No announcement yet.

Disappointing battery life

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SAHO View Post
    Forerunner (and a few others!) First: I'm not defending Garmin regarding bugs and errors not being fixed, there is a lot of things they could improve, especially their responsiveness when certain bugs that affects a lot of users are identified.

That said; based on my observations in here lately I think that you are taking this personal vendetta of yours towards Garmin a bit too far, and frankly I think it pollutes the forums for everyone that wants to discuss and exchange user experiences and contribute with constructive feedback to Garmin in a civilized way. Even official Garmin representatives have reached out to you with seemingly genuine interest of trying to understand what you are experiencing and how they can possibly help you. But no, you just keep on ranting.

Please do yourself, and everyone else, a favour and go buy yourself a Polar or Suunto or Finow or any other apparently perfect watch that is available out there.
    Well said....

I come to these forums to inform myself and take part in a positive and meaninful discussion.

Comment

Forerunner (and a few others!) First: I'm not defending Garmin regarding bugs and errors not being fixed, there is a lot of things they could improve, especially their responsiveness when certain bugs that affects a lot of users are identified.

That said; based on my observations in here lately I think that you are taking this personal vendetta of yours towards Garmin a bit too far, and frankly I think it pollutes the forums for everyone that wants to discuss and exchange user experiences and contribute with constructive feedback to Garmin in a civilized way. Even official Garmin representatives have reached out to you with seemingly genuine interest of trying to understand what you are experiencing and how they can possibly help you. But no, you just keep on ranting.

Please do yourself, and everyone else, a favour and go buy yourself a Polar or Suunto or Finow or any other apparently perfect watch that is available out there.
      Having read this I had to go back through this thread to see what had sparked such a response, TBH all I see is people naturally reacting in frustration due to having an incorrectly functioning product with no idea if/when it will ever be resolved.

From my point of view Garmin probably are trying to fix the issue(s) but past performance with other products does not inspire confidence. I have owned Garmin products dating right back to the early eTrex all the way up to the the latest Oregon 750t, Index scale, Edge 810, F5+, various ANT+ sensors. Many of these products and their previous iterations have quite major unresolved issues and that often Garmin never resolve and just move on to the next iteration (with a new set of issues). It does not help Garmins case when people contact support regarding a known issue only to be told they have never heard of it before.

The problem is that Garmin are currently in a niche and have good eco-system that currently has no competition that could fully replicate what they have, so certainly from my point of view there is nowhere else to go to.

So although I am a returning customer and Garmin get my money it does not necessarily mean I am a happy customer.
      Garmin devices: Edge 810, Oregon 750t, Fenix 5 plus, Index Smart Scales, GSC-10, Tempe, Premium HR, Basic HR

Retired: eTrex Vista, eTrex Vista C, eTrex Vista HCx Oregon 550t, Oregon 650t, Edge 500, Fenix 5

Comment

• BAZ8755 I’m not denying there is an issue. I’m not saying Garmin isn’t required to improve their responsiveness when issues are identified, and last but not least: I’m not saying that people shouldn’t be allowed to be frustrated.

What I’m saying is simply that when discussions more and more often seems to turn into irrational rants and conspiracy theories, that doesn’t add value to the discussions nor contributes to solve the issue(s) at all.

Comment

BAZ8755 I’m not denying there is an issue. I’m not saying Garmin isn’t required to improve their responsiveness when issues are identified, and last but not least: I’m not saying that people shouldn’t be allowed to be frustrated.

What I’m saying is simply that when discussions more and more often seems to turn into irrational rants and conspiracy theories, that doesn’t add value to the discussions nor contributes to solve the issue(s) at all.
          I agree. All I am looking for in this forum is information about how Garmin products work and how identified problems can be fixed.
          Garmin Devices: Fenix 5S Plus Sapphire, Footpod
          Retired: Fenix 5S

Comment

• Okay. New (replacement) 5+ arrived just over 2 weeks ago. Not using GPS, maps, music, pay etc. On full charge, recorded about 10 half hour activities during the first week (indoor rowing). Just over 10% battery loss per day. No activities during the second week and I'm just under 10% battery usage per day. After recharging to 100% in a couple of days it should be "settled in" and I'll start to build up my usage. If this continues then the 5+ is nowhere near as robust wrt battery life as the 5. Really disappointed so far but I'll leave a confident conclusion for another 2 weeks.

Still not happy about how long they took to send a replacement .

Comment

• So below are my findings after installing firmware 5.53 beta. The good news is the high battery drain issue after GPS seems to be much less. My watch lasted for an incredible 11 days through 6 GPS activities. The only high battery drain issue I noticed was on 10/26 where I ran for 30 minutes and the battery life went from 41% to 38% in a 3 hour span (battery life per hour is .347% or roughly 1% to 1.1%). I do still see inconsistent battery reading after charging to 100% and restarting the watch; please fix that! In addition, one run on 10/21 produced bad data reading (wrong pace, heart rate) and one run on 10/26 produced inaccurate heart rate (low heart rate). All in all, I think Garmin has addressed this high battery drain after GPS activity issue - so thank you for listening to your customers!

Note to other users - if you leave your mobile Garmin app open, I noticed the Bluetooth icon (BT) on the watch is still active and this seems to cause huge battery drainage for me. I have created a shortcut to turn on and off Bluetooth and it is only enabled when I turn it on for a few minutes a day. Of course this may not be an option to other users who wants notifications on their watch.

Estimated battery life in percentage: 12 days smart watch or 8.333%/day or 0.347%/hour
              18 hours gps or 5.56%/hour

Install firmware 5.53 beta

Settings: Crystal face watch (no seconds, no heartbeat, Bluetooth (BT) icon); GPS/Gaelilo; 1 sec heart/GPS rate tracking; no notifications or smart watch features; BT off and only turn on once a day to upload data; enable/disable BT shortcut

Charge 1
              • 10/18 - update firmware to 5.53 beta around 8pm; begin charging @ 9:26pm @ 32%; 100% @ 11:11pm; after restart BL shows 90% (still a bug);
              • 10/19 - 90% @ 6:58am; 90% @ 9:29am; 90% @ 11:51am; run for 15min and BL stayed at 90% @ 1:04pm; accidentally restart and BL shows 94% (what the heck); upload data and turn off BT; 94% @ 3:04pm; 92% @ 8:43pm; 92% @ 11:45pm;
              • 10/20 - 91% @ 1:59am; 90% @ 8:16am; 90% @ 11:02am; restart and BL shows 90%; 89% @ 2:39pm; 89% @ 4:28pm; 88% @ 7:18pm; 88% @ 10:58pm;
              • 10/21 - 86% @ 7:21am; 86% @ 8:53am; run for 42mins and BL went from 86% to 80% @ 10:24am; 78% @ 2:01pm; 77% @ 5:05pm; upload data and turn off BT @ 76% @ 11:36pm (corrupted reading with invalid heart rate and pace, unable to load to Strava without fix);
              • 10/22 - 75% @ 6:58am; 74% @ 9:18am; 73% @ 12:15pm; 72% @ 5:31pm; 71% @ 7:37pm; upload data and turn off BT @ 10:50pm @ 70%;
              • 10/23 - 68% @ 5:22am; 64% @ run for 38min and upload data and turn off BT @ 6:31am; 61% @ 9:14am; 61% @ 11:55am; 60% @ 2:36pm; 60% @ 5:04pm; 59% @ 8:38pm; 59% @ 11:40pm;
              • 10/24 - 57% @ 7:111am; 57% @ 9:04am; 53% run for 45min and upload data and turn off BT @ 12:45pm; 52% @ 3:07pm; restart and BL shows 52% @ 3:20ish; 51% @ 7:41pm; 50% @ 10:17pm;
              • 10/25 - 49% @ 6:01am; 48% 13 min strength workout @ 6:33am; left watch at home; 45% @ 6:52pm; 45% @ 10:04pm;
              • 10/26 - 43% @ 5:50am; 41% @ run for 30mins 6:32am (bad heart rate readings); upload and turn off BT @ 6:38am; 38% @ 9:28am; 36% @ 1:04pm; 35% @ 3:01pm; 33% @ 5:40pm; 33% @ 7:12pm; 31% @ 11:41pm;
              • 10/27 - 29% @ 8:05am; 28% @ 10:40am; 28% @ 12:55pm; 27% @ 6:11pm; 26% @ 9:28pm;
              • 10/28 - 24% @ 7:20am; 21% run for 42mins @ 8:52am; 21% upload data and turn off BT; 18% @ 11:17am; 18% @ 4:18am; 16% @ 7:05pm; 16% @ 9:30pm;
              • 10/29 - 15% @ 6:37am; 15% @ 9:06am; 14% @ 12:09pm; 14% @ 7:51pm;
              Last edited by charlymedia; 10-29-2018, 05:56 PM. Reason: Updated battery level reading

Comment

• So I picked up my 5plus on Saturday. I was waiting for the Black Friday Deals, but in the UK the suppliers are limited to basically one that I would trust, and I don't think there would be much of a discount anyway.

My first issue was that the battery was completely dead. No charge. I plugged it into a power bank for 40min and nothing other than the garmin triangle, followed by a charge indicator and then go off. Ended up plugging into a computer and this seemed to kick it in to life quickly and it was reading 0% charge. I then plugged it back into the standalone charger and it charged all the way up to 94% and then jumped to 100% within a minute or two.

I did what others have said and rebooted, and it showed 94%. So plugged into charge again, and did this on repeat until on reboot it said 97%.

I then plugged in one last time to get it up to 100% (within probably 30s).

Did the Garmin Express stuff to upgrade the firmware.

In watch mode (disconnected from my phone and wifi) with no activities, it has reached 48hrs so far using a fraction over 15%. So I would say 7.6% per day. I've connected to my phone just a few times.

So I think that is only "ok". Appreciating battery drain will not be linear that is roughly 13days without smart watch mode (it should be 12 with smartwatch mode)

This being the first charge, I don't know if I should expect more, nor how much smartwatch mode will consume extra (I guess that depends on number of things being synced)

I will run this through with this usage, before I do a full GPS drain to see that performance.

I'm not too worried about smart watch performance, I hate my phone and I hate people messaging and phoning me...so I really don't want it connected anyway :-)

Comment

• I suppose that for 18h recording time, you have to use only gps, without hr, without loaded maps. These are the minimum settings for participating on ultra races up to 15-18h. If you see that the battery will not last, you have to change the settings into UltraTrac.
                  Fenix 5 Plus Titanium

Previous: Fenix 3, Etrex 20

Comment

• Originally posted by laurencenoton View Post
                    I did what others have said and rebooted, and it showed 94%. So plugged into charge again, and did this on repeat until on reboot it said 97%.

I then plugged in one last time to get it up to 100% (within probably 30s).
                    I experienced a similar issue. Synced the 5 plus to my computer and it also charged to 100% before I went to bed. Woke up and later in the morning, calibrated the altimeter with a little GPS usage, then I checked the watch to see that it still read 100%. Seemed strange since it was now 9 hours since that charge. Rebooted the watch and now it reads 96% which sounds right.

Comment

• Are these battery woes likely to be an issue with software? I am about to go from the F5 to F5 Plus due to altimeter issues (prone to static) but it would be such a shame to lose battery capabilities. Currently get over days easily on mine and sounds like it might be a lot less with the new model :-(

Comment

• Originally posted by chatlow View Post
                        Are these battery woes likely to be an issue with software? I am about to go from the F5 to F5 Plus due to altimeter issues (prone to static) but it would be such a shame to lose battery capabilities. Currently get over days easily on mine and sounds like it might be a lot less with the new model :-(
                        So far battery life on my 5+ has been as advertised. I'm getting 7%-8% drain per day with no GPS, 30 minute treadmill workout 4 times a week, no music, 20% backlight, but the phone is connected for notifications. That turns out to be 12-13 days of usage.

The issue I have is that sometimes the battery gauge gets stuck on a certain percent. Rebooting the watch clears this and shows the actual percentage. Others have reported more serious issues, but I have not experienced them at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrailCat View Post

So far battery life on my 5+ has been as advertised. I'm getting 7%-8% drain per day with no GPS, 30 minute treadmill workout 4 times a week, no music, 20% backlight, but the phone is connected for notifications. That turns out to be 12-13 days of usage.

The issue I have is that sometimes the battery gauge gets stuck on a certain percent. Rebooting the watch clears this and shows the actual percentage. Others have reported more serious issues, but I have not experienced them at this point.

Thanks - good to know!

Comment

• Originally posted by chatlow View Post
                            Are these battery woes likely to be an issue with software? I am about to go from the F5 to F5 Plus due to altimeter issues (prone to static) but it would be such a shame to lose battery capabilities. Currently get over days easily on mine and sounds like it might be a lot less with the new model :-(
                            Don't mate. The altimeter is no better on the 5plus. It is ok during activities when it constantly calibrates, but outside of that it is pretty random.

Comment

• Originally posted by airtime0007 View Post

Don't mate. The altimeter is no better on the 5plus. It is ok during activities when it constantly calibrates, but outside of that it is pretty random.
                              Interesting. With my current F5, the altimeter is mostly accurate - it's just when it's been subjected to static for sometime (dressing gown sets it off) and it then goes crazy (+/- 2000ft), and it even struggles to calibrate. Activities are also badly affected. The only fix is to soak it in warm water for 10 mins and it behaves again...

Comment

• In that case you will see an improvement. Mine has never had that issue, and has never been off by more than 200ft and calibration immediately puts it right

Comment

Working...
                                X