GPS Accuracy

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can use the lap button but if the distances measured are not correct, then none of the rest of the data will be accurate, such as pace etc. In this case the f3 will be just a stopwatch, a rather expensive one.

Comment

• True - I assumed that you had some markers in the running track / ground that you used to define your distance, or that one (or one and a half etc) lap around the stadium was the distance you were targeting.

The added benefit of using the F3 is of course - as compared to the stopwatch - that you will get heartrate and training effect measured as well as the time

Comment

• I don' do track training very often, but the GPS-distance fits quite well to the distance on the track. Of course I use the marks on the track to set the split times. If you look at these examples the split distances are correct within an error of 2% (1000m) and 4% (400m).

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1834384751
        https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1953737168

Maybe something disturbes the measurement in your stadium (reflections of gps-signal by buildings, any current line, mobile phone base station....)?
        Distance 13,30 km | Time 1:12:58 | Pace 5:29 min/km | Elevation 75 m
        Last edited by alan-campbell; 02-08-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Well no, seems after all that the gps accuracy has deteriorated immensely after the last software upgrade to v8.70.
          This time I did a long run outside by the sea, a route I have been training at weekly during the summer. I never had issues with gps accuracy in this route, this time the error was significant and unjustified- ok, there are trees to block good satellite signal reception but this is the first in many training sessions that I have had such bad results..I will try to revert back to an earlier version, 8.30 or 8.50 which worked fine for me and gave good readings.

ps. the triangle seen in the picture is wrong, all I did was reach the end point and then take the same way back. The deviation is not at all trivial.

Comment

• I recorded a run recently and my Fenix 3 recorded the correct time but totally the wrong distance. It recorded exactly 5 miles for what I thought was, and have since checked on strava routes, a distance of only 3 miles This has totally effected my pace etc (4.57/mi) which is way above my usual. This is not just an inaccuracy in GPS but something much worse in the watch if it is confusing miles with kilometers? Any suggestions gratefully received.

??????https://www.strava.com/activities/1390606483 this is the strava route uploaded straight from garmin connect

Comment

• After downgrading to v8.36 which I thought was more stable and efficient at least from aspect of GPS, I went to the same stadium for a tempo run; just half an hour of medium pace running.. Again, the GPS mapping result is outrageous- in one of the laps I seem to appear at least a km away from the stadium.
              Is my f3sapphire beggining to crack? Should I ask for support, although it is out of warranty anymore?
              Please your advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tenbears10 View Post
                I recorded a run recently and my Fenix 3 recorded the correct time but totally the wrong distance. It recorded exactly 5 miles for what I thought was, and have since checked on strava routes, a distance of only 3 miles This has totally effected my pace etc (4.57/mi) which is way above my usual. This is not just an inaccuracy in GPS but something much worse in the watch if it is confusing miles with kilometers? Any suggestions gratefully received.

??????https://www.strava.com/activities/1390606483 this is the strava route uploaded straight from garmin connect
                For me it looks like an error in the barometer because you did almost 5000 height meters! This is probably too much to be caused by a drastic change of the weather.
                Do you have 3D pace and distance switched on? This could explain the difference. I read that some people solved this issue by cleaning the watch in a surfactant solution and/or ultrasound bath.

Comment

• Originally posted by Janus5555 View Post
                  After downgrading to v8.36 which I thought was more stable and efficient at least from aspect of GPS, I went to the same stadium for a tempo run; just half an hour of medium pace running.. Again, the GPS mapping result is outrageous- in one of the laps I seem to appear at least a km away from the stadium.
                  Is my f3sapphire beggining to crack? Should I ask for support, although it is out of warranty anymore?
                  Please your advice.
                  Do you have GLONASS turned ON?

Do you have Data Recording set to Every Second?

If not, then change to these settings and try again.

HTH

Comment

• Originally posted by Janus5555 View Post
                    After downgrading to v8.36 which I thought was more stable and efficient at least from aspect of GPS, I went to the same stadium for a tempo run; just half an hour of medium pace running.. Again, the GPS mapping result is outrageous- in one of the laps I seem to appear at least a km away from the stadium.
                    Please your advice.

Also very important, in your Run App (assuming that's the App you are using for these runs) do you have GPS set to ON (NOT Ultratrak)?

The GLONASS setting and Data Recording setting are found in the System settings.

HTH

Comment

• The picture speaks for itself. Here is my experiencie with my fenix 3. Worked good the first year, but after 2.5 years of use I now have a perfect paperweight 400€ worth.

Comment

Working...
                      X