GPS accuracy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS accuracy

I am very disappointed by the vagueness of the trace provided by the Fenix ​​2. Accuracy is really the worst defect of this watch! I tried everything, with or without WAAS / EGNOS, auto mode, total 1', total reset,
    Is there a problem with the watch, or the software is really buggy?
    In all cases it is unfortunate that Garmin put on the market a product as low finalized. For information, I exchanged a forrunner 620 with Fenix2 and I'm not happy :-( (
    I've owned two FR 305 , a 310 XT (many problems), a 910 XT (some bugs) and a I have an Edge 800 (good) in my possession I think I'll leave Garmin and try Suunto Ambit2.
    Very very disappointed .....
    some links
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/490190219# The traces should be superimposed I ran loop
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/470323502 Roundtrip
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/470323335 I ran loop

FW 2.9 GPS 3.1
    -----RunPhilRun----- Fenix 2

Effectively the accuracy of the Fenix 2 is not the best on the market, but not the worst also

I observed also that for activities in forest, the accuracy decreases drastically ... but I also observed that if before starting your activity, you wait few minutes with a clear sky for having a GPS precision about 10-15m (you can add this field on your activity display) the trace is more precise thereafter...

If you haven't seen before, have a look on this article, very interesting ... http://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy

I'm interested after your try of the Suunto Ambit 2 on the same "Bois de la ville Morvan" , if you can share the GPX file in order to compare the accuracy ;-)

Comment

I’ve had my F2 for a few weeks now. I really love its features, but like the OP said, the accuracy sometimes… wow it can really stink. I’ve been doing all my runs with both the F2 and my 5 year old 305. It’s hard to believe an archaic 5 year old device is hands down more accurate than a new one.

I’d say about half of the time, the F2 is pretty close to the 305′s track, but the other half is just atrocious. It will be tracking fine, then all of a sudden it will wander off and never truly recover. I too find that it has most difficulty with tree cover as that’s where it will normally deviates the most. I've tried it both with and without WAAS. With WAAS, I've even waited a long enough time that all the satellite bars had the little "D"s, but still had accuracy issues. Maybe the receiver is too sensitive and it’s picking up reflections? Or maybe it’s not sensitive enough? I don’t know. But it’s sad that such an old device runs circles around a new and expensive one. I’m hoping a firmware update can improve its accuracy, but if it doesn’t by the time my return period comes to a close, it’s going back. I don’t want to because I really like the watch, but if it can’t do it’s main function well, there’s no reason to keep it.

Comment

I've had both the Ambit2 and now the Fenix 2...looked back at my past runs on the same trails, there wasn't that much difference in their tracking abilities. I can find "not so good" Ambit2 tracks, and I can find some "not so good" Fenix 2 tracks, but I can find just as many acceptable Ambit 2 and Fenix 2 tracks. My problem with Ambit 2 was the Moveslink software crapped out on 3 computers of mine and their tech support couldn't figure out how to get it running again, & other people way smarter w/ computers couldn't get it running...watch is no good if you can't get the runs, hikes, ski off the device. They don't have USB mass storage drive option like F2, it all goes thru that Moveslink pc software that pushes it to Movescount website and that's where sporttracks gets the files from in the movesline software folder.

Comment

I've been loading all my hikes into BaseCamp where I can compare them to GPS tracks from the FR610 and the Montana handheld. So far, the GPS tracks from the fenix 2 hav been pretty much identical, if not a little more precise, than the other two Garmin units.

One thing I've particularly noticed is that the fenix 2 tracks don't jump around as much when I'm stopped as the Montana tracks.

I'm not sure why you guys are seeing those results. Maybe it's just a difference in GPS satellite coverage for your area?

Comment

I have owned a Suunto Ambit, Forerunner 620 and now Fenix 2. All i can say is that all of them has similar reception. i have runned same path and it is minimal difference between them.
            I agree that Garmin should try to improve the accuracy of the GPS.

//Stefan

Comment

I copy and paste what I posted in another thread of this forum; I am specially concerned by the usual (not always, but on many of the straight lines of my workouts) "offset".

After a couple of months of comparisson, I also noticed a worse accuracy than expected and worse than FR610.
              Usually the track I get with the F2 is not "too bad", but the effect of a few meters (cut corner or so) can change the running pace substantially (5 to 15 sec/Km often). When running this makes the difference as you all know.
              Wearing both watches (F2 and FR610, one each wrist) you can see that the stability in pace of the FR610 is much better.
              Then, at home I can see that the track of the FR610 is more accurate, following the road/path much more precisely. The Fenix2 often cut the corners (frecuency of 1 point per sec) or go along the road but in a parallel line with an offset of 10-20meters. (this "offset" is also pretty common and quite strange to me...As if any parameter was not right. If anyone also detected it and can comment here, would be appreciated. (see picture)

I do not know it is a matter of the chip or if it can be solved by software upgrade, but definitely, for running it does not give the accuracy I need to run repetitions, intervals, tempo runs and so on.
              Perhaps in the mountains this difference is not that important (questionable anyway), but, I feel dissapointed to have got such expensive watch and get such a poor performance with the most important sensor.
              Fenix 2 vs Actual-Offset.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JQCXXX View Post
                I’ve had my F2 for a few weeks now. I really love its features, but like the OP said, the accuracy sometimes… wow it can really stink. I’ve been doing all my runs with both the F2 and my 5 year old 305. It’s hard to believe an archaic 5 year old device is hands down more accurate than a new one.

I’d say about half of the time, the F2 is pretty close to the 305′s track, but the other half is just atrocious. It will be tracking fine, then all of a sudden it will wander off and never truly recover. I too find that it has most difficulty with tree cover as that’s where it will normally deviates the most. I've tried it both with and without WAAS. With WAAS, I've even waited a long enough time that all the satellite bars had the little "D"s, but still had accuracy issues. Maybe the receiver is too sensitive and it’s picking up reflections? Or maybe it’s not sensitive enough? I don’t know. But it’s sad that such an old device runs circles around a new and expensive one. I’m hoping a firmware update can improve its accuracy, but if it doesn’t by the time my return period comes to a close, it’s going back. I don’t want to because I really like the watch, but if it can’t do it’s main function well, there’s no reason to keep it.
                I've had the exact same experience with my F2. Great watch but the accuracy sucks compared to my old FR 410 and even my iPhone! There seems to be several F2 users that have had no GPS accuracy issues and a bunch of us with significantly poor results. Maybe there are some defective units floating out there? It's likely too late to exchange mine at the vendor I bought it from but I wonder if Garmin would do it?

Comment

Sure it will.

However, I'd not expect any relief from a replacement unit, as it looks more like a design/firmware issue...

Comment

I agree with CHOSPO.
                    I think it is related to the handling of data got by gps. It might be solved with a gps firmware update. Would it be feasible a copy-paste of FR610 for example?

Comment

Provided that the GPS chipsets are different, no.

Comment

Originally posted by EA2CTB View Post
                        I agree with CHOSPO.
                        I think it is related to the handling of data got by gps. It might be solved with a gps firmware update. Would it be feasible a copy-paste of FR610 for example?
                        Thanks CHOPSO and EA2CTB, I really hope it can be resolved with a firmware update. It's quite annoying and frustrating as it is. I intend to use the unit for navigating in the backcountry this summer but I'll be brining a backup unit along to avid too many unnecessary creek crossings - or more likely the F2 will be the backup unit

Comment

Originally posted by GLENANDJO@HOTMAIL.COM View Post
                          Thanks CHOPSO and EA2CTB, I really hope it can be resolved with a firmware update. It's quite annoying and frustrating as it is. I intend to use the unit for navigating in the backcountry this summer but I'll be brining a backup unit along to avid too many unnecessary creek crossings - or more likely the F2 will be the backup unit
                          I mean "CHOSPO" sorry about that, a bit dyslexic with the typing!

Comment

Perhaps Garmin will prove me wrong, but I personally believe the probability of “solving the issue” by firmware upgrade is close to zero. Significant firmware issues with GPS should be already fixed by now, maybe there remains a small bit that could be improved further but nothing very noticeable… the accuracy is simply about capabilities of the hardware.

Comment

The problem is solved ............
                              I bought an Ambit 2, the trace is very accurate, no reset, no problem with BT (it is not)............
                              I think it was my last Garmin. It's a shame, it's a good watch, but I want something that works even if the last recent features are not implemented.
                              Good luck to all, I hope Garmin will find a solution for you.
                              -----RunPhilRun----- Fenix 2

Comment

Working...
                              X