Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS Accuracy

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It's not just about GPS chipset used. There are other devices that use it and the accuracy is better than what we see on the Fenix.

    Comment


    • Fellrnr is using smart recording for testing the Fenixes..

      That said, I think the weakness of the watches is the design/antenna but my Fenix 3 works plenty good enough for me.
      It shows where I went and it gives accurate distance.
      Also, keep in mind that the google maps are not accurate, especially when you zoom in a bit on satellite images.
      Fenix 3 Sapphire | HRM-Run | Foot Pod | Tempe
      (Usually on the latest Beta)
      Hard reset, Service menu, Data Backup, Forced Reinstall

      Comment


      • Fenix3 east to west

        I live in Croatia what is in the northern hemisphere. I often run along the river basin which is running east or west. As I run westward I take a watch on my left hand and notice that GPS is quite accurate. When I run in the east and the clock is pointing to the north, the result is bad GPS reception. When I move the watch to the right hand the GPS is more accurate. I'm a pretty slow runner and I move hands just little bit and my hands are up to the body when I'm running. Obviously for Fenix3 and my body is a barrier to a good GPS reception. F3 is useless for hiking, which was the primary purpose I bought it for. Pathetic.

        Comment


        • For people complaining about Fenix 3 GPS accuracy thinking to switch to the new 935: I've got one last week and it's going back. In my activities the 935 hasn't been any better than my trusted Fenix, and the build quality is not comparable. I'm not entirely happy with the cardio sensor, but that's a different matter.
          For my runs, I'm basically getting the same type of GPS track, and GPS accuracy was my main reason to try the 935.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by dgrizelj View Post
            I live in Croatia what is in the northern hemisphere. I often run along the river basin which is running east or west. As I run westward I take a watch on my left hand and notice that GPS is quite accurate. When I run in the east and the clock is pointing to the north, the result is bad GPS reception. When I move the watch to the right hand the GPS is more accurate. I'm a pretty slow runner and I move hands just little bit and my hands are up to the body when I'm running. Obviously for Fenix3 and my body is a barrier to a good GPS reception. F3 is useless for hiking, which was the primary purpose I bought it for. Pathetic.
            Since you live in Croatia, have you tried turning on GLONASS?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by JohnFenix View Post
              Since you live in Croatia, have you tried turning on GLONASS?
              There is nothing on F3 that I did not test. Glonnas off/on, Smart recording/every second etc.
              I have it for a year and I did lot of hiking, running with F3.
              There is no help, the only option is to find how to do activities to get the best recording.

              Comment


              • What is shameful (of biblical proportions) is that my daughter's Forerunner 10 is much more accurate recording a route than my Fenix 3. For what more you want, Garmin people, solve this nonsense.

                Comment


                • I live in Slovenia (very close to Croatia) and the GPS accuracy is worse with GLONASS on.

                  Comment


                  • Hello

                    I am in Italy and my Fenix 3 GPS works terribly if I run (I run at about 4:30km/min to 5:00 km/min) . For example if I run in the same route three times , I can see three horrible separate tracks.
                    Also compared with other gpx which works better Garmin 310XT and other , if I run 9.7 KM , the other watches reports 10km !

                    Now... if I run in bike, surprice, the gps works terribly fine and perfect . If a repat a track , the track is exactly over , and it's precise.

                    Anyone can explain me why Fenix 3 GPS works better at fast speed ?!?

                    Why a gps should work excellent at fast speed and terrible at low speed ? Anyone can explain me ?

                    And finally my question for Garmin Sales. Before the 2 years guarantee I think that I return the watch to Amazon due to bad gps . OR can you consider
                    to offer a generous discount to buy a newer Garmin Fenix 5 with working gps , for all people you already have a Fenix 3 !??!
                    Don't you think that all Fenix 3 owners should ahve this discount ? Let's talk about this Gamrin please !





                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Icehands View Post
                      What is shameful (of biblical proportions) is that my daughter's Forerunner 10 is much more accurate recording a route than my Fenix 3. For what more you want, Garmin people, solve this nonsense.
                      if they can't solve , and I think they can't solve because we are asking it from years , please Garmin give us a voucher to buy a Fenix 5 !

                      Or , ALL TOGHETER , return your guaranteed watch ! I will do it some days before the 2 years guarantee if it will not be fixed.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by gr68 View Post
                        Anyone can explain me why Fenix 3 GPS works better at fast speed ?!?

                        Why a gps should work excellent at fast speed and terrible at low speed ? Anyone can explain me ?
                        Because a significant problem with the Fenix 3 GPS is sensitivity to multipath signals - GPS signals which have reflected off something before the watch receives the signal. This is partly why the performance is better with open sky - there aren't so many objects around to reflect signals.

                        When you are moving quickly, it's easier for the GPS receiver to identify which signals are multipath and which come directly from the satellite, and ignore the multipath signals. This is because the Doppler effect is large, and is different for direct and reflected signals

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X