Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realistic battery life, fenix 5?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I noticed on this thread people have mentioned a battery widget. I tried to add this, but I cannot as it says I need to update my phone. My software says it is a v8.2. How do I force an update so I can add the battery widget? Thanks.

Comment

• Install Garmin Express on a PC, connect the watch to the PC and install the updates using Garmin Express.
      Last edited by AnatoliAngelov; 01-09-2019, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Ah thanks. Assumed it could all be done from the android app.

Comment

• My first Fenix 5 bought around Black Friday from REI went back for a faulty altimeter. Second one I had for a few weeks. Tried every suggestion on the Garmin forum and from Garmin Support. Whether the watch was on or off, connected to bluetooth or not, the watch drained at a steady 1.4-2.0% per hour. Now, my third watch has lasted 5 days. The discharge rate seems to go faster after 50%. The battery widget says it was draining about 1% per hour for the past 24 hours. Nowhere close the the 14 days, but I guess if I can go 5 days I can live with it. I'm not sure how many times I can return watches to REI, but if this one doesn't pan out it's going back to Garmin

Comment

• Originally posted by leem4c View Post

Disabling GPS also didn't work for me, so I'm interested to hear this could be a problem with v12? Anybody have these problems prior to v12?
            As fas as I know, the battery drain problem appear with the update to v11, neither on further upgrades got fixed, and even if you perform downgrades the problem do not get fixed.

Comment

• Originally posted by BLAU View Post

As fas as I know, the battery drain problem appear with the update to v11, neither on further upgrades got fixed, and even if you perform downgrades the problem do not get fixed.
              If I remember correctly I also had the problem after installing V11. I can note remeber the watch to behave like this before 10.00, but I am not sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnatoliAngelov View Post
                Install Garmin Express on a PC, connect the watch to the PC and install the updates using Garmin Express.
                So I installed Garmin Express. That says my software is version 12, and in the watch menu it says version 8.20.00. Either way when I try to install the battery widget it says I need to update my device... Stumped!
                ???

Comment

• Garmin Express uploads the update file on the watch and after that, it shows the new version.
                  After disconnecting from PC the watch should show on the screen that there is an update and waits for confirmation by you to install it.
                  Did you notice what was shown on the screen immediately after disconnecting from the PC?

Comment

• Doh. Sorted now. Even though in GE it says the watch is a version 12, it does not actually install it to the watch until you disconnect from GE. Here is hoping that v12 does not goose my battery.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Experiences of a new replacement watch. It is a 54H. Arrived in the box 54% charged. Immediately updated to software v12.

On receiving, I charged it to 100% using a battery pack that stops charging once the watch seems to be full. The watch started using battery at 0.7% per hour in watch mode.

When the watch was down to 90% I charged it via the mains and left it on charge on past 100%. Now the watch is using battery at 0.2% per hour in watch mode.

So promising signs.

Comment

• Originally posted by sirgab01 View Post

If I remember correctly I also had the problem after installing V11. I can note remeber the watch to behave like this before 10.00, but I am not sure.
                        At least mine happened the same, in v10 behave according to what garmin states about the battery duration, without any trouble, even in gps mode, very realible. Not like now since updated to v11 and later.

Mine is 53* and I am waiting for replacement.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheFew View Post
                          Experiences of a new replacement watch. It is a 54H. Arrived in the box 54% charged. Immediately updated to software v12.

On receiving, I charged it to 100% using a battery pack that stops charging once the watch seems to be full. The watch started using battery at 0.7% per hour in watch mode.

When the watch was down to 90% I charged it via the mains and left it on charge on past 100%. Now the watch is using battery at 0.2% per hour in watch mode.

So promising signs.
                          So the new watch arrived to you turned off, and when you turned it on it was on 54% battery.... (mine came turned off, could not turn it on, it was dishcarged).....
                          How much time they needed to replace your watch?
                          I think I will give a try and wait until V13 rolls out.....

Comment

• I think v13 will not be rolled out until they find out where the battery drain mistake is and get it resolved.

Comment

• Originally posted by BLAU View Post
                              I think v13 will not be rolled out until they find out where the battery drain mistake is and get it resolved.
                              I'm not sure they know the problem, or will they take it into account in the next upgrade.
                              If the knew it, and plan to fix it, why they change the watches....?
                              Last edited by sirgab01; 01-11-2019, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sirgab01 View Post

So the new watch arrived to you turned off, and when you turned it on it was on 54% battery.... (mine came turned off, could not turn it on, it was dishcarged).....
                                How much time they needed to replace your watch?
                                I think I will give a try and wait until V13 rolls out.....
                                Yes new watch arrived turned off and when I powered it up it said 54%.

Re the return, the watch was replaced for a non battery issue. UPS collected it on a Friday, delivered it to Garmin on the Monday, and Garmin dispatched my replacement on the same day. I recieved it on the Wednesday.

So a pretty decent service. Can't complain.

Watch has been on 15 hours now and has used less that 3% battery.

Comment

Working...
                                X