Announcement

Collapse

Forum Upgrade

We’re excited to announce that the Garmin Forums will soon be moving to a new platform that should greatly improve our forum experience for everyone. We will update everyone as more information becomes available.
See more
See less

Garmin Explore

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regards the statement in Fenix 5 Plus manual - nice catch. I suppose that maybe Garmin was willing to announce Explore together with Fenix 5 Plus line annoucement, but the app/service was not ready for the prime time, but the reference in manual remained (probably by omission).

Anyway - this is very positive info and apparently all we need to do is to wait.

Comment

I was browsing Garmin apps on Google Play today and I spotted Garmin Earthmate. This seems to be app they obtained as as part of DeLorme aqusition. Screenshots from the app are quite similar to screenshots from Garmin Explore app visible on Garmin pages. So my (another) guess is that Explore app will be actually Earthmate rebranded app, and (hopefully!) expanded to support more Garmin devices (including Fenix line). Fingers crossed!
      Download the Earthmate® app to get all the features you need to plan a trip, navigate and share your outdoor adventures. It’s perfect for any outdoor enthusiast to use with their paired inReach® device. This Garmin application lets you access*: • Unlimited topographic maps that you can cache on your device and store for offline use, including topographic maps, quad sheets and U.S. NOAA charts • Aerial imagery • Hybrid maps • Waypoints and route navigation • Tracking and location sharing • High-detail GPS trip logging • Unlimited cloud storage of routes, waypoints and tracks • Online trip planning • Control and access all the features of your inReach device from the app: send 2-way text messages, trigger an SOS from anywhere in the world, track your location and more The complete Earthmate Outdoor Edition is included with the purchase of an inReach device. Learn more about inReach at www.garmin.com/inreach. *Access varies by model.

Comment

Another good sign that Garmin Explore is coming and hopefully will support F5+ : Garmin just announced Instinct series of watches and in the manual there is reference to Garmin Explore as well:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...B9147A1DD.html

It would be strange to have Garmin Explore supporting Instict watches, and not supporting Fenix 5+. Hope the wait is over soon :-)

Comment

OK, that was quick. The app is available to download (at least for Android), but after installing and logging in (with GC account) I'm getting page that only takes me to Garmin Connect or logs me out. What is more - on Garmin Explore page listing compatible devices - only Instinct watches were added:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...7z9&tab=topics

So far - bummer. Hopes this is temporary.

For adventure seekers, explorers and outdoor enthusiasts, the Garmin Explore ecosystem offers a complete mobile trip planning solution that — when paired with compatible Garmin devices — lets you map and organize your trek from anywhere with unlimited cloud storage. Garmin Explore works as a standalone mobile app for basic trip planning or viewing of maps you've preloaded on your device. Or you can use the mobile app to pair your smart device via Bluetooth®1 with a compatible Garmin GPS device2, so you can do and see even more. Access Online Connectivity Garmin Explore provides free online access to a wide range of additional capabilities. For example, you can download detailed topographic maps, color aerial imagery and other navigation aids directly to your app. The maps and navigation data loaded onto your app can be used anywhere, anytime — even when you're out beyond the reach of cellphone towers or internet connections. The Garmin Explore app will send and store your waypoints, planned routes, GPS tracks and Garmin activities you've recorded in the cloud, allowing you to access and use that data on the Garmin Explore web site to plan or review your adventures. You can also sync your cloud-stored data with a compatible Garmin device. A Garmin account is needed to store your data in the cloud. Your activities (e.g., runs, walks, hikes, etc.) include data such as distance, pace, activity time, location, etc. that were recorded by your device. What You Get with Garmin Explore: • Unlimited map downloads; access topographic maps, USGS quad sheets and more • Aerial imagery • Waypoints and route planning • Unlimited cloud storage of routes, waypoints, tracks, and activities • Online trip planning 1 explore.garmin.com/bluetoothrequirements 2 explore.garmin.com/appcompatibility

Comment

There is now a separate forum area for Garmin explore. Not much there yet and I can't find the iOS app on the app store yet.

Comment

I guess lack of IOS app is due to Apple complex approval process to have anything posted on their app store. Anyway - good to see that Garmin Explore forum is part of "On the trail" section, which is another sign that maybe eventually all the devices falling into this category will get Garmin Explore support.

Comment

There is video on YT showing web-app and mobile app capabilities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYcS3NwpN7E

On video support for Fenix 5 and 5+ is shown. Video is in dutch, but one can turn on automatic subtitles + translation to english/own language.

While the mobile app UI looks quite modern, the web-app UI feels little bit dated...

Comment

iOS app is available but it only mentions the Instinct and the GPSMAP66 as supported devices. If the 5+ devices are supported, I'd expect a firmware to drop some time soon.

Comment

It no longer lists the Fenix 5 on the explore website

Comment

Originally posted by crutlefish View Post
                      iOS app is available but it only mentions the Instinct and the GPSMAP66 as supported devices. If the 5+ devices are supported, I'd expect a firmware to drop some time soon.
                      The 5.52 Beta is out, but there is no mention of Garmin Explore in release notes. Anyway, the pre-5.10 betas were not mentioning Spotify support, it came as surprise. Fingers crossed.

Comment

The YT video on Garmin Explore is back:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTMb_-7qyA
                        It shows the Fenix watch being paired.

Comment

Originally posted by bgrenda View Post
                          It shows the Fenix watch being paired.
                          Yes, but only after Garmin Explore was "activated" using an inReach device.
                          I can make my fenix 5 Plus think it's a D2 Delta…

Comment

Originally posted by mbirth View Post

Yes, but only after Garmin Explore was "activated" using an inReach device.
                            Hope this is only the way this movie was cut, and owning inReach devices will not be obligatory. At least it is not if you own Instinct device - I asked Instinct folks for feedback on Garmin Explore on their part of forum, it seems it works (but definitely it needs improvements).

Comment

Originally posted by bgrenda View Post
                              I asked Instinct folks for feedback on Garmin Explore on their part of forum, it seems it works (but definitely it needs improvements).
                              If you can get a Unit ID from an Instinct, you can change the last digits and create a Fake-Instinct on a SD-Card, add that to your Garmin Connect account and you should be able to activate Explore. However, I didn't try that yet.
                              I can make my fenix 5 Plus think it's a D2 Delta…

Comment

I downloaded the Explore App (for Android) in the version 1.0 a few weeks ago and I activated and connected it with the fenix 5X Plus without any problems (and without having another device like Inreach, Instinct or GPSmap 66). And it worked fine: Synchronisation app to fenix and the other way around no problems at all!
                                BUT yesterday I updated the Explore App to version 1.1 AND the "good times" seem to be over: the fenix 5X plus disappeared and the device is now to be found in the list of "unsupported devices".
                                I don't understand WHY GARMIN removed this new (ok, not that new anymore) and acutal watch which is supposed to be the High Standard Device of the whole wearable portfolio ... Hopefully it was a programmer's fault and the watch will be back in Explore again! BECAUSE the app and the fenix are working together perfectly like I experienced in the last few weeks while unsing the 1.0-version...

Comment

Working...
                                X