fenix 5 vs fenix 5s vs forerunner 935

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fenix 5 vs fenix 5s vs forerunner 935

looking for which people prefer most.

i had the vivoactive 3 ( got the garmin frozen screen within 1 day of purchase) and i'm currently looking between the fenix 5/5s or the forerunner 935(or maybe even the forerunner 645?). i would most likely want the fenix 5s as it's smaller and i do martial arts so i don't want something too big on my wrist.

I've heard that the fenix 5/5s was having connectivity problems with bluetooth and ant+ and gps problems.
    i would probably only connect it with a polar h10 heart monitor so not so worried about the ant+ but the gps is worrisome. has anyone experience issues with the gps with the current patches?

I've also heard that the forerunner 935 is basically the fenix 5 but in a plastic body, is this true?

any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Do you do multi Sports or want power meter support? If so, that rules out the 645. Do you like a dressier watch? If so that points towards the Fenix. If you want smaller, then that points towards 5S or 645. Basically they are very similar from a software perspective so then it just comes down to the above. Some people say they get worse GPS/ANT+ on the F5s but YMMV.

Comment

I have a Fenix 5S for almost a year now and have not had ANY problems whatsoever with bluetooth or ANT+ or gps problems. However, when I do anything involving punching I DO NOT wear the watch on my wrist. I take it off and put it in my bag or somewhere else and wear my heart rate monitor. After you start an activity on the watch and make sure you've got it connected to the HR monitor, you can take the watch off. The HRM stores the heart rate readings and downloads it to the watch at the end of the workout. I don't like having ANYTHING on my wrist if I'm doing anything like a martial art (Krav Maga, kickboxing) but I still want to capture the HR readings for the workout, so this works for me.

Comment

Michelle,

Just to clarify - the HRM-TRI offers this download later feature. The HRM-RUN does not.

Comment

I also have the Fenix 5S and find it to be very elegant and suitable for everyday use. Although it's the smallest and lightest of the Fenix series, it's not a small watch by any means. The battery life is pretty great as well... using it only as a smartwatch, with all-day HR and activity tracking (no sports activities) I consistently get 15-16 days before needing to recharge. Nothing else comes close in my opinion.

Comment

15-16 days...the battery is good, but not good enough for 15-16 days..will never believe it.
            12-13 at most for me, just using it with all-day HR, for morning alarms, and without pairing it with phone for notifications.

Comment

It's true and it's very consistent. The battery drops by 6% per day. I don't have any alarms set on the watch; as mentioned I have the all-day HR, activity tracking as well as notifications from my phone (iPhone 7) which is connected all the time via bluetooth (I never turn off the bluetooth connection). No sports activities during the 15-16 days and I have the screen backlight timeout set to the minimum! I also use the simplest stock digital watch face which shows only the hour and minutes (not the seconds).

Comment

Ok, maybe I could make it work as well...my screen backlight timeout is at minimum as well, and so is the backligh brightness level, also using stock analogue watch face...the few small differences that mater, I guess, are the fact that I calibrate my altimeter in the same locations nearly every day (not that I am experiencing any issues with it), and I re-check whether or not I have set the correct alarm time several times lol...

Comment

Yeah, I've deleted the weather widget, I don't have any alarms and I don't do any calibration to the altimeter. The watch can do the calibration using the GPS automatically, whenever you start an activity, so it should be fine. In my opinion 3rd party watch faces or widgets aren't very optimized in terms of battery consumption so I try to avoid them at all costs.
                  The only one that I use is GPS Metrics widget, which gives me nice info when I'm traveling in a car or train (or even airplane). I don't need anything else.

Comment

Basically, I think I can use up to 2 % more every day just because I am pressing the buttons a lot, lol.
                    Thanks for the input will see how long I can get the watch to bear with me from 100 to 0 %

Comment

If I am going into a low workout period (say 3-4 hours a week) - then I get 15-16 days as well.
                      That being said - I record every second, turn off bluetooth religiously, have GPS disabled, and have the screen brightness turned down

But to get back to your original question -I like the Fenix 5 - especially when you put the garmin metal band (expensive though)

Comment

I want that band badly, but the price is insane considering the price of the 5S itself...

Comment

Working...
                        X