an activity yet, could that be another factor?
                            Fenix 5 Sapphire Black
                            Garmin foot pod
                            Garmin Tempe

Comment

Originally posted by RICKJ2903 View Post
                              I've just bought a Garmin Tempe to go with my F5 sapphire and it is disconnected more than it is connected. It seems to be okay when the watch screen is showing the temperature readout but as soon as the watch reverts to the watch face (showing the time) then it loses connectivity to the Tempe. Is this an issue with connectivity, as being discussed in this thread? or is it the way that the Tempe pod works? I haven't used it for an activity yet, could that be another factor?
                              That is working as intended - the Tempe is only queried when it's being actively used. Since the Tempe only sends out data once every minute, it can take some time to show a result in the temperature widget. Once you record an activity, you get temperature data every minute.

Comment

Working...
                              X