GPS Accuracy

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Accuracy

So it begins.

I will have mine Fenix 5 on Saturday and will start doing comparisons to an Ambit 3 Peak. I don't have an F3 to directly compare to as of now.

Anyone have an F3 and F5 to compare?

I will be comparing the Fenix 5 vs the 735xt on Saturday for a 20 mile run, i'll reply back when finished.

Comment

Guys

Please provide feedback on the Alti/Baro as well, since this was one of the main issues with F3HR
      I hope nobody reports crazy altitude readings in a few days

Comment

Originally posted by leefox79 View Post
        I will be comparing the Fenix 5 vs the 735xt on Saturday for a 20 mile run, i'll reply back when finished.
        Please link to your activity as well - thanks
        -----------------
        Teriemer

Biking: Edge 1030 | Vector 3 dual | Assioma Duo | Stages (G3)
        Running: Polar V800 | Stryd
        Daily life: F5S plus

Comment

Now I have my F5 here and could do many GPS comparisions but unfortunately:

THE F5 DOES NOT CONNECT TO garmin mobile android (V3.16 14.03.17) because the F5 is NOT SUPPORTED!!!

When does an update arrive!?!?!?

Comment

The F5 connects to Garmin Connect Mobile 3.16 running on Android fine for me (on a Pixel)?
            Last edited by SUSSAMB; 03-17-2017, 06:27 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote

Comment

Interesting!

I have an old S4 mini (because it is small to take it with me during activities). Running Android 6.01 (Connection with F3HR worked flawless)

My Garmin Connect (3.16) shows me the f5 as available but cannot connect because it is not supported (shown on the next screen, after "start")

Comment

Hi,

I'd like to ask if the F5 is finally equipped with a GPS module, since F3 I used to own lacked a GPS chip and was equipped with a random position generator.

Thanks.

Comment

Gosh I hope you're right as I'm trying again with the 5 (should arrive today). My F3 was a failure (returned in 90 day window) but every other Garmin I owned before or since has been fine. Running a "known" 8 mile route tomorrow and I will start happy if it finishes at the normal finish spot. The F3 never did (for me).

Comment

Here you are:

Please find a short run to compare:

Remark:
                    I run some small rounds in the woods (still without leafs) where the f3 typically freaked out a lot in the past. Very horrible tracks! Now the rounds are not on spot very much from round to round but due to the sharp turns and former comparisions of these "reference circles" to garmin 235, apple watch, 910xt it could be accepted. Not very outstanding but acceptable. Normally, one would not run such circles in real life...

910xt with scosche rhythm+ HF-Belt:
                    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1625454749 (note: the hf-dropouts are typical for me, checked with other hf-belts and due to some cardiac disfunction)

f5 with internal heart rate:
                    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1625452239
                    Distance a little bit shorter the 910xt

Settings: GPS + Glonass, 1sec. recording

Sporttracks calculates a distance of 6,04km.

As a conclusion: I am pleased to see that the hf-recording is nearly spot on (without the spikes typically for me). The GPS accuracy is not highend, but not horrible as my older F3 and F3HR.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. You can use the Auxiliary Heart Rate CIQ DF to have both the optical HR and the Scosche on the F5 https://apps.garmin.com/fr-FR/apps/8...4B8203070B3CE8

I went for a 10k run with both the F5 and the FR235 and while the F5 did decently overall with an overall distance of 11.30km on the F5 vs 11.28km on the FR235 I knew all was not right because the 1k laps didn't all happen at the same time. After taking a close look there's a lot of "wandering" in the F5's track especially when running alongside a building with a river on the other side, the infamous "multipath" impact. This is a bit worrying as I've never seen that happen on my many Garmin watches over the years, 205/610/235/VAHR...

Comment

did I get you right that I can have two HF-tracks both in one Fit-File?

How very cool!! I must try.... Very nice feature, because I always wanted to check the F3H3 much more closely but usually ran with my scosche belt because on the very few occasions without the belt the hf data was very disappointing...

Unfortunately I must taper a bit for my next half marathon on sunday.... no more runs tomorrow...

Comment

Admittet - I'm a bit concerned! Yet again this is the very first real life testing, so it could also be just a single case.

But based on your description of the track, reviewing the tracking F5 did and with knowing there where no leafes on the trees, I'd bet once Spring starts, F5 may have issues as well. I'm sure on coming firmwares will adress this - well they should. But it's a bit concerning the 910XT was significantly better (try to zoom in and compare) given the conditions.

Let's see how others report...
                          -----------------
                          Teriemer

Biking: Edge 1030 | Vector 3 dual | Assioma Duo | Stages (G3)
                          Running: Polar V800 | Stryd
                          Daily life: F5S plus

Comment

Originally posted by ferbpen View Post
                            did I get you right that I can have two HF-tracks both in one Fit-File?

How very cool!! I must try.... Very nice feature, because I always wanted to check the F3H3 much more closely but usually ran with my scosche belt because on the very few occasions without the belt the hf data was very disappointing...

Unfortunately I must taper a bit for my next half marathon on sunday.... no more runs tomorrow...
                            Yes it's very handy! Check out its forum topic as there are a few "tricks".
                            Last edited by WEBVAN; 03-17-2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teriemer View Post
                              Admittet - I'm a bit concerned! Yet again this is the very first real life testing, so it could also be just a single case.
                              You're right. But have a closer look at the 910xt track running into the woods and coming back. Also not on track. But the f5 is not better, agreed.
                              Better than my old f3 in any case. But the f3 is sold, I can't compare anymore...

Comment

Working...
                              X