Announcement

Collapse

Forum Upgrade

We’re excited to announce that the Garmin Forums will soon be moving to a new platform that should greatly improve our forum experience for everyone. We will update everyone as more information becomes available.
See more
See less

Garmin Explore

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Explore

In following the official Garmin channel on YouTube, these 2 videos have just popped up in my subscription feed. The app is shown working with the Fenix 5 Plus series too, but I can’t find the app in the Apple App Store yet though. Exciting stuff non the less.

https://youtu.be/6BznYk-5UtY
    https://youtu.be/nCXSaYlR4mI

Edit: links don’t work now, see later posts.
    Last edited by Crispin_Ellisdon; 09-06-2018, 01:15 PM.

Good find! I couldn't find it either.
    Currently own:

Suunto 9
    HRM-Run; Scosche Rhythm+
    Stryd

Pre-ordered:
    Garmin MARQ Expedition

Comment

Here is a Garmin page for that:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/614327#overview

On polish version of it (I'm from Poland) it says that app availability is Q4'2018 - so we might have to wait till October.
      The strange part is that if you click Compatible Devices you see only two newly announced GSMAP 66 devices. But on the videos listed on first post by Crispin - it is pretty clearly shown that it supports wide range of devices, including Fenix series watches. So hope this is only Garmin mistake on web page.

I was waiting for this capability of mobile app for ages, and it was really frustrating that it was not there in Garmin Connect (given the Fenix line capabilities). Now it seems that instead adding this to Garmin Connect, they decided to build entire new app for that.

I'm very excited and eager to try it, especially that it supports OSM. I'm only concerned if Garmin will not try to monetize it and will not introduce some kind of payed subscription to use the app (or specific maps, etc).

Comment

According to Garmin's site it will be available Q4 this year:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/614327

Comment

Originally posted by bgrenda View Post
          On polish version of it (I'm from Poland) it says that app availability is Q4'2018 - so we might have to wait till October.
          The strange part is that if you click Compatible Devices you see only two newly announced GSMAP 66 devices. But on the videos listed on first post by Crispin - it is pretty clearly shown that it supports wide range of devices, including Fenix series watches. So hope this is only Garmin mistake on web page.
          I got the info about Garmin Explore from the mail annoucing the new GPSMAP 66s/st devices (also in Poland)... now the Youtube videos linked by Crispin_Ellisdon don't seem to work for me they seem to be deleted, anyone else has this problem?

I also hope that this software will work with Fenix 5+ watch, as this is the capability that was definitely missing from GC.
          Last edited by Artivis; 09-06-2018, 01:09 PM.
          I run for fun with Fenix 5+ Titanium DLC
          Hard reset, firmware reinstall, data location and backup

Comment

Yup, the videos have gone from the list of videos on the Garmin channel. I guess Garmin may have decided to withdraw them for re-release when the app is actually available. For the moment all we have is the overview here https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/614327
            Last edited by Crispin_Ellisdon; 09-06-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

yeah, and unfortunately it only lists GPSMAP 66s/st as compatible devices ;(
              I run for fun with Fenix 5+ Titanium DLC
              Hard reset, firmware reinstall, data location and backup

Comment

But the video showed when she connected an fenix 5s plus. So I guess that we now know what that 2.0 protocol they added a couple of betas ago was for.

Comment

Mathias - can you point to this "2.0 protocol" you are mentioning?

Comment

Ok, it wasn't for PLUS, but the regular fenix 5/s, but the codebase is the same so it is most likely already there.

10.53 Change Log Notes:
                    • Changes for Multilink 2.0 support.
                    Last edited by Mathias.Bjorklund; 09-07-2018, 03:10 AM. Reason: Added info about which type of firmware

Comment

Seems that Explore website is up:

https://explore.garmin.com/Account/GarminUser

Althought - bad news is that only InReach devices are listed as compatible. Hope this is not truth and that removed YT videos were right.

Comment

I wonder if the plan is to replace Basecamp with Garmin explore.....

Comment

My thinking is that existing Explore (as web application/service) was done for InReach customers. But of course as Basecamp (which is currently desktop app) application web equivalent is long overdue (and Courses included in Garmin Connect cannot be seen as such at all) - maybe this is what we will (eventually) get. So the apparently already existing Explore web app will get open for other mapping/tourist devices (hopefully Fenix line included) and will receive mobile app as well. As owner of Fenix 5+ watch and Garmin Edge 1000 - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for it.

(One may say that you can plan your trail on Egde - itself. Well - theoretically yes, in practice this is nightmare).

Comment

In the fenix 5plus series manual is the explore/ app mentioned as compatible.
                            In use: fenix 5x, oregon 550t

Comment

Well, it is mentioned in the "Connected Features" section located on page 7 in the manual for the fenix 5+. So hopefully this will get added soon as Garmin Explore continues to develop and grow.

Comment

Working...
                              X