Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next generation of the D2 pilot watch series

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I now know that the next Garmin pilot watch is based off of the Fenix 5X and that it's called the "D2 Charlie" but I can't confirm that this new pilot watch will be announced tomorrow. Of course, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see the 2 year release pattern along with the use of the phonetic alphabet.

And while I have seen pictures, I won't be posting anything as no one wants the wrath of Garmin brought down on them. But since the D2 Charlie is based on the 5X, the watch is 51x51mm and comes with the sapphire crystal lens, 26mm QuickFit band, a fiber-reinforced polymer case and a built-in wrist-based heart rate monitor. The bezel and the backing, however, are titanium which is an upgrade from the 5X. The buttons are also different from the 5X, modified to match what we are used to on the D2 Bravo; the Garmin logo on the start button is replaced with the stylized direct to "D->" icon, the back button is the nearest logo and the three buttons on the left side are engraved with the power, menu and clock icons just like the previous model. Oh, and the little red ring on the D2/start button is switched to a green-ish colour.

Based on pricing of the 5X I'm guessing this will be *over* $1000 USD, so as to not cannibalize sales of the the old D2 Bravo watches (the D2B Titanium is $899 USD).

And finally, I'll admit I'm quite sad as I had secretly hopped that the D2 Charlie would be another year in release. Based on the lack of updates to the original D2 when the D2 Bravo was released, this probably means the end of any development for the D2 Bravo. If there are any further D2 Bravo updates, I'd surprised if it is anything other than minor fixes.

Cheers,
    Douglas
    Last edited by dbrobert; 07-17-2017, 04:14 PM. Reason: Updated price estimate after noting that the D2 Bravo Titanium is $899!
    Current tech: D2 Bravo (w/ tempe), fēnix 5 (w/ HRM-Run), GPSMAP 296
    Own/owned/used: D2 Bravo, fēnix 5, GPSMAP 396/296/196, GPS12, FR15, FR10
    CIQ Environment: MacOS 10.12.x, Eclipse Neon.3
    My apps: Garmin Connect IQ Store (dbrobert)

Comment

There you have it: D2 Charlie

Comment

I ordered one 3-5 weeks for delivery seems to be a nice upgrade. The screen being color will be a nice change\from the d2 bravo titanium grey scale.

Comment

received the d2 charlie today and it is an upgrade in just about all ways. the biggest for me is readability in lower light situations and also the print on the notifications is bold so easier to read on aging eyes. the d2 bravo titanium was difficult for me to read inside. I think they did Nice job on this for an upgrade.

Comment

Can you please share pictures?
            Last edited by SUSSAMB; 07-25-2017, 03:09 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote

Comment

Yes, I too would like to see more than the marketing pictures. From the store pics and the marketing video it seems like basically a D2 Bravo with a base map, NEXRAD weather and access to airport information but otherwise the same. Not to diminish those features but not sure I would utilize a watch as a source of airport info. And have they addressed any of the sore spots for those of us outside of the USA (metric, configurable O2 alert, etc)?

Cheers,
              Douglas
              Last edited by SUSSAMB; 08-03-2017, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Orcawealth View Post
                received the d2 charlie today and it is an upgrade in just about all ways. the biggest for me is readability in lower light situations and also the print on the notifications is bold so easier to read on aging eyes. the d2 bravo titanium was difficult for me to read inside. I think they did Nice job on this for an upgrade.
                Does the D2 Charlie have the topo map capabilities similar to the Fenix 5x? I am assuming so but just wanted to confirm.

Comment

There's a couple of D2 Charlie videos posted by julianvm; one on unboxing and one with an initial review. You can find them on YouTube:Cheers,
                  Douglas

Comment

Looks good. Waiting for a detailed review and some real-world pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost_rider_av8or View Post
                      Looks good. Waiting for a detailed review and some real-world pictures.
                      I think the potential is there, and without question the fēnix 5/5X series on which the D2 Charlie has more computing power, more storage space and more base features than any previous models.

However, it doesn't look like much improvement was made to the METAR widget so I'm guessing that means the majority of the time was spent adding support for the basemap stuff and the NEXRAD layer. In fact, one could argue (based on the first look from julianvm's video) that the METAR widget is actually worse given that the UI is forced to use the larger fonts and as a result some of the text appears to be clipped. And if that's the case (that the previous functionality wasn't improved) then I don't hold much hope for any other changes that are needed for multi-activity use outside of the USA (configurable O2 alert, support for metric on the watch but aviation units on the aviation apps, fix for using the tempe device, etc). Also, the fact that retrieving the NEXRAD data took 23 seconds is highly disappointing.

Cheers,
                      Douglas
                      Last edited by dbrobert; 08-10-2017, 02:33 AM.

Comment

I find the nexrad very useful and the initial download takes me only about 10 seconds and the re-size and scroll are immed. i use the nexrad while heading to the airport and its handy when boating or playing golf. the biggest upgrade is in the training apps and the font. For me I found the the d2 bravo almost unreadable without my glasses this one is much better. It is an all around better device. I think they did a nice job. I can not comment on the 02 sensor as its not pertinent to me as I fly below 12k always. for those of yo that are looking at it and own the old d2titanium the old band fits the new one. I bought the d2 charlie with the quick release straps and just took the titanium band off my old d2 bravo saves you a couple of hundred bucks i think.

Comment

I just received my D2 Charlie. Although I haven't had the opportunity to play with it too much I was a little bummed that the watch face I was running on my D2 Bravo (Clarity Pilot White (old)) wasn't available on the new watch. The bracelet on my old Titanium was easier to open, just squeeze and open.

I haven't been able to figure out how to change the digital face background color to white. The menu sequence in the manual doesn't seem to do it.

Also looking for Jumpmaster on the new watch.

Comment

Originally posted by daffern1 View Post
                            Although I haven't had the opportunity to play with it too much I was a little bummed that the watch face I was running on my D2 Bravo (Clarity Pilot White (old)) wasn't available on the new watch.
                            The "Clarity" series of watch faces was written by "julienvm", who also just got a D2 Charlie so perhaps he will update them to support the D2 Charlie soon. Try using the "Contact Developer" link on the watch face page. That said, the new FW for the fēnix 5 watches (including the D2 Charlie) allows for a lot of customization so that might suffice?

I haven't been able to figure out how to change the digital face background color to white. The menu sequence in the manual doesn't seem to do it.
                            To change the background colour, long press the settings/menu button. Select "Watch Face" and you will be given the option to change/select a new watch face. If you want to keep your existing face, press the select/start button. Then you'll see two options: Apply and Customize. Select "Customize" and then scroll the menu down to "Bkgd. Color". You can then use the up/down buttons to select the background colour.

Also looking for Jumpmaster on the new watch.
                            If you don't see Jumpmaster, it might be on the watch but simply not listed in the "favourites". Long press menu and scroll and select "Settings". Select "Activities & Apps". Scroll to "Add Apps". Then scroll through the list and look for "Jumpmaster". The option is available on my fēnix 5 but I'm not sure about the D2C because I don't yet have one.

Cheers,
                            Douglas

Comment

the d2 bravo titanium band works on the charlie just fine. I also noticed that the nexrad download is much slower on an iphone versus android. I have both phones and was interested as to why the guy in the you tube was claiming 23 seconds.... well it turns out on an iphone it takes that long on my samsung s8 only about 10-12 seconds.

Comment

Thanks Douglas and Orcawealth

Comment

Working...
                                X