Gramin OpenStreet Maps

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gramin OpenStreet Maps

Looking for a little help....

I do a lot of casual cycling to help keep me fit and never really use the maps much. I just get on the bike and go.
    I was wondering if adding a map of my area might help find new routes.

I have been on the Garmin Open Street Map website and created a couple of Maps using "Select Tiles" - just want to try it out in my area for now.
    So I selected Generic Routable New Style, skipped the TYP file as I don't know what it is, selected the tiles for my area and then created the Map.

I have an email that says: Your request for a Garmin map on garmin.openstreetmap.nl is ready.

The server has generated four different configurations of your map:
    * _windows.exe = Installer for Garmin BaseCamp/MapSource (Windows).
    * _macosx.zip = Installer for Garmin BaseCamp/RoadTrip (Mac OSX)
    * _gmapsupp.zip = Combined image for direct manual placement on the GPS device (gmapsupp.img)
    * _tiles.zip = A zip file containing the tiles in the request, especially useful for Linux users (e.g. QLandkarte)

Can anyone advise what my next steps are please?

Thanks

Don't you already have maps on your device?

Comment

Yes, but I was led to believe that the Garmin Open Street Map were better? Guessing its not the case?

Comment

move the file gmapsupp.img to the Garmin folder on the watch and it's ready.

Comment

Easy as that?? Will this overwrite anything I have, should I do a back up on anything first?
          Last edited by SUSSAMB; 09-14-2018, 09:01 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. It's unnecessary and simply clutters up the thread. Thanks

Comment

Won't overwrite anything unless you have another map with the same file name
            Currently own Drive 50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20, and use Basecamp, OSM mapping
            Previously owned Etrex Legend H, Mio Navman and used Mapsource
            (please note that I am not employed by Garmin, but am a long term user of Garmin software and hardware)

Comment

And rename it anyway.....easier to find and delete later.....
              You could download the transparent contours file to....and use it with other maps....
              Last edited by Sam201176; 09-14-2018, 10:02 AM. Reason: Extra info...
              Fenix 5x:::::::: Fenix 3hr:::::::::Vivoactive hr:::::::::Garmin nuvi:::::::::Garmin Tempe::::

Comment

Working...
              X