Heart Rate zones in swimming

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Rate zones in swimming

Hi,

I would like to fill in my heart rate zones in Garmin Connect.
    Can you help me - tell how to do it?
    I know that the zones are different from running and cycling but I don't know to what extend ????
    Is there any calculator that can help me set my swimming lthr from running etc?

Thanks for any help

Always hard to answer questions like this as we are all different. Of course the best way to find your HRmaxswim is for you to undertake a HRmax swim set in the pool following a similar protocol for cycling/running. I did stumble on this piece of research sometime ago suggesting that lowering by ~12bpm compared to a treadmill test might be about right https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1889941

You could try this from SportTracks Since this will give you a pace at LT, there will be a related HR that you can use accordingly.
    Last edited by philipshambrook; 12-19-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Ok, I will try it out

Comment

13% reduction of each of your running heart rate zones is another one I've read and has worked well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Baralien View Post
          13% reduction of each of your running heart rate zones is another one I've read and has worked well for me.
          Wow! 13% is quite high. Where did you read that? I've read swimming is anywhere between 10-17 bpm lower than your running Max HR for the average person. That is if the individual is primarily a runner. Someone like Michael Phelps would be the opposite since swimming is his primary sport, just as Lance Armstrong's cycling Max HR would be his highest.

Comment

I can't now remember where I read it. I've also seen the 10-17bpm adjustment. The article I read said the bpm adjustment is the range of observed difference they had seen and that gave an average difference of 13% across the study.

Comment

Working...
            X