Recovery time suggestions - confusing

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery time suggestions - confusing

Hi,

I've only had my Fenix 5 plus a few days now, I'm still getting used to all of the features and something has slightly confused me.

After a workout, at some point between stopping and saving my workout, two screens appeared.

--

1: Recovery heart rate (with a number in the brackets)

2: Rest for 6 hours - train as usual

--

Firstly, how do I get back to view this information? I can't seem to replicate them screens.

Secondly, what does 1 mean? Is 1 telling me what the ideal recovery heart rate for me is? If so, what is the bracketed number?

And last of all - screen number 2. What exactly does this mean? It seems like it is telling me to both rest for 6 hours and train as usual at the same time. Please can someone elaborate on how to interpret this information?

Kind regards,

Ash

1 is a feature that allows you to monitor your heartrate after an activity is completed but before you save the activity. It is showing you what your current heart rate is at that moment, presumably so that you can continue your cooldown if you wanted to. 2 is telling you how much time you should wait before doing another heavy exercise. The harder the activity, the longer the recovery time will be. Also when the recovery time gets longer it will have a different color ring around the outside(Green, yellow, red) and will tell you to rest more. Only 6 hours of recovery means that the workout was light and you should not need any additional rest, i.e. "Train as usual"

Comment

For 2), from the manual, "
      1. NOTE: From the watch face, you can select UP or DOWN to view the performance widget, and select UP to scroll through the performance measurements to view your recovery time.
      "

Comment

RHR is an important health factor that gives you insight on the rate your heart returns to normal. Typically, your heart rate should recover 20 beats per minute. Less that 10? is considered bad.

I can't recall the screen myself (new owner) but on my 310xt it gave me the difference between exercise BPM and BPM 2 minutes later. So as long as that number was 40ish I deemed that I had good cardiac health and proceeded to drink lots of beer in the evening.

Comment

Many thanks for the replies - very helpful.

Is the watch smart enough to include exercise that I haven't recorded as an activity in these readings? I've so far been using the watch in "other" mode to record weight sessions at the gym - but I am thinking of stopping this as it doesn't provide much use outside of providing a timer.

Cheers!

Comment

if you are not recording an activtiy, the watch acts as a fitness tracker, i.e. any exercise you do might be recognized by MoveIQ, your intensity minutes will change if you have an elevated HR for long enough and your calory burn will change based on the HR. However, the training metrics such as load, recovery time will only be calculated on if you are in an activity (does not mean that you need to store the activity- metrics are also updated if you discard afaik)
            The Fenix does also have a quite nice strength training app for weight lifiting which does rep counting and so so, so you might find that useful.

Comment

Thank you!

Do you know if there is anyway to exclude my "other" workouts from automatically syncing with Strava?

I would like to keep recording my weight sessions without having these automatically added - these are just for my records.

Regards,

Originally posted by Fjewl View Post
              if you are not recording an activtiy, the watch acts as a fitness tracker, i.e. any exercise you do might be recognized by MoveIQ, your intensity minutes will change if you have an elevated HR for long enough and your calory burn will change based on the HR. However, the training metrics such as load, recovery time will only be calculated on if you are in an activity (does not mean that you need to store the activity- metrics are also updated if you discard afaik)
              The Fenix does also have a quite nice strength training app for weight lifiting which does rep counting and so so, so you might find that useful.

Comment

Everything gets sent to Strava if you have the accounts linked. I found this frustrating because I didn't want it all there. As far as I can tell you have two things you can do:

1: turn on "Private by default" for your Strava activities, this will mean that they are on Strava, and you actively have to set those activities you want public to public

2: turn off the Strava integration, and use an app like RunGap on iOS to selectively sync activities between Garmin Connect and Strava.

I do both these things leaving GC as my private silo of activity, and then using RunGap to selectively share those things I want others to see.

Comment

Working...
                X